Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragoeth

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearCatalyst View Post
What's considered a good ASVAB score? I took the test when I was 15 because it got me out of class, and I got a 91.
The total ASVAB score is a percentile ranking essentially. 91 means you scored higher than 91% of the people who took it. 40 is the current minimum I believe. Anything above 90 gets you into pretty much any job you want to pick that is available. I got a 98 myself since I only missed one question and my recruiter told me to pick any job I wanted from a list. (picked 13F which I wanted from the start which surprised him since I was way above the requirements but I wanted to blow **** up so hey!)

But the ASVAB total score itself isn't what is used to determine job eligibility. Its a combination of about 5 or so raw scores in different categories then the total is just more of a ranking. The GT score or "General Techinical" is one of the most important and if you still have your results you can see all the raw scores broken down.

But yes a 91 is very good.

Dragoeth

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
I'm going to MCRD-SD, so i know there's a lot of hills. But i also do a lot of HIIT on hills, Also, I don't want ANY leader position. The less noticeable i am the better. However, if i am given a position, i will take it and run with it. My wife will send me mail and she already knows what she can/can't send me. I think i'll be looking forward for every sunday since thats the closest "day off" we get during boot camp. But who knows, i may go by chow time, i hear thats a popular way to gauge the day.
I'm not a marine but I am army so from my exp in boot camp (graduated 4th out of 155 soldiers) I would tell you what someone told me. First couple of weeks lay it low and don't make a name for yourself by doing something stupid. Just work your ass off and they will undoubtedly see it. Same time though don't be a kiss ass, don't be a suck up, don't be a show off. Once the atmosphere starts to change and the DI's knows everyone by name, volunteer for EVERYTHING! Trust me it sucks real bad but if they say something like "I need two guys to do ******* now!" You run your ass off to get up there and tell them you want to do it no matter what it is.

Brains, strength, and stamina get you far in basic but absolute motivation and determination gets you farther. And thats what the instructors want to see. They want to see you trying harder than everyone else rather than doing better than the others.

Anyways just my advice. Worked well for me.

FearCatalyst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoeth View Post
The total ASVAB score is a percentile ranking essentially. 91 means you scored higher than 91% of the people who took it. 40 is the current minimum I believe. Anything above 90 gets you into pretty much any job you want to pick that is available. I got a 98 myself since I only missed one question and my recruiter told me to pick any job I wanted from a list. (picked 13F which I wanted from the start which surprised him since I was way above the requirements but I wanted to blow **** up so hey!)

But the ASVAB total score itself isn't what is used to determine job eligibility. Its a combination of about 5 or so raw scores in different categories then the total is just more of a ranking. The GT score or "General Techinical" is one of the most important and if you still have your results you can see all the raw scores broken down.

But yes a 91 is very good.
Word, brah. I took the test about six years ago, so I don't know where the results are anymore. Plus, I think they're invalid after a year or two. I'd have to take it again if I were to enlist.

Insidious Ghost

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
Also- congrats to your brother, i'v seen some "surviving the cut" on marine scout snipers. And i pretty much **** my pants seeing the day 2 course's.
Yeah, I watched that episode too. For my brother's training, out of 15 soldiers in his battalion only 3 made it past the 2nd day (my bro included). At the end each passing marine was given that Hog's Tooth and my brother let me have while he went over seas to remind me of responsibility and discipline. Pretty epic moment.

KonFewShuN

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirgh0st View Post
Yeah, I watched that episode too. For my brother's training, out of 15 soldiers in his battalion only 3 made it past the 2nd day (my bro included). At the end each passing marine was given that Hog's Tooth and my brother let me have while he went over seas to remind me of responsibility and discipline. Pretty epic moment.
A lot of marines don't make it through scout sniper training, but there's a reason why so few do. because your brother is gonna be that person that nobody knows about. but plays one of the biggest roles when going into any territory.

UnicornViolet

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoeth View Post
Also hes right. Marines aren't that bad ass on an individual level. Rangers, Delta, Seals, SF, Snipers and those sorts are scary as ****. I've met rangers before and done some specialized trainining in the army with SF as my instructors and an every day marine is a joke in comparison.
Tell me something, Julian Helsper, when exactly did you train with Special Forces? You claimed in another thread to have only finished Basic Training six months ago, and to have never been mobilized. You don't have the rank, or time of service to attend SFAS, so I am just curious when, and why you were at Fort Bragg? Also where did you meet these Rangers?

I just forwarded a copy of this thread to Charles.Cox.@us.army.mil because I am sure that your CSM will be very interested in learning what type of Specialized Training you have so he can get your ERB updated.

Pinzly

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Justice View Post
There's nothing really all that badass about the marines. They just have a stigma in the general publics eyes because that's how they advertise themselves.

Your average joe marine isn't all that impressive. The hand to hand combat training in boot camp is laughable. You'd get more out of a krav maga or muay thai class than boot camp. The endurance stuff is also pretty laughable. The Crucible is not difficult. The whole system revolves around making marines *feel* like they are badass so when someone says "Go into that building with lots of armed *******s cause you're a badass." Joe marine goes: "Derp.. aye aye sir! Hoorah!".

Now this does not include specially trained military such as force recon, snipers, delta force, rangers, and green berets. Those guys are badasses.
We capitalize "Marine", carry on.

Semper Damnatus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Lets take a moment to realize, HOW FUCKING OLD THIS THREAD IS!

c4lm

12-03-2012

marines so gay

Arroo

12-04-2012

This was when Mere was still calling herself Unicorn Violet.