[Strategy] Twisted Treeline: The New 3v3 Metagame

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zohariel

Senior Member

10-22-2009

Just to point out, since most of this map is jungle good jungling heroes just became a whole lot better. Warwick in particular has brutalized teams I've played with in pugs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Logo

Senior Member

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohariel View Post
Just to point out, since most of this map is jungle good jungling heroes just became a whole lot better. Warwick in particular has brutalized teams I've played with in pugs.
At the same time the jungle is easier to guard by laning champions making it harder to jungle unharassed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jackbnimble

Junior Member

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo View Post
At the same time the jungle is easier to guard by laning champions making it harder to jungle unharassed.

It also makes it easy for lane champions to jungle some too, I've been playing a lot of twitch and he is really good on this map, with the ability to move effortlessly between lanes and the capability to surprise regularly he has a lot of power.

A good rule of thumb, if the heroes in one one of your lanes get killed off you better get back to your tower quick as you can bet they are coming for you next.

Oh yes, this point has already been made but heroes that are strong 1v1 are especially so here, the ability to eleminate a target rapidly is excellent even if it leaves you weak, as 2v1 is a lot better then 4v1


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RamboBatman

Senior Member

10-23-2009

I think the greatest danger in TT is getting outleveled. In 5v5 if one player gets fed its very feasible to group up and gank him as a team. However, it doesn't seem impossible to me that a lvl 8 Amumu could kill and entire 3-man team of lvl 5s if he was rocking an elixer or buff of some kind. And, if he doesn't kill them, they're not assured of killing such a tanky character. I think a lot of similar situations could arise if people aren't careful. The solution: stay with the xp. If you're doing too much running around and not enough killing (of any kind: neutrals, minions, champs) then you're probably going to lose. Setting up ganks is extremely important because, if you fail to gank you just lost out on xp. If you're jungling you need to be able to do it quickly or you're going to fall behind or. more likely, get ganked while you're occupied.


also, great guide, well reasoned and well explained.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coleman

Senior Member

10-23-2009

I have some Kat ideas for Twisted Treeline. I don't believe it needs it's own topic. I figured I'd just add to this one

First of all the ideal item builds seen in both guides are out, you will not get enough gold fast enough. If you do somehow then feel free to sell and switch over but it's not really necessary or worth it.

So what should you get?

First off I'd start the game with Elixir of Brilliance and 4 health potions. DO NOT DRINK THE ELIXIR RIGHT AWAY. This can not be stressed enough, wait until you are ready to shunpo into that first champion and then down it, not before. This elixir will make shunpo spam stupidly effective early game.

For 300 gold every 4 minutes, I'd keep it on the whole game if you can.

Go for Fiendish Codex after the obligatory Sorcere's Shoes, it's cheap and if you have a cooldown build already it will just make your FREE abilities happen that much more often. Yes we don't need the mana regen, it doesn't matter, the cooldown reduction and AP will feed your shunpo and ultimate.

Spirit Visage is good for your 3rd item, you should be out of health potions by now so the regen helps and it gives even more cooldown reduction and magic resist, and lets face it, 3v3 is a magician's game, magic resist is good.

So where do we stand?

Sorcerer's Shoes > Fiendish Codex > Spirit Visage
925 > 1245 > 1250 = 3420

In 3v3 that might be it for you. But if you get more I'd get Sheen. Think about it. After every time you throw a blade, shunpo, or even tap killer instincts you do double damage. With a good cooldown build and the above items you are doing Shunpo every 3 seconds. Killer Instincts every 9, and Bouncing Blade every 5 seconds.

E hit, W hit, Q hit, E hit, Q hit, W (probably out of range by now unless they are melee and really stupid) E hit. It adds up fast, and with the AP build those Es hurt.

Is this the best build ever? No, in 5v5 you'd be stupid not to go for the obviously better items like Rylai's Scepter (3145 total...) but in 3v3 it's usually suicide, you need to depend on abilities, elixirs, and less expensive items.

So ultimately:

Elixir of Brilliance as much as you can afford it.
Sorcerer's Shoes > Fiendish Codex > Spirit Visage/Sheen (order depends on game) > Lich's Bane (if it takes that long)

I am open to ideas for better items, but I like to harrass with Shunpo so this works for me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Logo

Senior Member

10-23-2009

Interesting take on it but what about +HP? Your build lacks any real survivability or +HP. I don't think a 3v3 Katrina needs a lot but she's going to need something isn't she?

What about doing something like
Boots -> Soulstealer -> Spirit
925 -> 1845 -> 1250 = 3720.

You get more AP as a trade off for CD reduction. You can pick up Codex after Visage but I'd recommend something with +Hp I suppose. You also get more per component. With 3v3 being hyper aggressive you should be picking up a lot of assists and kills making Soulstealer one of the best returns on investments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coleman

Senior Member

10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo View Post
Interesting take on it but what about +HP? Your build lacks any real survivability or +HP. I don't think a 3v3 Katrina needs a lot but she's going to need something isn't she?

What about doing something like
Boots -> Soulstealer -> Spirit
925 -> 1845 -> 1250 = 3720.

You get more AP as a trade off for CD reduction. You can pick up Codex after Visage but I'd recommend something with +Hp I suppose. You also get more per component. With 3v3 being hyper aggressive you should be picking up a lot of assists and kills making Soulstealer one of the best returns on investments.
I'll give that a shot. I guess I could start building Phage, that has some hitpoints on it.

Edit: Nevermind I was being dumb, I wasn't thinking about components. That makes sense. If the loss of ability speed doesn't hurt me too much that should be great.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Logo

Senior Member

10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
I'll give that a shot. I guess I could start building Phage, that has some hitpoints on it.

Edit: Nevermind I was being dumb, I wasn't thinking about components. That makes sense. If the loss of ability speed doesn't hurt me too much that should be great.
I talked to my friend who plays Katarina and he actually goes Spirit Visage then Soulstealer. I guess you give up some charging of the soul stealer but you get the CD reduction and survivability sooner.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodba7h

Senior Member

10-23-2009

Rylai's first is my favorite way to play.
+HP, +AP, +slow is too good to pass up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Logo

Senior Member

10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodba7h View Post
Rylai's first is my favorite way to play.
+HP, +AP, +slow is too good to pass up.
Are you paying attention though? 3k gold is almost the entire amount of gold you'll make in a 3v3 game after boots and elixirs.


1234567 ... 9