The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

12345612 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2010

This is a fantastic Kog Maw guide. I've been using pretty much the same build for my games and usually carry with the Magic Pen focused AP Kog Maw. I think the reason many people think Kog is bad is because he's perceived as a hybrid, when really he isn't (Phreaks spotlight and recommended items don't help this :P). Also, mad props for advocating how good Guise is on Koggie.

Some of my personal views: I think Mejai's is a core item on Kog. It's insanely easy to get stacks because your range allows you to consistently keep your deaths low. Even if my team is bad or just bad at protecting me, I can usually get 10+ stacks if the game goes past 25 minutes.

I'd also suggest covering a bit more how good Kog is at defending towers. You can stop 3 or 4 man pushes by yourself just by pelting people with your R and clearing the minon waves with E+R, all from a safe distance.

Rekirts

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrenic View Post
This is a fantastic Kog Maw guide. I've been using pretty much the same build for my games and usually carry with the Magic Pen focused AP Kog Maw. I think the reason many people think Kog is bad is because he's perceived as a hybrid, when really he isn't (Phreaks spotlight and recommended items don't help this :P). Also, mad props for advocating how good Guise is on Koggie.

Some of my personal views: I think Mejai's is a core item on Kog. It's insanely easy to get stacks because your range allows you to consistently keep your deaths low. Even if my team is bad or just bad at protecting me, I can usually get 10+ stacks if the game goes past 25 minutes.

I'd also suggest covering a bit more how good Kog is at defending towers. You can stop 3 or 4 man pushes by yourself just by pelting people with your R and clearing the minon waves with E+R, all from a safe distance.
Yes, Magic Penetration is the most important stat for Kog'Maw. Good to know I'm not the only one to discover this. Haunting Guise is an awesome item on him. And Phreak definately did not help advocate how to play Kog , as I must admit, hybrid was the first builds I was trying on him after his release. AP is just far superior in damage and can stay further from the fight.

Mejais is very nice too . Its part of my recommended items afterwards. I'm not sure where to fit it in my core build however. I like the immediate magic penetration. Do you get yours before or after the Guise? Or what is your build? I like the magic regen and max mana from tear to help get kills in the first place. Also, I have a hard time putting a snowball item in the core build for everyone to use.

But Mejais is ridiculously cost effective, and is a sexy item for Kog, who shouldn't be dieing often. I do build it after my core build if I don't need immediate survivability from BVail or Rylais.

Added a small snippet on defending towers in it. Thank you thank you.

Xplody

07-25-2010

This guide shares pretty much the same guidelines of my build for kog maw. but i run armor pen for the red runes, and i still do fairly well. having Q and the runes gives that hybrid edge for white dmg, while not giving up your AP on items, so the question is when you press W does that dmg equate to magic or physical dmg? if its magic then I'm absolutely down for switching out to magic pen.

Rekirts

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplody View Post
This guide shares pretty much the same guidelines of my build for kog maw. but i run armor pen for the red runes, and i still do fairly well. having Q and the runes gives that hybrid edge for white dmg, while not giving up your AP on items, so the question is when you press W does that dmg equate to magic or physical dmg? if its magic then I'm absolutely down for switching out to magic pen.
Again the problem with hybrid Koggie is his unboosted range is really tiny. The bonus damage (% hp) is magic damage, so magic penetration runes would increase that damage, not armor pen.

Xplody

07-25-2010

Alrighty, welp I'll definitely try it out.

Soccerzubs

07-25-2010

Been looking for a good AP Build I played one game with Kog when he was free and its obvious building him ad is worthless, AP is where the real damage/nuking comes in.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts View Post
Yes, Magic Penetration is the most important stat for Kog'Maw. Good to know I'm not the only one to discover this. Haunting Guise is an awesome item on him. And Phreak definately did not help advocate how to play Kog , as I must admit, hybrid was the first builds I was trying on him after his release. AP is just far superior in damage and can stay further from the fight.

Mejais is very nice too . Its part of my recommended items afterwards. I'm not sure where to fit it in my core build however. I like the immediate magic penetration. Do you get yours before or after the Guise? Or what is your build? I like the magic regen and max mana from tear to help get kills in the first place. Also, I have a hard time putting a snowball item in the core build for everyone to use.

But Mejais is ridiculously cost effective, and is a sexy item for Kog, who shouldn't be dieing often. I do build it after my core build if I don't need immediate survivability from BVail or Rylais.

Added a small snippet on defending towers in it. Thank you thank you.
I start with a mana crystal and two health pots to rush Tear. Then I'll usually grab Sorc boots->Mejais->Guise. Sometimes I'll grab the health part of the guise before Mejais if they have DPS blink characters that I'm worried about.

I understand why you're uneasy including Mejais as a core item. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. But I know some people consider Mejais core on Anivia, for instance, and I have a much easier time getting stacks on Kog.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerzubs View Post
Been looking for a good AP Build I played one game with Kog when he was free and its obvious building him ad is worthless, AP is where the real damage/nuking comes in.
AD Kog IS worthless, glad you've noticed. Hope this build will help you improve your damage, nuking, and surviveability.

Rekirts

07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrenic View Post
I start with a mana crystal and two health pots to rush Tear. Then I'll usually grab Sorc boots->Mejais->Guise. Sometimes I'll grab the health part of the guise before Mejais if they have DPS blink characters that I'm worried about.

I understand why you're uneasy including Mejais as a core item. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. But I know some people consider Mejais core on Anivia, for instance, and I have a much easier time getting stacks on Kog.
Yeah definately a very similar build. I like the Ring for early game farming/harrassment, especially since I only solomid with Kog nowadays, the mana regen is nice, though the two health potions and 200 mana usually help the same. Again, I have problem including Mejais as a core item for newer players/sometimes you have games where fights are just not happening where it will be relatively useless. But, after completing my Archangels Staff, I definately consider building the Mejais, the stacks are really easy to generate and keep with Kog.

Redenbacher

07-26-2010

Just gave this guide a try, and I was blown away. I don't know how you figured out that the 150% was only on it's base damage... but ****, what a huge difference. I grabbed tear first with my boots 1, rather than starting with Guise. Getting that mana pumped early helped out a lot. After building Haunting Guise and finishing Sorc shoes... watching that Artillery knock off chunks of life from just about anyone was really incredible.

I'll never play Hybrid Kog again. What the hell was I thinking!

Thanks for posting this strik... err... Rekirts!

12345612 ... 16