Champion Bluepill

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackultra

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I'm sure by now everyone has realized that every champion has a Teleport home skill. It's got (i believe) an 8 second casting time, which is stopped on attack. Essentially this gives each champion a quick and easy way to retreat back to base to heal and/or shop without taking too much time out of their schedule.

In my personal opinion, I think this feature should be taken out.

"Why?" You say? Let me explain. With this teleport home skill (henceforth known as the bluepill) it's very easy to sit by your tower and chill for 8 seconds, with the reward being a safe and quick travel back to base to heal and shop. However, I think this takes away from a very important aspect to the game, ganking.

(Once again I'm going to compare LoL to DotA. Again, I know this isn't DotA, but LoL's roots come from DotA's major success, so I think it's necessary to have some of the same elements)

Just earlier I made a post about how the LoL game duration is significantly lower than the average DotA game duration. The bluepill is a heavy contributer to that fact. Instead of taking up an inventory slot (not to mention a tad bit of gold as well) to have the safe and secure passage to the shop, LoL gives every player a bluepill (which takes no mana, it's free of charge, and to my knowledge has no cooldown as well).

Yes... longer game durations would encourage more farming instead of pushing (a lot of frustration comes out when the winning team chooses to farm continuously instead of just ending the game), which can be an issue, but also that gives time for the losing team to possibly make a comback.

IMO, the current bluepill needs to be changed somehow. whether it's a long cooldown placed on it, one time usage per life (cools down after revival) or something.

Feedback?

SeVIIen

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

The only Bluepill nerf I see necessary would be a short cooldown like 30 seconds, so you can't Bluepill, interrupt by running 5 steps back then Bluepill again.

micha

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima View Post
The only Bluepill nerf I see necessary would be a short cooldown like 30 seconds, so you can't Bluepill, interrupt by running 5 steps back then Bluepill again.
This! Maybe a bit shorter CD but thats something wich sould be in, with everything elese im ok, its not dota it makes game faster and i really hadn't so much situations where someone just bluepilled out... so i dont see any problems with it

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-13-2009
1 of 4 Riot Posts

We made the value judgement that running to base = un-fun, that buying items = fun, and that combat = fun.

So we added recall in order to maximize the fun activities, and reduce the un-fun activities.

L0CUST

The Council

07-13-2009

The way to fix this is to reward farming more, so blue pilling back to base to avoid ganks isn't as appealing. Also, its 8 seconds.. stopped by ANY damage... imo the blue pill was a great idea, and i love it.

Honestly... I think it needs a buff so it can be used to defend against back doors. Allow it to teleport anywhere inside your base (the building being teleported to takes 50% less damage).

Also, you can blue pill back to base... but then you have to run to a lane. The run back is rather slow and doesn't fit well with the speed of the game. I really think there needs to be a shop outside of the base... it speeds up the game a bit more / gives the pushing team a place to buy items / lets people buy then quickly go back to farming.

This would go a long way to aid fast games. It is really painful winning team battles then not having enough life to deal with turrets / 1-2 champions... so you blue pill back to base. buy items then have to do it all over again because it takes too long. If there was a fast way to buy pots / items quickly then push it would work. (probably need to add late game pots that are used when you buy them rather than in your inventory <3)

I am finding dragging out a 4v5 to just under 1hour is very simple task to do... which is odd since the game is supposed to play around 30-40minutes. (faster games are a must for e-sports... don't want people snoozing)

eXes

07-13-2009

I would hate it to have no blue pill. When i play dota or similiar games *cough* HoN *cough* i really miss this function. It is unabuseable, but very useful and as LimaBeans says it decreases the borig run back factor.

A slight cooldown of 10-15 seconds after you aborted it wouldn't hurt thought.

cwatz

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I love the blue pill and love what it brings to the game, at least at first glance. I haven't played enough to know all the ins and outs of gameplay.

The big thing is that you dont waste time and the game is always more active. Secondly it promotes more in lane fighting. If you run out of regen or dont have enough in dota for example, you will be far more passive in lane. This is of course because you will have to run back to base, lose exp while healing and even more gold on tp scrolls. With blue pill in the game the penalty for having to go to base is not as severe and thus leads to more action due to the risk/reward formula.

eddysamson

07-13-2009

BP is one of those things that is 100% staying in this game, sorry!

DUVOIS

07-13-2009

I love me some pills.

Marduke

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I love this feature, I hope they do not take it out.

Running across the entire map to buy items sucks. While comparing this game to other similar games (DotA, HoN) is fair, this is one feature (among many) that I believe stands out. In fact, I think many of the features of LoL that divert from DotA/HoN are what make this game so good. They realized that many of the mechanics in DotA just aren't that good, and they weren't afraid to improve upon them.