LoL University [REMADE]: New and struggling? Come play a game with us!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

IF I TELL YOU TO ADD ME, PLEASE COPY AND PASTE MY NAME! I have an ACCENTED i, not a regular i.

THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PRENOTE. NO JOKE.

Our very own MikeLemmer is doing GLORIOUS lessons for our newbies. If you are new, take some time to read them. They are FANTASTIC!

Lesson 1: Attitude
Lesson 2: Minions and the 1v0 Custom
Lesson 3: Champion Roles & Lanes
Lesson 4: The Things Novices Do
Lesson 5: Dealing with Smurfs
Lesson 6: Initial Items

A PRE-NOTE BEFORE WE START ANYTHING!!

The reason there' a REMADE in the title is because the former LoL University has shut down to essentially a program that is no longer managed, and the only skeletal remains of it are a chat room that is full of friendly talk (Which isn't bad), but no real "Mentors" or people to help out those newbies. I'm re-creating the topic, making this one more managed, and re-designing the entire program to something that can be watched over still.

What gives YOU The right to do this?!

I've been involved in LoL University since day 1. I've helped hundreds (yes, hundreds) of newbies with this game, and I've been a member of the former LoL University "Council," or a select few group of people who are esteemed to higher regards and who have proven time and time again they can play this game and have taught many, MANY newbies.

Now, onto the new post!

------

MINI-INTRO

Hello everybody! I'm Raí, formally known as Raitatsu. I've been playing this game since about BETA, and MOBAs competitively since DOTA came out (was a beta tester for that, too!). Now, I'm not saying I'm a professional at this game, but I have been around for a while! Now, let's get right to the point!!

The Goals of League of Legends University (LoL University)

The goals are quite simple. It's a friendly environment for new players and old players alike to talk to others, meet new people, get advice, brainstorm, get 1 on 1 training, learn something new, and overall become a better player!

That's pretty neat. How do I go about getting into this 'class'?

As far as getting that help that I just talked about and learning to do a certain role better, or even learning the general mechanics of the game better, it's as easy as joining a chat room! Click the speechbubble icon next to your friends list, then the button on the bottom of that window (The speechbubble with the plus next to it), then type LoL University (Yes, it IS Case Sensitive). When you join the room, you should see several people (depending on the time of day you're connecting of course), meaning you're in the right room! Hooray!!

*QUICK NOTE*: I recommend clicking the cogs immediately after joining the room and checking the "Auto join" button. It'll make it so you don't have to do this process every time!

THE OTHER WAY to join these 'classes' is simply posting a "student application" here on this thread! What we'll then do is pair you with someone who can help you out with whatever you want specific help with, and will guide you step by step along your road to success!

I'd prefer you do both of these things! It makes it easier and I can put your name on this front post for "teachers" to see!

An EXAMPLE APPLICATION would go as follows:

Quote:
Example Application

Summoner Name: NewToLeague
Summoner Level: 12
Playing For: 1 month

I've been playing this game for about a month now, but I still have no idea what I'm doing! I like characters like Ryze and Morgana, but no matter what, I die more than I get kills! I'd like to get some help to learn to play these two characters better so I can actually be helpful to my team as opposed to holding them down.
If you could post your "application" in this format, I'll throw your name on this front post, and I'll try to pair you with someone who specializes at the role you're requesting help with. PLEASE NOTE, it doesn't hurt to say "I need help with EVERYTHING."

-------

PROFESSOR APPLICATION

I'm finally opening this up to accept some professors. The student base has grown significantly large in about a day. This is fantastic, and I'd love to get some helping hands with this project so we can help more newbies than just a couple at once! Yesterday alone I was able to get in touch with and help about 10 newbies. It was fantastic.

If you're willing to dedicate some time to League's newer players, and you feel like you have enough knowledge of this game, please, post an application in the format as follows, along with answering the questions:

Quote:
PROFESSOR APPLICATION

Summoner Name?

Do you have a microphone and voice chat?

How long have you played this game?

How old are you?

Have you ever mentored before? (Please describe in detail.)

Have you BEEN mentored before? (Please describe in detail.)

What are your best roles?

Who are your top 3 best characters?

And finally, are you okay with having a lot of random low-levels add you to get some help?
*After finishing this application, PLEASE PLEASE find Lord Tolkien in the LoL University chat room, or add him to your friends list, to get evaluated. Thanks!!

Here's an example of a completely filled out application:

Quote:
PROFESSOR APPLICATION

Summoner Name?
Raí

Do you have a microphone and voice chat?
Yep!

How long have you played this game?
Since beta.

How old are you?

Have you ever mentored before? (Please describe in detail.)
Yes I have! I've actually helped people from level 1 all the way to level 30 multiple times. I've taught Jungling, AD Carry, AP Mid, Assassin, Top solo bruiser, and roaming!

Have you BEEN mentored before? (Please describe in detail.)
Actually yes! But it wasn't for this game. It was many years ago when I first started getting into competitive gaming for DOTA 1.

