How to build a League of Legends team for Summoners rift

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

02-14-2012

I notice when I am playing normal draft and even when I am playing on a premade 5 man team that the majority of the teams I am on or against don't even fill all the required elements of a team, so I decided to break down what makes a team and hopefully get some input back on what I am missing.

Official team positions
Jungler- jungles allowing for greater overall experience gain and buff/crest/dragon control also provides ganks

Ad carry-provides collosal late game damage to push towers and win teamfights

Ap carry- generally high damage nukes, aoes and cc

Tank- reduces damage potential of enemy team while absorbing the majority of enemy fire power and generally has good initiation potential

Assassin- kills high value targets like ad and ap carries quickly before they can hurt your team while having good escapes to hopefully survive the kill. Some assassins have decent initiation effects as well.

Support- allows you carry to farm the vast majority of minions while having abilities that either ensure your carry kills or ensures that your carry wont get killed.

Bruiser/tanky dps/melee fighter- have decent damage as well as decent defenses that allow them to survive initial assassin burst damage and kill the assassin before it can kill the carries and may also have good initiation abilities. Generally have poor escapes.

Now obviously that is 7 positions and you can only cram 5 people on to a team, but luckily most tanks, and assassins can do double duty.

For example lets say you have
Annie mid for your ap carry
Miss Fortune bot for your ad carry
Shyvana top for your bruiser

Now you have a problem in that you need an assassin a jungler a tank and a support all in 2 champions. Luckily there are such things as support tanks like shen, alistar, and taric. So we grab an alistar bot, but what are we gonna do about our assassin jungler.

This is actually easier than finding a support tank, because there are a lot of really good assassins who also happen to be very good junglers such as shaco, wukong, Lee sin, pantheon(if you are specced right), and Xin Xhao. So we grab Lee Sin.

Now our team looks like this
Annie mid
Miss fortune and Aistar bot
Lee sin in the jungle
and shyvana top

So our team fills the required roles, but is it a balanced team. To figure that out lets look at the specific things a team needs
1.Aoe/Aura damage
2.A steady stream of ad damage
3.CC effects like slows, knock ups, stuns, fears etc.
4. Initiation abilities
5.A reliable form of ap burst damage
6.Damage reduction/damage soak

So lets compare that to the team we made
1.Aoe/Aura damage- Annie, miss fortune and Shyvana all have good aoe damage so we have that covered. We might have over done it actually, but too much aoe never hurt anyone that you didn't want hurt.

2.A steady stream of ad damage- Miss fortune as a ranged ad carry will provide that if she can get enough farm which is Miss Fortune's specialty

3.CC effects like slows, knock ups, stuns, fears etc.- Anne only has one stun and it can't be spammed, so she is kind of weak on cc as far as mages go, but fortunately alistar has plenty of knock back and knock ups to go around. Shyvana and Lee sin also have some limited knock back so we have plenty of cc as a whole.

4. Initiation abilities- Alistar probably has the best initiation abilities on the team, but shyvana and lee sin can provide limited initiation as well.

5.A reliable form of ap burst damage- Annie as the ap carry can provide this

6.Damage reduction/damage soak- Annie has a good shield, but the real damage reduction is gonna be alistars awesome 50% damage reduction ultimate which will hopefully allow him to tank everything the enemy team is gonna throw at him.

7.Ganking potential- Lee sin has great ganks so this probably won't be much of a problem. If we had chosen a jungler who didn't have such great ganks like prelevel 6 wukong and amumu Shyvana can provide great ganks as well from top if she takes teleport and exploits some wards her jungler layed down. Annie can always save up a tibbers stun and gank bot as well.

8. Lane sustain for the carry- In the team we built alistar's heal comboed with any lifesteal miss fortune builds is gonna be the sustain, but other types of sustain are possible Tryndamere and Kayle can actually sustain themselves using their abilities and an interesting form of sustain can be accomplished with Janna, Lux or Morgana where they simply continually shield the carry from damage in the laning phase so they don't have to go back as much. This type of sustain is good because after the laning phase it can still be useful by functioning as extra bubble wrap on your carry so that your carry can keep spewing damage and score your team those aces. Zilean can actually bring your carry back to life incase they accidently happen to die.

