Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KonFewShuN

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoeth View Post
The MMA style of fighting they teach in combatives is **** for real world situations. Its fighting based on a points system with rules... In a real life situation if someone put me in a rear mount, instead of trying to break the hold like they told me I would reach back and rip and ear off or stick my finger in one of their eyes (this is just one example...) Krav Magra is something that we need to teach instead. Its why so many special forces and military around the world learn it instead.

Also hes right. Marines aren't that bad ass on an individual level. Rangers, Delta, Seals, SF, Snipers and those sorts are scary as ****. I've met rangers before and done some specialized trainining in the army with SF as my instructors and an every day marine is a joke in comparison. Marines have the hardest basic training but thats about it... after that all the training and basics are the same as it is for the army combat MOS's. Really they are ALL stigma at this point. Its slightly harder to become a marine than it is to be in a different branch because they are more selective however at the end of the day half of their training is just being told over and over that they are better than everyone else and the best fighting force that ever lived and little pvt joe is going to believe that.

Got all the respect in the world for the marines but don't put them on a pedestal.
I think it's popular that Marines will re-enlist in a different branch, specifically FOR the Spec. Ops units. But if you read or look up a lot of the training these special Op. units do, the marines do them in 13 weeks of boot camp. At the end of the day, While i respect all branch's of military. I would feel safer with a Marine watching my post than anyone else. But that's bias Brotherhood.

KonFewShuN

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirgh0st View Post
My brother is a Scout Sniper. He is currently in the homeland but he trains people on base. He always has awesome stories about how hard he pushes them and stuff. Who knows, maybe I'll end up joining them. I've definitely thought about. Heck, I've even signed up for all the information. I also get a lot of encouragement coming from a family with plenty of military background.
Man, if you have a passion for what your family has done. I say go for it, I know personally, it runs in my blood. For me, it feels like an obligation to serve. I'm not a patriotic person, but i love everything the marines stand for. I want to be the only son of 4, who can be a Pall Bearer at my grandpa's funeral. in my Dress Blue's. Just the thought of that is enough for me.

Also- congrats to your brother, i'v seen some "surviving the cut" on marine scout snipers. And i pretty much **** my pants seeing the day 2 course's.

Colonel Justice

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
I don't think you know a single person in the Marine Corps. Nor do you have any actual knowledge of any branch in the military. Marines are all trained to kill, regardless if you go to MCT or SOI. Also, Marines also become MMA teachers/experts. My recruiter is a black belt in BJJ.

Also, Crucible not hard? C'mon man, stop trolling.
Quit making assumptions. I spent 5 years in the marine corps. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune North Carolina and spent 1 tour in Iraq. I would say I'm fairly qualified to comment on the matter.

And I will still stick to my guns, boot camp is not that difficult and neither is the crucible. Maybe for a 17 or 18 year old who is barely off their mama's teet and hasn't seen anything outside of their small ass town in nowheresville, America. But I was 22 when I joined and had already had many experiences in several countries around the world.

Yes, waking up early and getting yelled at and running everyday is annoying, but its not hard. Drill instructors are annoying, but once you learn their tricks, they're pussycats. The shooting range is easy as hell to pass and again, the hand to hand combat training is done on a mass impersonal scale so proper technique is not learned and basic tan belt MCMAP is fairly useless.

I'm not saying boot camp is useless. I learned a lot of great things and got a lot out of it. but the argument here, is that your average everyday marine is not a super badass. They are good at being front line grunt riflemen, and yes, your average front line marines are probably the best basic front line infantry force on the planet. But that just means they're disciplined and well trained AS A FIGHTING FORCE.

I've been in the marines. I've been around tons of marines. The special forces guys are awesome. The average marine though is a cocky mofo who *thinks* he's a badass because he was trained to. I have some respect for them, but I'm just keeping it real. Don't buy into the hype. Go air force.

KonFewShuN

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Justice View Post
Quit making assumptions. I spent 5 years in the marine corps. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune North Carolina and spent 1 tour in Iraq. I would say I'm fairly qualified to comment on the matter.

And I will still stick to my guns, boot camp is not that difficult and neither is the crucible. Maybe for a 17 or 18 year old who is barely off their mama's teet and hasn't seen anything outside of their small ass town in nowheresville, America. But I was 22 when I joined and had already had many experiences in several countries around the world.

Yes, waking up early and getting yelled at and running everyday is annoying, but its not hard. Drill instructors are annoying, but once you learn their tricks, they're pussycats. The shooting range is easy as hell to pass and again, the hand to hand combat training is done on a mass impersonal scale so proper technique is not learned and basic tan belt MCMAP is fairly useless.

