AFK'ing in ranked games.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

feathand

03-22-2012

This probably is just coming off as another QQ elo hell thread, but its not. It's a QQ afk in ranked thread.

Right now i'm sitting at 1000 elo. I'm pretty much pro material. well no, not all. this is my first season playing ranked and I feel that my elo is where it should be.

One thing that i don't get is people rage afking. i get that this is the supposed 'hell' of ranked but that's no reason to afk out. when people make the slightest mistakes, or the player in question doesn't get their way, its an instant afk. and taht causes the chain reaction where i've seen up to two more people on my team afking out..

long story short, people have no patience for anything in low elo ranked and will afk at the first bad thing that happens in a game.

does this happen to anyone else at my level elo?

do i just ignore everyone rat the start at the game to save my sanity?

am i getting very unlucky?

should i quit this game or not waste my time with ranked?

(PS, i'm by no means perfect, but ive never intentionally afk'd out of a ranked game and dont plan to )

HG COOKIEMONSTER

03-22-2012

I don't know what it is, but the same thing has been happening to me in all my games and it's really annoying me.

lolguy999

03-22-2012

play more, it'll even out if you're the real deal

Aikimiller

03-23-2012

In theory, there is less chance of having someone afk on your team than on the other team (you have 4 random ******bags on your team, and 5 on the other). Assuming that AFKers are a random distribution- and not occuring because you're raging your teammates to the point where they leave, then you should win more games due to afk than you lose. And, playing enough games, it should even out.

In my experience, this is not true. Now, I suspect this is in large part because we no longer see the message saying someone on the other team has disconnected until 5 minutes later, but still, it seems that these players are always on my team. And then losing because of that always has a cumulative effect- you play worse next game cause you're in a worse mood- so an AFK or a DC tends to lose you 2 or three games.

In the end, the only real solution is to grind more games. The elo system isn't a quick ratings gain system, in it's applications in Chess and other games, people compete for years, and years, and years, for them to to get to an elo that reflects their skill level accurately. The people at a high ranking are, for the most part, playing a ridiculous number of games.

Pokur

03-23-2012

Most of the players that are 2000+ play 15-20 games a day, a normal player 1000-1600 probably play less than half that. Relax and enjoy the game.

Dualimpact

03-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokur View Post
Most of the players that are 2000+ play 15-20 games a day, a normal player 1000-1600 probably play less than half that. Relax and enjoy the game.
Not trying to flame but if you play 15 games a day you wont have time to leave the house unless every game is /ff'd at 20min, and I cant imagine higher elo games are general shorter than 40min (average)

Exceldrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikimiller View Post
In theory, there is less chance of having someone afk on your team than on the other team...you should win more games due to afk than you lose. And, playing enough games, it should even out.

...an AFK or a DC tends to lose you 2 or three games.

In the end, the only real solution is to grind more games...
I like what that guy said. ^

Some tips to help you climb out of ELO 'hell':

If you do have a bad game go ahead and get a snack or a drink. Walk it off and try to forget about it then get back at it and try again.

The trick that helps the most is not to get discouraged when you're at a low ELO. If you get mad and start raging you'll only make others mad which compounds the problem.

Try to stay positive and complement your teammates on good plays. Stay vocal! A team that communicates well will do better than one that doesn't.

Keep at it! You will never win if you don't try. (Sometimes it can help to play a carry if you are good at one of those roles. The ability to make game changing plays is greater than if you're just support.)

Another thing I've found is that the time of day I play drastically changes my chances of winning. A certain demographic will pervade during certain hours. Try playing at different times and find a pool of people that play well with you.