[Guide] Tumbling Yurtle the Turtle: how to verse heimerdinger

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wedgiemaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMonkey View Post
The reason Heimdinger is so popular with us defensive players is because he can stop a 5 player gank in its tracks. Every game I've lost is because the other team started 5 player ganking my team early on, resulting in a meaningless struggle for survival. Games are decided by who had the best start, making the rest of the game just a waste of time. On the other hand, with Heimdinger, my team has a chance to regroup. Apparently, because this is hurting the "pros" who are so used to winning by an easy 5 team gank win, people are starting to complain. Why can't you guys give noobs a chance? Everybody has their own playstyle, and for newbies who can't play aggressively, Heimdinger is what is making the game fun. I am sure there is a way to counter Heimdinger, because I have not lost a game against another team with him. Heimdinger balances this "all-aggressive" game a defensive side, and we just need to accept this and move on.
^^I totally agree^^

This is a strategic analysis of how to counter a heimerdinger. Having a really defensive play style, Heimerdinger has become my favorite champion. My favorite used to be Teemo because of his high dps and speedy getaways. However, I always hated how he dies so easily when ganked and that his ultimate is so pathetic late game. When Heimerdinger came along, it was a dream come true lol. I'm getting more kills and fewer deaths than with any other character I've used so far. However, after visiting the forums, I found so many threads and posts on how unfair "yurtle the turtle" (heimerdinger) is. That really made me sad panda. So, I'm gonna help you guys out, and tell you how to counter this champion.

The Basic Heimerdinger Strategy (omygosh I hate how his name is so long!): Heimy's and his turrets' worst enemies are far-ranged champs. To counter this, he has a not-so-secret weapon, grass. Grass and this dude go together like a losing LoL player's face and his keyboard. If I could make a new skin for Heimerdinger, I would give him a camouflage shirt with the words "I heart grass stains" on it. Reason why: grass can hide his turrets. This means: in between shots, turrets go invisible. This is reeeaaally annoying if you are far-ranged because you deselect the turrets every time they go invisible. Most Heimerdingers take advantage of this and build clusters of turrets in the grass.
Choice 1-continuously select the turrets in order to attack them. <Hint>This choice sucks.
Choice 2- move into the grass so that they don't go invisible. Heimy usually hides among his turrets so he can protect them. If you get close, he will stun you with his grenade and his turrets will rip you to shreds.
Choice 3- kill any enemy minions around so that you auto-target the turrets. Unfortunately, by then, all of your minions will be dead and the turrets target you.
Choice 4- switch lanes with someone and make someone else deal with it.
Choice 5- start a flame war with Heimy. While he is typing, harrass the heck out of him and his towers. Continue this until he gets so mad that his brains and guts squirt out of his nose and he collapses from loss of blood. I personally have never tried this, but it might work.
Choice 6- use an ability that doesn't require a target. Best choice ever!!!! These moves have an area effect, damaging clusters of turrets and Heimy if he is hiding with his turrets. Some examples these abilities: Cannon Barrage-ganplank, Lay Waste-karthus, Tormented Soil-morgana.
Choice 7 - Set a Vision Ward in the grass he's trying to use. 150gold to give LoS to the turrets? Win. (thnx Tarion for the addition)
Choice 8: Clairvoyance, same use as choice 7 ... but for a summoner skill slot rather than cash (thx SmecssRaege for the addition)

Pre-game: Almost every game has a heimerdinger. Keep this in mind and try to arrange your team so that it has at least a couple of good yurtle-countering champs. Some examples:

Gangplank- Cannon Barrage. This is like, the best move against heimerdinger. Harass his towers with it and chase him away.

Janna- with her ult, she can push away anybody hiding behind heimy's turrets, giving her teammates a chance to rush in and take out the turrets

Tristana- her normal attacks have more range than the turrets.

Veigar- Dark Matter is good for taking out turrets.

Dr. Mundo- lots of health. can tank through turrets. Burning Agony is good against clusters of turrets. Only recommended for Dr. Mundo pros

Twitch- Spray and Pray has more range than the turrets. good against clusters.