I'm not saying boot camp is useless. I learned a lot of great things and got a lot out of it. but the argument here, is that your average everyday marine is not a super badass. They are good at being front line grunt riflemen, and yes, your average front line marines are probably the best basic front line infantry force on the planet. But that just means they're disciplined and well trained AS A FIGHTING FORCE.

I've been in the marines. I've been around tons of marines. The special forces guys are awesome. The average marine though is a cocky mofo who *thinks* he's a badass because he was trained to. I have some respect for them, but I'm just keeping it real. Don't buy into the hype. Go air force.
You have some good points, i know it's hyped up a lot, but i think that's necessary. I'm 23, the oldest guy in my poolee group and i'm nervous as hell to leave. i mainly just want to get through black friday.

Also - I have no desire to go in any branch besides the Corps.

Colonel Justice

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonFewShuN View Post
You have some good points, i know it's hyped up a lot, but i think that's necessary. I'm 23, the oldest guy in my poolee group and i'm nervous as hell to leave. i mainly just want to get through black friday.

Also - I have no desire to go in any branch besides the Corps.
I understand. I got through 3 months by just getting from meal to meal. I basically measured out my time by meal periods.

Are you going to PI or San Diego? I hope for your sake, that you are going to San Diego. Better weather and scenery, no sand fleas. If you go to PI, then... I'm sorry.

Remember, the Drill Instructors aren't actually mad at you. They will yell at you no matter what. You will fail no matter what and you can not earn their approval. Don't take anything personally. Just let them get in your face and yell at you, and you yell your "Aye aye sir"s as loud as you can right back and remember they'll be on the next guy in less than a minute.

If you got good asvab scores, Hope that you get the position of scribe. They'll hand out platoon positions after you move from the receiving platoon to your permanent platoon. The last position you want is Squad leader. Twice the responsibility, twice the pain for failure.

During the first 24-48 hours there will be a piss test. They will fill you with water and march you around all day and not let you go to the bathroom until the piss test. At least that's what they did to us. It sucked. Do what you gotta do.

Hope you got good friends or lady friends to send you mail. Mail time is the best time. and hopefully you don't have anyone who will mess with you and send you stuff that will get you in trouble

Colonel Justice

03-16-2012

Also, look, I know I rag on the marines a lot but that's because I feel they ****ed me over. I think its good for young men to go through boot camp, it's the closest thing we have to a real rite of passage. I have respect for the marines as a fighting force. It's just not the path for me.

So congratulations on your decisions man, and I know you will get a lot out of it.

Dragoeth

03-16-2012

Reason why a lot of marines change branches on reenlistment... the marines are hard to stay in. Unless you're the best of the group they won't let you move up and reenlist. The marines are too small to let everyone stay past a few enlistments and they would rather just keep letting new recruits come in and washing out the guys who have been in for 3-6 years. So many marines end up in the navy/airforce/army because making a career out of it is a lot easier and secure in other branches.

KonFewShuN

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Justice View Post
I understand. I got through 3 months by just getting from meal to meal. I basically measured out my time by meal periods.

Are you going to PI or San Diego? I hope for your sake, that you are going to San Diego. Better weather and scenery, no sand fleas. If you go to PI, then... I'm sorry.

Remember, the Drill Instructors aren't actually mad at you. They will yell at you no matter what. You will fail no matter what and you can not earn their approval. Don't take anything personally. Just let them get in your face and yell at you, and you yell your "Aye aye sir"s as loud as you can right back and remember they'll be on the next guy in less than a minute.

If you got good asvab scores, Hope that you get the position of scribe. They'll hand out platoon positions after you move from the receiving platoon to your permanent platoon. The last position you want is Squad leader. Twice the responsibility, twice the pain for failure.

During the first 24-48 hours there will be a piss test. They will fill you with water and march you around all day and not let you go to the bathroom until the piss test. At least that's what they did to us. It sucked. Do what you gotta do.

Hope you got good friends or lady friends to send you mail. Mail time is the best time. and hopefully you don't have anyone who will mess with you and send you stuff that will get you in trouble
I'm going to MCRD-SD, so i know there's a lot of hills. But i also do a lot of HIIT on hills, Also, I don't want ANY leader position. The less noticeable i am the better. However, if i am given a position, i will take it and run with it. My wife will send me mail and she already knows what she can/can't send me. I think i'll be looking forward for every sunday since thats the closest "day off" we get during boot camp. But who knows, i may go by chow time, i hear thats a popular way to gauge the day.

FearCatalyst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

What's considered a good ASVAB score? I took the test when I was 15 because it got me out of class, and I got a 91.

Colonel Justice

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearCatalyst View Post
What's considered a good ASVAB score? I took the test when I was 15 because it got me out of class, and I got a 91.
Anything above 90 is really good.