Galio The Unforgiving Sentinel

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hékate

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
To understand why he isn't the best pick you can have, I have to say it really depends on your team and coordination. If you don't have a coordinated team (say like public matches outside of vent/skype) then you probably shouldn't pick Galio. If you have faith in your team or are on vent/skype or are playing with people you know well, you can probably get them to work with and around you.

First of all, most players want to build MR on him because his passive gives you 50% ap scaling. On DOM, the majority of players like to pick AD based champions because of the passive armor pen they get. In addition, many AD champs excel on the Crystal Scar and are therefore more likely to be picked.

With that in mind, there are usually only 1 or sometimes 2 AP characters, like Ryze or Kassadin or Cass or whatever. If you build MR, you only counter those two champions, and furthermore they don't have to go bot if you're bot laning and don't have to top if you top lane. So, even if you do counter them with MR they can still possibly be smart/coordinated enough to screw you over and even if they aren't, mid-late game will deliver a swift gank up your ass from an AD carry.

So lets say you build armor and AP, you have effectively gimped yourself involuntarily so good job there. Lets discuss his shield bulwark. This skill is by no means useless, as it can save lives and change the tide of the game (if used correctly). But, there are still some fundamental flaws in it. If you don't level it consistently, then the boost are still easily overcome, especially with the armor pen buffs. In addition, the healing you get from it is gimped, and it decreases by 20% each hit the target suffers. If that wasn't bad enough, it only scales with a 0.3 ap ratio, so even if you build MR and ap, it's still not that great of a heal.

In short, bulwark is good if you use it right and if you level it, making it very situational and not all that dependable.

Then there's his speed boost. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say with all the Gailos I've ever played with the speed boost didn't do much for me. Maybe it helped a Galio escape once or twice, but it's probably better to just damage with it because of it's 0.5 ap scaling.

His main damage ability resolute smite has 0.7 ap scaling and reduces movement speed of enemies. A respectable ability, but taking into consideration cooldowns and combos Galio will use, it isn't all that impressive. In addition to that, your ult is the only thing you can use to continue damage if you have already used gust offensively, which isn't what it's normally used for.

Now his ult, which I believe is genuinely the best thing about him. Sadly, even this depends on your teammates. f your teammates aren't there, it is likely that you won't kill anyone unless you use it on a weak champ. Also, you can't spam this, so you have one shot every once in a while to defend your turret or distract the enemy. Even worse, champs can build things that let them out of your ult (like QSS) or they can be GP (oranges) or just to spite you for the hell of it, GP can build a QSS. Your ult isn't infallible or even close to it, but hey, it's arguable that nothing is.

These are my main reasons on why Gailo is sub-par. Anyone who is good at him or knows him well enough can easily claim that these things don't stop them from playing well or aren't even worth taking into account, but really, how many people are that good at Galio? Most of the people I play with (blind pick) are bad anyway, so why compound the problem with Galio?

Overall he has potential, but leaves a LOT to be desired.
Judging from everything you just said, you have absolutely no idea how to play Galio in dom. I wouldn't want you on my team as Galio either. I was going to write a real response, but almost everything you said is wrong.

A lot of people mentioned he's so good against AP, but his passive doesn't make him or break him, he's fine without it, he just dominates more when building against AP. Even just yesterday I played a game with almost no MR/AP and still did 50k damage in all armor/HP items. I look forward to punishing teams that go all AD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lbgsloan

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Quote:
I mean I know he's situational
You answered your own question.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkate View Post
Judging from everything you just said, you have absolutely no idea how to play Galio in dom.
Then enlighten me instead of just saying something along the lines of,"you're wrong and I'm not going to explain why."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkate View Post
I wouldn't want you on my team as Galio either. I was going to write a real response, but almost everything you said is wrong.
So everything about the AP scaling ratios, abilities, and how I've PERSONALLY seen people use Galio is wrong? Do you even comprehend how arrogant and ignorant you sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkate View Post
A lot of people mentioned he's so good against AP, but his passive doesn't make him or break him, he's fine without it, he just dominates more when building against AP.
Be that as it may, Galio has lost an edge with a now worthless passive against someone who's passive is greater as well as their kit. For example, if I were to use Vayne against Galio, I would kite you to oblivion, or maybe just nuke the holy Hell out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkate View Post
Even just yesterday I played a game with almost no MR/AP and still did 50k damage in all armor/HP items. I look forward to punishing teams that go all AD
So what you're saying is, you went up against a bad team that didn't know how to form a decent composition, so that they all have one counter-build set? And you're also saying that since you were able to exploit how bad they are that Galio is obviously a good pick on this basis?

Your arguments are flawed, the only thing that is of any value is the picture of all your wins as Galio, in which we don't have the context of (who else was playing, who was playing with you, etc). Also in my prior post I talked about coordination with your team and that without it Galio is far worse than useless. We have no idea who you were playing with, let alone if you're even on a premade team.

You didn't address any of my points, as valid and backed by evidence as they were, and you gave weak arguments in response. I strongly believe Galio is a very bad pick in comparison to someone like Rammus, or Yorick, or if you want the AP tank role Maokai. Hell, I would pick Vlad over Galio.

And all of this compounds if you have a bad player playing as Galio, because then you know you're screwed. Lets say all those games you had a picture of winning with Galio were solo queue public matches, what if by some odd twist of fate you were *gasp* actually good at Galio? What if you are one of the few people who are just beastly with that champ because you either play him a lot or he plays to your strengths as a summoner? One person doing good doesn't cancel out all the bad players that have a consistent history of being bad with Galio.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flagonslayer

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Yes. You are the only person who ever plays that champion. You alone have the brain power to imagine the strengths and weaknesses of Galio. Congratulations on your large brain and amazing skills. You are awesome.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-27-2012

i believe you do great with Galio, but 15 win streak????