Blitzcrank- Rocket Grab can snatch Heimy from his turret fortress. Heimy is weak without his turrets protecting him. <Tip> turrets can block Rocket Grab. Try going around and behind the turret line and snatch him.

Sivir- Spiral Blade and Ricochet are good against clusters of turrets. When using Spiral Blade, try aiming so that it hits the most turrets possible.

Soraka- Starcall. Lots of healing abilities to keep your friends alive as they battle the towers.

Karthas- Lay Waste (does not need a target selected, so you can hit grass turrets)

Ashe- High dps and ranged. Good vs. turrets. Farther range than turrets.

Annie- High damaging spells and powerful ult. She isn't good against lvl 3 turrets, so try to destroy them before they upgraded.

Morgana- Tormented Soil

Nasus- Spirit Fire

Corki- a lot of ranged abilities. Phosphorus Bomb can be used to reveal hidden turrets in the grass. Missile Barrage has really good range. Gatling gun is effective against turret clusters.

Anivia- Flash Frost and Frostbite. Using wall correctly can help keep Heimer from his turrets.

Heimerdinger- Place turrets where the enemy heimy is likely to put his. His missiles have more range than turrets making them an awesome harassing ability. His grenades have good range and are spammable. Good for clusters of turrets.

Nunu- he can eat towers with Consume. Can take out a whole line of turrets by himself if no one is protecting them.

Early Game: Make sure you have a friend. If you are in the top or bottom lanes, conquer the grassy areas and keep Heimerdinger on his toes. Remember, alone, he can't do much damage. Kill turrets before they get upgraded to lvl 3. Without turrets, Heimerdinger has a hard time farming. If Heimy has a friend, don't be too aggressive and fall prey to any tricks while trying to take out towers. Also, try to get a gank in early. Just get some friends from another lane to help you get rid of those towers that won't go away and push forward. Get Heimy as well and you might have yourself a tower kill.

Mid-Late Game
: If you ever catch Heimerdinger alone pushing a lane (without his towers), TAKE HIM OUT. Heimerdinger can barely do any damage without his towers, so do everything you can to assassinate him while he is an easy target. Call in a gank, do everything you can. As soon as you do, try to take out any towers that he has laying around and push forward. Heimers, Sorakas, and Tarics help a ton (Taric has a 80% damage buff--very useful). If he and his friends are always 'sitting his row of red towers, try to lure Heimy (and his friends) out and blast him with slows, stuns, and nukes. By killing Heimy, you give your team a break to wipe out the tower line. On the other hand, if you can't lure anybody out, back off and wait for them to advance. Gank and kill whoever makes that mistake. If you just can't make any progress, put in a vision ward in front/behind his towers and gank another lane with your friends. If he sees that another lane is falling apart, there is a good chance that Heimerdinger will go to help. As soon as you see it happen, have a few of your best tower killers go and take that line out. Join them and obliterate as much of the lane as you can before you are ganked. Rinse and repeat. If you keep Heimerdinger on his toes so that he can't settle down, you should have no problem pushing. Also remember that if Heimerdinger does settle down, he and whoever is defending the line with him can be basically counted out of the team. Ganking another lane will give your team at least a 5 to 4 advantage, probably more. Something that people keep forgetting is that the turrets are stationary. If you have a tough tanker in your team, its possible to go around the turrets and take out a tower. Heimerdinger may be good at defenses, but he can't defend everywhere at once. This is why aggressiveness wins games. Heimerdinger can only do so much.

This guide was a collaborated effort by me and Cybermonkey. Feel free to flame me to death (or add any tips of your own).

Tarion

10-19-2009

Just off the top of my head, an addition to your first section.

