The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Just gave this guide a try, and I was blown away. I don't know how you figured out that the 150% was only on it's base damage... but ****, what a huge difference. I grabbed tear first with my boots 1, rather than starting with Guise. Getting that mana pumped early helped out a lot. After building Haunting Guise and finishing Sorc shoes... watching that Artillery knock off chunks of life from just about anyone was really incredible.

I'll never play Hybrid Kog again. What the hell was I thinking!

Thanks for posting this strik... err... Rekirts!
My secret identity was almost found out!!!

I'm really glad to hear my guide helped someone, this is the feedback I enjoy. I was a little dishearted at nobody coming back with success stories. Yes, tear is awesome for the mana, can't justify RoA or Nashors over it. Living Artillery will flat out devesate with magic penetration, and tear gives enough mana to spam it. Just aim those squishy mages and carries!

Glad to hear I've converted someone away from Hybrid Kog. Good luck with AP Koggie.

Oh, and for everyone, seems like we will be getting a slight range incoming for the next patch, on both our Q and our auto attack. The skilling order will remain the same. Do NOT let this buff trick you guys into playing hybrid/AD Kog, its still vastly inferior to AP/Magic Pen. Though the range increase on our auto attack will be nice for soloing middle. The range decrease on our W is offset by out auto attack increase, so no big loss there.

KhaoticImp

07-26-2010

The Guise is a new addition but I love it. I gave this build a shot today and I love it.
I usually go Tear, Sorc boots, Rageblade, then Angels but I find the Guise a better fit then the Rageblade.
I have always loved Kog'Maw and revamping my items is always a blast. This build tromps anything I have used so far.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticImp View Post
The Guise is a new addition but I love it. I gave this build a shot today and I love it.
I usually go Tear, Sorc boots, Rageblade, then Angels but I find the Guise a better fit then the Rageblade.
I have always loved Kog'Maw and revamping my items is always a blast. This build tromps anything I have used so far.
Awesome awesome to hear guys. Keep stuff like this coming. Even if you have a negative experience with my guide lemme hear about it and maybe I can help you out. But yes, the Guise really cannot be stressed enough, its a key item in this build. Glad to hear.

knobcreek

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbat View Post
Your guide has revealed just how much of a bad I am.

I am ashamed.
qft

m31ster

07-26-2010

a) Kog's joke is a must at the beginning of every game
b) Caterpillar skin is a MUST. (sonoran ain't bad either, but I take this one into most of my games)
c) Yeah... I do my build exactly the way you tell me not to. works for me though. I have a guide on my strategies, buuuut.... yeah. personally, i prefer the AS/vamp. that's just me. If I can solo baron while my team is in a tight spot, then I'll do it (and I have).
d) I cannot stress how important it is to ALWAYS go for the spellcasters in the back first. It makes a tank/caster gank attempt into a "LOL fail gank" as their Shen straggles off with 1/10 health and a Kog feeding him Living Artillery for the kill as he runs away, crying.
e) I do use a bit of AP in my build (nashor's tooth/gunblade for spell vamp)
f) I think ill try an AS/Apen build
g) My hat is off to you, sir!
h) I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting some flak for building him the way I do. Please bring it. I like having a good laugh at people insulting me

TheOneTrueAustin

07-26-2010

Wow I really like this guide. I haven't been trying to take Kog'maw into real games yet but I came to similar conclusions during my practice games. Mainly that he seemed like a poor DPS character but seemed made for magic penetration and a large mana pool. Little dude is spammy in the best possible way.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31ster View Post
a) Kog's joke is a must at the beginning of every game
b) Caterpillar skin is a MUST. (sonoran ain't bad either, but I take this one into most of my games)
c) Yeah... I do my build exactly the way you tell me not to. works for me though. I have a guide on my strategies, buuuut.... yeah. personally, i prefer the AS/vamp. that's just me. If I can solo baron while my team is in a tight spot, then I'll do it (and I have).
d) I cannot stress how important it is to ALWAYS go for the spellcasters in the back first. It makes a tank/caster gank attempt into a "LOL fail gank" as their Shen straggles off with 1/10 health and a Kog feeding him Living Artillery for the kill as he runs away, crying.
e) I do use a bit of AP in my build (nashor's tooth/gunblade for spell vamp)
f) I think ill try an AS/Apen build
g) My hat is off to you, sir!
h) I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting some flak for building him the way I do. Please bring it. I like having a good laugh at people insulting me
A) Yes! Once in the fountain for your team and once before solomid starts. Joke is definately OP.