Also what name do you go by? A summoner with your name has 0 Dominion wins...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ace Mckick

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
i believe you do great with Galio, but 15 win streak????

Also what name do you go by? A summoner with your name has 0 Dominion wins...
I stopped playing on this account ever since riot changed my name from Ace McKickas s to Ace McKick


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hékate

Senior Member

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
Then enlighten me instead of just saying something along the lines of,"you're wrong and I'm not going to explain why."



So everything about the AP scaling ratios, abilities, and how I've PERSONALLY seen people use Galio is wrong? Do you even comprehend how arrogant and ignorant you sound?



Be that as it may, Galio has lost an edge with a now worthless passive against someone who's passive is greater as well as their kit. For example, if I were to use Vayne against Galio, I would kite you to oblivion, or maybe just nuke the holy Hell out of you.



So what you're saying is, you went up against a bad team that didn't know how to form a decent composition, so that they all have one counter-build set? And you're also saying that since you were able to exploit how bad they are that Galio is obviously a good pick on this basis?

Your arguments are flawed, the only thing that is of any value is the picture of all your wins as Galio, in which we don't have the context of (who else was playing, who was playing with you, etc). Also in my prior post I talked about coordination with your team and that without it Galio is far worse than useless. We have no idea who you were playing with, let alone if you're even on a premade team.

You didn't address any of my points, as valid and backed by evidence as they were, and you gave weak arguments in response. I strongly believe Galio is a very bad pick in comparison to someone like Rammus, or Yorick, or if you want the AP tank role Maokai. Hell, I would pick Vlad over Galio.

And all of this compounds if you have a bad player playing as Galio, because then you know you're screwed. Lets say all those games you had a picture of winning with Galio were solo queue public matches, what if by some odd twist of fate you were *gasp* actually good at Galio? What if you are one of the few people who are just beastly with that champ because you either play him a lot or he plays to your strengths as a summoner? One person doing good doesn't cancel out all the bad players that have a consistent history of being bad with Galio.
Ok but re-read your post, you weren't talking about your experience with how you've seen Galio played, you were talking in absolutes. "If you don't have a coordinated team (say like public matches outside of vent/skype) then you probably shouldn't pick Galio" or "So lets say you build armor and AP, you have effectively gimped yourself involuntarily so good job there." Do those sound like you're speaking from your experience or does that sound like you're the Galio expert? Arrogance begets arrogance buddy, if you had approached this as opinion and not as a know-it-all, you would have received a better response.

You're speaking about all these things as if they're facts when they're based on your experience of what other players have done. Galio is not often picked so I'd imagine your experience with Galio in dom is somewhat limited? Is that fair?

Galio is a solid pick regardless of his team and has the ability to switch roles to fit the situation. I play draft pick and always pick to complement my team and counter the enemy, especially in solo queue. If I'm first pick, I pick Galio because he's effective in multiple roles/situations and can do so without his team around. If he's alone and defending or a team is pushing, he should play the role of ranged harasser as he's able to dish out decent damage with Q/E and is effective at clearing waves. When a team fight happens, that's where you dive in and use your ult and actually tank. Ult can be used on a turret too along with garrison to get multi kills easily.

Regarding your assessments of his abilities, his Q has a 7 sec cd (4.2 with proper CDR), which seems pretty good to me considering it's an aoe slow with decent damage.

Regarding his gust, it's primarily used for harassing and letting your allies catch up with the enemy. When combined with Q, it's a great combination for chasing/escaping. The harass is the important component of the spell, not the speed boost.

His shield is strong and can easily keep allies alive for a little longer, but it's not a game-changing shield, I can agree with that. The important component of the spell is the resists, the heal is a perk and I think it's working as intended, similar to the gust's speed boost.

Your overall assessment of him makes it sound like you're disappointed he can't be tanky, do insane damage with a good shield, a speed boost and awesome heals. Guess what, no champ can do that.

The rest of your arguments speak about my abilities, my team comp, whether I queued alone or in a group and bad players. All that is irrelevant in assessing whether or not a champ is "subpar." Most Urgot players I've seen have been horrible and I've stomped all over them, but he's one of the most OP champs in dom. I am not going to go into an Urgot post and talk about how bad he is though, I don't know him well enough because I don't play him. Do you play Galio enough in dom to accurately assess his OBJECTIVE strength?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ace Mckick

Senior Member

01-28-2012

also my ign is Nongers


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prometheius

Senior Member

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Mckick View Post
I've been carrying games hard as him recently. Why does it seem like I'm the only one who's using him? I mean I know he's situational, but I just can't seem to stop winning with him. 15 game winning streak with him atm
Zero galio games. Last 10 all co-ops. Last game in July 2011.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

Senior Member

01-28-2012

I think galio is pretty darn good. I play him bot a lot when I'm bored of yorick.

I just don't think he's powerful as a tank vs. an AD dominated team, which is what you see alot on dom. He has no peel ability outside of his ult, his passive will be wasted against such a team.

He's not bad. He's just an underperformer compared to other tank champs. That said, I'm enjoying playing him bot. He does about as good a job at pushing as yorick and is a better defender. I still have yet to get into a bot match with a strong sustain champ like skarner though. Sivir can be a bit of a pain.


123