Morello what is your take on soraka bot lane.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreXxiN

02-09-2012

I main support for my alienware team and while I enjoy all the free wins because I pick Sona, I will be enjoying the nerfs so I can spam my favorite hero, Janna.

Dirty Dan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You'll see in the next patch - I think you hit it on the head. Her lack of mana reliance in lane pushes her over the top.

We found a new opportunity to ramp up a couple things on her and fix the problems. It should provide a better lane experience (and more interesting choices) generally.
But will it separate the good Soraka players from the great Soraka players?

Morello

Lead Designer

02-09-2012
11 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolDan79 View Post
But will it separate the good Soraka players from the great Soraka players?
Only if they do tons of damage.

Im a NinJa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgana View Post
You're misunderstanding, she IS saving you by doing that.
Imagine that same team fight if she didn't initiate with her ult, it'd be a lot harder right? that's because she's saving you from a ton of damage by doing it.
After that, she's still got a heal, some damage, and potentially a slow/damage reducer to toss out just in case stuff really hits the fan.

"Saving" people doesn't mean you ally has to be running away from an enemy, it can be healing them from in a very close 1v1 duel just to have them walk away with the kill, or ulting during a team fight to allow somebody to life steal/spell vamp a bit or wait for that cooldown they need, etc...
So in your situation where the team is fleeing because they messed up, sona is going to THEN use her ult, where the whole situation could be avoided when her ult could have been used to initiate instead?

and yes, there are situations where you "save" the champion could you hypothetically do the same thing with a .5 second and a 2 second slow?

Masterwcer

02-09-2012

Quote:
This is a much more cogent complaint, thanks!

This is valid. To be frank, this is us paying some "oops!" design debt from when we didn't see these effects on the game. The reason we want to be more aggressive here (especially on the sustain part) is to stabilize this and then understand how to inject it, even possibly in new characters.

We're not going to rip healing out of the game (or we would have already), but the opportunity cost and resource drain on the healer just has to be present. It balances the game better and increases strategic decision-making. I do understand the desire to see stability - the faster we get there, the less we have to mess with this
This... reminds me of what Whattayabrian said about Sona's ult (E.G. that it was a big mistake to give a support an AoE lockdown). Could this be what is being changed? Please say no.

>.<

Quote:
Sona's more in-line, but gets a bit too much free power, especially from auras. I'm not as worried about heal amounts on either Sona or Soraka, but I am worried about tons of overlapping, deferred effects (Sona) or infinite mana healers (Soraka).
This however is a little less worrisome, even understandable.

h4h4h4

02-09-2012

Quote:
Then why is it the heal characters dominate instead of tank/AD kill lanes?
cannot thumbs up enough

Fòx

02-09-2012

Quote:
I'm not trying to win a popularity contest with support characters - I'm trying to keep them in the game balance-wise without making them ruin it in the process.
Hell yes. Keep fighting the good fight, at least one guy out here appreciates it.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-09-2012
12 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterwcer View Post
This... reminds me of what Whattayabrian said about Sona's ult (E.G. that it was a big mistake to give a support an AoE lockdown). Could this be what is being changed? Please say no.

>.<
It's not, but that was the day Riot games learned the cost of putting out-of-class abilities (AOE CC) on classes that didn't have access to it.

We won't rip this off her, it's more a thing we have to work with now. Design-wise, it's really sub-optimal, but I think we can manage it.

Loleon

02-09-2012

Hope it won't affect Soraka's ability to solo lane as AP/tanky/CDR MR shredder (only viable in certain situations, but so much fun when you can use it properly). Are there any changes which will help in this direction too, or will it just hurt it?

Adumbro Deus

02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by morello View Post
only if they do tons of damage.
so you're gonna make poking with soraka worthwhile in lane?!

Oh my god!