What are your best roles?
My best roles are Assassins, AP Mids, and Junglers. I can play a pretty strong AD Carry, but I don't prefer it.

Who are your top 3 best characters?
Good question! I'd say my top 3 BEST Characters would be Skarner, Akali, and Morgana.

And finally, are you okay with having a lot of random low-levels add you to get some help?

Yes, of course!
PLEASE NOTE

Just because you fill out an application does NOT mean you will be a professor right away! I would like to carefully hand-select the professors so I can actually make sure they are experienced in what they do! No one wants somebody who can't teach teaching them and making their habits WORSE!!

I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but I want this project to be as successful as possible! After you post, feel free to join the chat room and find me if I'm online! I may not always respond. I leave the client running when I'm out and about half the time!!

---

VOIP DETAILS

Currently, I've been using MUMBLE for VOIP. Anyone is welcome to join us in the mumble. To connect, details and info are below!

MUMBLE DOWNLOAD LINK

Label: Whatever you want it to be!
Address: redditlol.etshost.com
Port: 64738 (Also the default port!)

Look around! I'm usually out and about in here!

----

THE GLORIOUS STAFF!

Council Members are people who have put time and dedication in this project, helping multitudes of newbies, and are putting more than their fair share of time and energy into helping newbies succeed!

Professors are people who have proven they know how to play the game effectively, who have been around for a while, and who are more than willing to help out some newbies learn to play the game!

Unfortunately, I need to find more people willing to give some time and dedication to this project. The first LoL University fell apart, but left behind a strong foundation. This is building on that foundation. I want people who are experienced in the game, who can prove they are, and can help out newbies. So, for the time being, myself and a small group of friends are the only true "staff." On with the list!

Council
*The people who run the place*

Raí - That One Guy
aviraaaa - Summoner's Academy Representative! We love her. <3
Lord Tolkien - Professor Evaluator Extraordinaire!
MikeLemmer - Professor/Student Updater of the Century! Also writes lessons!
ShadyGrave - Trololololo

----

Students, need to find a professor? Professors, need to find some students? Obviously, the Chat room is the BEST place to look. But if you need a quick glace, head on over here!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...6bkFhaUE#gid=0

THIS POST IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE BEAR WITH ME AS THIS WILL BE UPDATED FREQUENTLY.

Gellybelly

02-22-2012

hello my name is Gellybelly
Im lvl 20 and still learning alot about the game.
recently iv been playing support ( no one els will) and i love it but im having alot of trouble early game.
i die alot in lanning phase any pointers would help THANK YOU!!

Ryala

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

Summoner Name: Ryala
Summoner Level: 19 (less than halfway to 20)
Playing For: between 1 and 2 months

Background: I've been playing with my boyfriend and one of our wow guildys; we pretty much only ever play TT. We know the majority plays SR and that the game is balanced for SR, but we prefer the smaller size of TT. I know the basic gist of the game and I've looked over several guides from mobafire for the different champs I've tried; I own Warwick and Teemo, but play mostly Teemo anymore since my bf and our friend both play melee champs usually so it felt like we should have something that's ranged.

Issues: Recently I've been running into issues when we play where it feels like I just can't get the money needed to do decent damage and we tend to end up just losing everything back to our nexus tower and turtling to a win (or loss but I honestly think we just bore the other team into submission most of the time unless we forget to watch the creeps and they kill the tower). It tends to be me and our guildy on bottom and our lane is the one that always gets pushed back first unless my boyfriend just gets hard-countered by champ selection; it just doesn't feel like things should play out like that, so I'd like some analysis of where I'm going wrong. I know I'm not the only factor, but I feel like my guildy and I aren't up to the same skill level as my boyfriend is

Gir

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryala View Post
Summoner Name: Ryala
Summoner Level: 19 (less than halfway to 20)
Playing For: between 1 and 2 months

Background: I've been playing with my boyfriend and one of our wow guildys; we pretty much only ever play TT. We know the majority plays SR and that the game is balanced for SR, but we prefer the smaller size of TT. I know the basic gist of the game and I've looked over several guides from mobafire for the different champs I've tried; I own Warwick and Teemo, but play mostly Teemo anymore since my bf and our friend both play melee champs usually so it felt like we should have something that's ranged.

Issues: Recently I've been running into issues when we play where it feels like I just can't get the money needed to do decent damage and we tend to end up just losing everything back to our nexus tower and turtling to a win (or loss but I honestly think we just bore the other team into submission most of the time unless we forget to watch the creeps and they kill the tower). It tends to be me and our guildy on bottom and our lane is the one that always gets pushed back first unless my boyfriend just gets hard-countered by champ selection; it just doesn't feel like things should play out like that, so I'd like some analysis of where I'm going wrong. I know I'm not the only factor, but I feel like my guildy and I aren't up to the same skill level as my boyfriend is

I'd be more than happy to give you some tips and pointers, along with doing some 1v1's to help you improve on your weakest spots. Add me in-game.