Quote:

The Basic Heimerdinger Strategy (omygosh I hate how his name is so long!): Heimy's and his turrets' worst enemies are far-ranged champs. To counter this, he has a not-so-secret weapon, grass. Grass and this dude go together like a losing LoL player's face and his keyboard. If I could make a new skin for Heimerdinger, I would give him a camouflage shirt with the words "I heart grass stains" on it. Reason why: grass can hide his turrets. This means: in between shots, turrets go invisible. This is reeeaaally annoying if you are far-ranged because you deselect the turrets every time they go invisible. Most Heimerdingers take advantage of this and build clusters of turrets in the grass.
Choice 1-continuously select the turrets in order to attack them. <Hint>This choice sucks.
Choice 2- move into the grass so that they don't go invisible. Heimy usually hides among his turrets so he can protect them. If you get close, he will stun you with his grenade and his turrets will rip you to shreds.
Choice 3- kill any enemy minions around so that you auto-target the turrets. Unfortunately, by then, all of your minions will be dead and the turrets target you.
Choice 4- switch lanes with someone and make someone else deal with it.
Choice 5- start a flame war with Heimy. While he is typing, harrass the heck out of him and his towers. Continue this until he gets so mad that his brains and guts squirt out of his nose and he collapses from loss of blood. I personally have never tried this, but it might work.
Choice 6- use an ability that doesn't require a target. Best choice ever!!!! These moves have an area effect, damaging clusters of turrets and Heimy if he is hiding with his turrets. Some examples these abilities: Cannon Barrage-ganplank, Lay Waste-karthus, Tormented Soil-morgana.
Choice 7 - Sit a Vision Ward in the grass he's trying to use. 150gold to give LoS to the turrets? Win. Not actually done any testing, but it should work.

Before anyone goes with the usual whine (We shouldn't have to play differently to counter a character), its the same counter you should be using against Twitch, Eve and (to a lesser extent) Shaco. Hardly the end of the world.

Wedgiemaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2009

Nice! I never thought of that. thanks for your opinion and addition.

CyberMonkey

10-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
Just off the top of my head, an addition to your first section.

Choice 7 - Sit a Vision Ward in the grass he's trying to use. 150gold to give LoS to the turrets? Win. Not actually done any testing, but it should work.

Before anyone goes with the usual whine (We shouldn't have to play differently to counter a character), its the same counter you should be using against Twitch, Eve and (to a lesser extent) Shaco. Hardly the end of the world.
Woot! Excellent thinking! We will have to add that one. Very nice.

HereticalCrab

10-19-2009

Easy anti heimerdinger strat, get a good team to push the lanes hes not in, seriously I've won twice against a heimer where we pushed the two lanes he wasn't in and won. When hes on the other team they get over confident. Also the whole, "We get more kills therefore we win." argument is flawed cause it only takes one good push to change the outcome of the game (this has happened to me as well, both for my team and the other team). People tend to forget this is a game based around not only getting hero kills but also pushing towers and changing your strategy as a team in response to the strategy that the other team is presenting to you.

spreadfred

10-19-2009

as blitzcrank, can you pull heimy's turrets with the rocket grab? i know i have pulled teemo's shrooms. seems like that would be easier and more effective than trying to grab heimy.

SmecssRaege

10-19-2009

Choice 8: Clairvoyance, same use as choice 7 ... but for a summoner skill slot rather than cash

Phiphler

The Council

10-20-2009

Janna's Whirling Gale can move turrets around and hit them from outside of their range.

Wedgiemaster

10-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadfred View Post
as blitzcrank, can you pull heimy's turrets with the rocket grab? i know i have pulled teemo's shrooms. seems like that would be easier and more effective than trying to grab heimy.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. It does like almost no damage to the turrets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
Choice 8: Clairvoyance, same use as choice 7 ... but for a summoner skill slot rather than cash
Nice! I never use Clairvoyance, so I didn't know. thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiphler View Post
Janna's Whirling Gale can move turrets around and hit them from outside of their range.
really? I thought they fixed that.

feardragon

10-20-2009

Twisted Fate has wild cards that don't even require targeting. Can hit everything in the bushes at once. While attacking minions if you're decent at aiming all 3.

And honestly my biggest problem is...how do you do some of these strats when you have a nuker like Ryze, Twitch, etc. who raping you when you try these strategies.