B) Yes yes yes yes! Caterpiller Koggie is the skin I always roll with (Kinda cause I don't have Soloran ><;, but still).

And here I thought your post was only going to agree with me. SHAME!!!

C) Again AS is only useful during your six seconds of Bio-Arcane Barrage. Any other time the stat is useless and only pretty to look at. While the damage you can pull off within the six seconds is great, Wither wrecks you, as well as most hard CC's. You will either be safely attacking the tank, which is what you do NOT want to do, or you will be closer attacking the carries/mages, and you will be instagibbed by Gaze/Tibbers/Dash-taunt/etc. Vamp on the otherhand is the worst stat in the game. Hope I made my point without sounding like a *****. ^^;

D) Yes yes yes! Spellcasters/carries first, every time. You can usually deal 1/6 of their hp in a single shot. AT LEAST, many times much more. With a spell with a cooldown of one second. Factor in a couple of unresisted Void Oozes and Bio-Arcane hits (with magic pen ), finish them off with a snipe from your ultimate, and that scary carry will be dead fast, without even knowing what hit 'em.

E) The Nashor I can sorta understand (though I DISAGREE with it). It has very nice stats (but the Archangels is better ). But the gunblade is a terrible item, and even if you want to stay hybrid for whatever (wrong) reason, you can build a better item than that peice of junk. Spell vamp sucks, overpriced for the slow (considering we have a much stronger one, albeit harder to use).

F) Well thats a start... Hopefully eventually you'll turn over completely to the dark side. Err... Fun side?

G) Thank you thank you. Seriously, even though you play him completely different you still give me props. If you continue to play hybrid, I hope you still learned a trick or two from this guide. As long as you're wrecking the fields of justice in Koggy'Mawwies (lololol? I think I failed) name, I can't be mad at you.

H) It had to come haha. Hope you don't take any offense to any of this, just how I believe Koggy should be played. You'd be surprised how much damage magic penetration can dish out with his ultimate, Void Ooze, and Bio-Arcane Barrage.

You should welcome the range boost next patch to help your hybridness a *little*. But you're still doing it wrong .

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTrueAustin View Post
Wow I really like this guide. I haven't been trying to take Kog'maw into real games yet but I came to similar conclusions during my practice games. Mainly that he seemed like a poor DPS character but seemed made for magic penetration and a large mana pool. Little dude is spammy in the best possible way.
Thanks.

Well hopefully I can help turn your cute Koggie into the true terror of the void (watch out Cho'Gath!) and unleash him on your poor unsuspecting adversaries. Magic penetration is definately vital on this monster, and the Archangels Staff (with some help from masteries and maaaaybe runes) should keep you from burning out throughout the entire game, long as you can keep an eye on how many ultimate stacks you have. Spammy is definately a great quality to have on our Kog.

Arance

07-26-2010

Very nice guide, detailed and informative. Good job.

Although personally I don't play AP and never will after developing my own personal hybrid-ish build. Still, nice to see people still supporting my favorite little lobster-dog. Even if I'm glad that he's not terribly popular overall.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
Very nice guide, detailed and informative. Good job.

Although personally I don't play AP and never will after developing my own personal hybrid-ish build. Still, nice to see people still supporting my favorite little lobster-dog. Even if I'm glad that he's not terribly popular overall.
Thanks. Hope you learned something to incorporate into your game.

If thats what you prefer. AP builds are just what I've had the most success with at the higher Elo ratings, you've probably already read my arguements against it. Hehe, thats a description I've never heard before, may steal it in the future .