This team is good to go and is completely competitive. Now obviously I followed the meta for simplicities sake, but it is totally possible to say screw the meta and still build a competitive team. For example lets say we

Sent Caitlyn solo top
Sent Akali Mid
Sent Lux and Garen bottom
and had Amumu jungle

That team is just as competitive as the previous team and maybe even more since your opponents are now scratching their heads going "but the ad carry is supposed to be bottom and my sion isn't ranged"

Anyway if you guys have any good team combinations you want to share or think a competitive team needs something that I missed feel free to comment below. Together we can stop the fielding of crappy teams.

Invictrix

02-14-2012

I have been downvoted and I do not know why. Maybe I should clarify. This is not going to catapult your team to the top of the elo, but it will give your team a better chance at winning those normal draft picks and even ranked games opposed to the usual method of everyone grab who you want and then the 5th player can try to fill all the roles we left open which is actually impossible to do in a decent number of cases.

7thcloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2012

i would venture to guess b/c all you are doing is capturing the current meta, and somewhat lacking even at that. that are different types of team comps that you fail to mention (or realize), such as a poke comp that CLG frequently runs. there are comps that focus more on teamfight, others that rely more on ganking, and some that press for neutral buff control.

the only true constant in the game is that bot is generally AD + support. you can have the ap top while tank goes mid (i.e. kennen top while galio mids). you do not need an initiator if you run a poke comp. assassins work pretty poorly against any team that has a true tank. also, your mid having cc is not really the greatest. it's nice, sure, but you want the hard cc's on the (off-)tank in order to soak dmg or peel enemies off of carry.

also, lux + garen bottom would get raped by any heal + ad with decent range

Invictrix

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thcloud View Post
i would venture to guess b/c all you are doing is capturing the current meta, and somewhat lacking even at that. that are different types of team comps that you fail to mention (or realize), such as a poke comp that CLG frequently runs. there are comps that focus more on teamfight, others that rely more on ganking, and some that press for neutral buff control.

the only true constant in the game is that bot is generally AD + support. you can have the ap top while tank goes mid (i.e. kennen top while galio mids). you do not need an initiator if you run a poke comp. assassins work pretty poorly against any team that has a true tank. also, your mid having cc is not really the greatest. it's nice, sure, but you want the hard cc's on the (off-)tank in order to soak dmg or peel enemies off of carry.

also, lux + garen bottom would get raped by any heal + ad with decent range
Hmm so much for this thread. I suppose there is still a lot to team composition that I do not understand since the term poke comp is lost on me.

I stand by Lux and Garen bot though. I have tested it and it is quite effective against the traditional support+ ranged ad carry, and that is before riot nerfed all the ranged ad carries and supports.

Invictrix

02-17-2012

bump

Hyosun

02-18-2012

I dunno I see any ranged composition at bot warding your brush and easily harassing Garen constantly. But it could work.

As for a "poke" comp I imagine it's a team composition that favors keeping wide-scale teamfights from happening in favor of whittling down teams from afar preventing initiation. If you poke enough ( say at dragon ) no team is going to want to start a teamfight since the poked team is at a hp disadvantage.

but anyway, team compositions are pretty flexible. Though I think in practice the team picks champions that are strong against the other. For example if they had a Kennen it would be REAL nice to have a Janna for bot laner.

C0rrupt S0ul

02-21-2012

I see you only looking at your team comp, to have a perfect team comp, you also need to look at what the enemy champs are and pick someone you dominate most the time when laning with them, counter. The way you seem to be looking at it is once you decide on the perfect team comp you'll expect it to totally dominate each game.. however a team that has much experience will know how to counter your team. Key is having a team that can be flexible and great with many types of champs as to adapt to any opposing champ selects.