How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.42%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.53%
81-120 Games 1,736 15.73%
121-160 Games 664 6.02%
161-200 Games 928 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,701 15.42%
400-599 Games 1,082 9.81%
600-799 Games 456 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,136 19.36%
Voters: 11034. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-15-2012
28 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsoRemix View Post
Also, I had a suggestion. For ranked games, would it be possible to require a person to play X amount of games with a champion before it becomes available in ranked?
I have talked about this particular idea before and I like it.

EpicWinFTW

02-15-2012

MathMage had a few ideas for tweaks to improve the current elo system in this thread (posted long ago, bottom of the 1st and 2nd original posts):
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1191825

The most appealing one to me was
"Even the current system can be improved in some simple ways, however. For example, one small but useful innovation would be to temporarily increase Elo adjustments following a long period not playing Ranked. This accurately models the increased uncertainty about your skill level--you might have not played at all and become terribly rusty, or you might have practiced your ass off and gotten much better. It allows people who tanked their Elo initially, because they started when they weren't ready, or got trolled in their placement matches, to get a jump start moving up the ladder. The same for people who let inactive accounts slide to 1400. And it removes the incentive for such players to smurf another account to 30 and try for better luck in their early matches--by the time they do that, their old account will have just as volatile an Elo.

-Increase post-game Elo adjustment for inactive accounts. The reasoning behind this is explained in the first post; briefly, it reflects the system's increased uncertainty about the inactive player's skill level on returning to Ranked, and disincentivizes smurfing for people who got trolled in their placement matches. "

RodrigoMallmann

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Derkman View Post
I may fit into the group you are looking into. I duo-queue for ranked with a friend that is far lower elo than me. I am almost always first pick, and he is ALWAYS last pick. My current elo is just shy of 1200. After playing quite a few games I've learned a few things:

1. If I am not first pick, the person that is first pick is relatively new to ranked games (less than 10 games played).

2. Right around the 1200 elo mark there is a large skill level gap in ranked play. There will be games where one team has combined for only 60 wins and the other team has over 1000. Needless to say, these games are complete massacres.

A second issue that confuses me is elo rating. I have a friend that is 1600 elo, but he has 20 more losses than wins. My record in ranked is almost 120 wins - 90 losses, but I'm at 1150 elo. I look over the stats after every game, and I consistently have the highest CS. I even played some pre-made ranked 5's with my friend at 1600 elo, and I out CS'ed him (he was solo top Irelia and I was AP mid Kennen) by almost double. Also, looking at my ranked stats page, I have pretty insane per game K-D-A ratios on a lot of champs. Kennen for example:10-2-10.
dude, i have the same problem, im a very good player, better than most of my enemies and aliies, but i sitll get matched with people that dont even know what a support does

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012
29 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I So Pwned You View Post
i find that when i was new and i played with my cousin, everyone on our team kept yelling at me, and this happened every game. People said "i hope you die of cancer" and "uninstall immediately" and that sort of thing. It sort of made this game a bad experience for me at the start. I understand that this is hard to deal with because if you have a level 10 and level 30 playying together, you can't match them up with level 10s because the level 30 would dominate. But if you match the level 10 against level 30s, they're going to get owned by everyone on the other team.
I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience while leveling up in League. I am trying my best to fix scenarios like this so new players can have a more enjoyable journey towards Level 30.

xamvolagis

02-15-2012

I would just like to say that pushing elo loss onto leavers and afkers is justified.
I know other posts have been made to this effect, and the reply has always been that it encourages people to be toxic. However, this doesnt seem like that big of a problem. First of all, there is an ignore feature in this game. If someone is being toxic in chat, they can just be ignored. To create a toxic environment, there must be an instigator, but people must also respond to this negatively instead of ignoring it. Additionally, the feature encourages people to stay in game a lot of times. If a team is losing a game currently, someone is likely to just think negatively and leave for no punishment other than a loss. However, the new feature would encourage someone to stay in game and keep playing.

CupcakeTrap

02-15-2012

I do not know who or what Lyte is, but I like them, a lot.

First some lady in a fedora, then Baron Santa. I'm thinking some sort of supernatural being that is simultaneously both of these things. There's an In Nomine reference there involving Seraphim.

Riot, feed this monstrosity additional Teemos! Its industrious efforts to improve the game are worth each and every one. I know you have spare Badger Teemos, at any rate.

That's right, Summoners. Every Badger Teemo skin you don't buy is turned into a discretionary and consumable bonus.

innervation

02-15-2012

I don't have screens, but this happened just today:

I queued for a game in a 5 man premade. 3 of us play ranked at a 1600-1700 level, the other 2 at about a 1300 level. In our game today we were matched against three 2k+ elo players, and the other two were 1500s. Although I went 4-0 against my lane and out csed him significantly (he was the highest ranked player too!), and our other top player beat their other 2k player mid, I could tell as soon as the teamfight stage started that we had a 5% chance or less to win the game.

We won the first team fight at dragon only because we caught one person out of position. For the rest of the game, they stayed as 5, and our 2 weaker friends just couldn't adapt their positioning fast enough in a real team fight against top competition.

Now here is the interesting part. Our two lower elo players dropped out for the next game, so we queued as 3 - just the 1600/1700 friends. Our next match was against players of significantly lower elo - two 1850's a 1700 and two 1450's.

Definitely something seems off here...

Lyte

02-15-2012
30 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoMallmann View Post
i see this rioter is paying attention to what people says, hey @Lyte, what about reading my post?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post21017560
I've talked about some of the issues you mentioned in this thread already. I could be convinced that people should be punished more heavily for leaving games--especially Ranked games; however, I'll need to look at the data and get a better picture of how big the problem is and whether a change is warranted.

Hoggel

02-15-2012

I've played with friends 200-300 elo lower than me, I'm always first pick. The strange thing seems to be the other teams random elos vs my team. This also happens with people who are closer in elo. I played a game earlier we had a duo queue who were about 5pts difference. Our 5th person on the team though was 100 elo lower than our leader, and the lowest on the other team was 60 higher.

Granted I understand people who duo maybe using some kind of voice service and thus have a higher chance of putting the game in their favor but its basically making 3 other people on the team suffer if they are not even able to handle this increase in elo vs the other team.

In other words its basically like getting trolled when someone duo's and they can not live up to the expectations of the systems inflation rate for duo queues.

secliptic

02-15-2012

What about if a player never connects? I really don't think you should lose elo for that. Also maybe if someone leaves or AFKs for a certain time limit it could reduce elo? Like if you're AFK or disconnected for more than a 3rd of the game.