Hero Identfiying = harder than DOTA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

07-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faro View Post
Must be hard finding minotaur in a crowd. Jesus it's like I'm a forum stalker .

Seriously though, finding Annie in a very large wave of creeps is annoying. Not really much you can do, but it is kind of an annoyance and just takes time to get used to. Also, don't do what I did and think twitch was hiding in his creep pack the whole time.
The minimap is your friend.

Teran

07-27-2009

I occasionally have trouble with this but honestly I like it that way.

Also, some heroes in dota were quite difficult to pick out of a crowd, I wouldn't say the glow was a universal solution.

Sarusta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-28-2009

Sometimes I get confused in the middle of a large fight, let's be honest, you're going to be moving your camera around a lot to look out for impending danger or low HP champions to take out. More often than not, I can't find my own hero afterwards. Worse yet, I would sometimes move my camera out into a battle to watch it and move my champion into the fray, but then not even realize that my own champion came into the battle already.

Hell, I even mistake my champions for other allied champions nearby sometimes. Running with an ally to chase, then realize that I was way in front of the tank instead of the other way around, then got ass****ed by a surprise turnaround gank.

I guess it's something that you just have to get used to, but it might help if there was a way of making your hero more distinguishable from the others, spacebar doesn't cut it enough most of the time, and you don't even want to be taking the camera away in the middle of a fight. Looking out for your target isn't that bad, since right clicking a hero will give them that handy red aura, or the giant target symbol from a ping.

whitingnick

07-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyrus View Post
The minimap is your friend.
minimap does no good for a fight... Come on, no one looks at their minimap to find an enemy when they are close by. Minimaps are good for finding where and enemy is on the map, not which enemy they are on your screen.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find heroes, it's just much easier in DOTA. DOTA's hero's are more distinguishable, and I like it that way more. In LoL, heroes can get lost in the crowd, ally or enemy. It'd be nice it they gave LoL hero's a glow. Plus, it makes them look cooler, like they are different

Ron Fendo

07-28-2009

I think this will be fixed in draft games where there isn't Doup heroes. Personally thats my only complaint is the ability to have doup heroes.

KoOkies

07-28-2009

Ive never had this problem, altough I use to in Dota. The red vs green healthbars really seems to make it easy. Maybe thats just me though.

Teran

07-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitingnick View Post
minimap does no good for a fight... Come on, no one looks at their minimap to find an enemy when they are close by. Minimaps are good for finding where and enemy is on the map, not which enemy they are on your screen.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find heroes, it's just much easier in DOTA. DOTA's hero's are more distinguishable, and I like it that way more. In LoL, heroes can get lost in the crowd, ally or enemy. It'd be nice it they gave LoL hero's a glow. Plus, it makes them look cooler, like they are different
I look at my mini map constantly. If I'm engaged in a fight I can win, I don't want it to turn into a fight I can't win with more champions from the other team jumping in.

It doesn't help find people or things in battle but it lets you see who's coming if anyone.

Gimpb

07-28-2009

I think it's something that stems from more complex art. It looks nice if you have a few minutes to study the model and get a feel for the whole thing but at a glance complex modeling can look like a jumbled pile of who knows what.

There is certainly some elegance in simplicity.

Phantommmmenace

07-28-2009

So far I've yet to lose perception of my hero or any other, unless of course your that Judicator on crystal meth and your speed is ridiculous, and I know I don't have super-human observational skills either. I think the more you play, the easier it becomes to track champions, even in a hail of blinding projectiles and AoEs. As a matter of fact, it almost becomes natural after a while, and soon your eyes are just attracted to the shape and color of each champion.

The minimap in LoL is pretty much easy mode. It gives a giant red bubble to all your enemies and has tiny portraits of their champions inside of them. Course many of the portraits aren't recognizable, but again, after some experience you learn that the bubble with the red globbed stuff and some yellow underneath is actally Cho'Grath, and hes comming straight for you. So you look at your screen and sure enough there he is. If you make a habbit of checking your minimap like it's your millionare bank account, identifying champions in the actual enviornment is simple.

zellogs

07-28-2009

I think added colours to each individual player is the key here, every health bar should be coloured differantly to represent their player. It'd make it so easy to tell the enemy team from your team, and see exactly which ally is low if you know what colour they are playing. I really dislike the generic green healthbars in teamfights it just adds to this confusion.