WhackedMaki

02-22-2012

Summoner Name: WhackedMaki
Summoner Level: 7 (I believe, don't hold me to this exact number)
Playing For: Just a few days.

I started playing this mainly because most of my friends in real life play it, so I tried it out this past weekend, and enjoyed it. I got Alistar from the Youtube thing, and I've been using him quite a bit. I end up using him as a tank/support, but I'm not sure if the items I have are the best, or if the way that I buy his abilities in the correct order. I'm also not super good at last-hitting the minions, sometimes I'm not even sure if I should with the people I'm in lane with (Do I let someone like Master Yi get them instead)? The last thing I can think of right now that I'd need help with is the best thing to do in some situations. Sometimes I'll run in when my teammates are trying to flee and Pulverize to let them escape, but I end up dieing often this way. Is it a good thing to do, or should I do something else?

Taken from the other thread as this one was just started. Thanks in advance if you are able to help me!

Gir

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackedMaki View Post
Summoner Name: WhackedMaki
Summoner Level: 7 (I believe, don't hold me to this exact number)
Playing For: Just a few days.

I started playing this mainly because most of my friends in real life play it, so I tried it out this past weekend, and enjoyed it. I got Alistar from the Youtube thing, and I've been using him quite a bit. I end up using him as a tank/support, but I'm not sure if the items I have are the best, or if the way that I buy his abilities in the correct order. I'm also not super good at last-hitting the minions, sometimes I'm not even sure if I should with the people I'm in lane with (Do I let someone like Master Yi get them instead)? The last thing I can think of right now that I'd need help with is the best thing to do in some situations. Sometimes I'll run in when my teammates are trying to flee and Pulverize to let them escape, but I end up dieing often this way. Is it a good thing to do, or should I do something else?

Taken from the other thread as this one was just started. Thanks in advance if you are able to help me!
Add me in-game. I'd be happy to help ya out.

Badiator

02-22-2012

Summoner name: Badiator
Summoner level: 4
Playing for: 2 days

I've always heard about this game but never thought it was something id like, being a die-hard wow fan (but we all know how that game is doing in terms of pvp) so I've decided to give this a shot. I'd like to get some helpful tips right off the bat so i dont accidentally develop any bad habits. I like the idea of using a ranged class for damage mainly but I wouldn't be against using a support class if it would help my team out. I also know I cant just get good with 1 character because if someone picks it then I'm SoL. Anyone who feels like helping a complete beginner would be massively helpful

BigShark40

02-22-2012

Summoner Name: SilentNight102, or BigShark40
Summoner Level:21, and 6
Played since New Year

I tend to have problems with games that have champs such as Miss Fortune, Gangplank(this is my main issue), and other crit. strike champs. Early game it is not as bad, but when I play Akali mainly I can't even get close to getting the farm I need due to the Parly Shot, and Miss Fortunes E. I would love to know tips and tricks to get around them and not have to leave lane because I fall behind everyone else. Also I need help with other champs to fit my extremely aggressive play style any help I would appreciate.

Gir

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badiator View Post
Summoner name: Badiator
Summoner level: 4
Playing for: 2 days

I've always heard about this game but never thought it was something id like, being a die-hard wow fan (but we all know how that game is doing in terms of pvp) so I've decided to give this a shot. I'd like to get some helpful tips right off the bat so i dont accidentally develop any bad habits. I like the idea of using a ranged class for damage mainly but I wouldn't be against using a support class if it would help my team out. I also know I cant just get good with 1 character because if someone picks it then I'm SoL. Anyone who feels like helping a complete beginner would be massively helpful
I'd be happy to help you out, but my style of teaching is a bit odd. Feel free to add me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark40 View Post
Summoner Name: SilentNight102, or BigShark40
Summoner Level:21, and 6
Played since New Year

I tend to have problems with games that have champs such as Miss Fortune, Gangplank(this is my main issue), and other crit. strike champs. Early game it is not as bad, but when I play Akali mainly I can't even get close to getting the farm I need due to the Parly Shot, and Miss Fortunes E. I would love to know tips and tricks to get around them and not have to leave lane because I fall behind everyone else. Also I need help with other champs to fit my extremely aggressive play style any help I would appreciate.
I actually used to main assassins like Akali. Throw me a friend request and I'll help you out. But I'll tell you right now, with champions like Gangplank and Miss fortune, you want to kill them before they can kill you. Done correctly, Akali will take either of their health bars from full to 0 in the matter of seconds.

KingBuddhist

02-22-2012

Summoner Name: KingBuddhist
Summoner Level: 7
Playing For: 1 week

Just started playing LoL, all my real-life friends were into it so I figured I'd pick it up to game with them! I'm not completely comfortable in the RTS/Tower Defense Genre, so it's taken some getting used to. I've posted some successful scores in some of the games I've played, but I don't feel like that is due to my skill as a player, more likely it is due to my teammates carrying me.

I play exclusively as Talon (although Malzahar and Yi pique my interest as well) and would appreciate any games with you where you could help me get the basics down/get comfortable in Lol.

Thanks a ton!