Galio The Unforgiving Sentinel

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ace Mckick

01-27-2012

I've been carrying games hard as him recently. Why does it seem like I'm the only one who's using him? I mean I know he's situational, but I just can't seem to stop winning with him. 15 game winning streak with him atm

Aroyok

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Mckick View Post
I've been carrying games hard as him recently. Why does it seem like I'm the only one who's using him? I mean I know he's situational, but I just can't seem to stop winning with him. 15 game winning streak with him atm
Because he's underrated. He's actually quite good for people who know how to play him.

Trevorcop

01-27-2012

I play a decent amount of Galio. Most people recognize his ult as the skill that makes him scary (it is terrifying), but I think his shield is his best skill. 90 armor and magic resistance for 4 seconds (and a short cooldown) at level 5 for your carry --- making them near tank-like. His utility is really nice after that, too.

Ace Mckick

01-27-2012

Generally I get really tanky and on top of that my burst is insane due to no one building resists on CS. It's pretty rediculous how hard he gets to kill. Assuming you use your bulwark on yourself instead of the carry (given your being focused not them) I can almost out heal some of the damage that tryn and vayne are dealing. And the speed boost at the start is noticeable.

Viktoree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2012

I agree that he's a very good pick, can completely dominate AP champs bot lane.

Lifrathsir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2012

Well, I was curious about your builds...but your last game played was July 12, 2011.

What account are you playing?

SentinelOfPain

01-27-2012

To understand why he isn't the best pick you can have, I have to say it really depends on your team and coordination. If you don't have a coordinated team (say like public matches outside of vent/skype) then you probably shouldn't pick Galio. If you have faith in your team or are on vent/skype or are playing with people you know well, you can probably get them to work with and around you.

First of all, most players want to build MR on him because his passive gives you 50% ap scaling. On DOM, the majority of players like to pick AD based champions because of the passive armor pen they get. In addition, many AD champs excel on the Crystal Scar and are therefore more likely to be picked.

With that in mind, there are usually only 1 or sometimes 2 AP characters, like Ryze or Kassadin or Cass or whatever. If you build MR, you only counter those two champions, and furthermore they don't have to go bot if you're bot laning and don't have to top if you top lane. So, even if you do counter them with MR they can still possibly be smart/coordinated enough to screw you over and even if they aren't, mid-late game will deliver a swift gank up your ass from an AD carry.

So lets say you build armor and AP, you have effectively gimped yourself involuntarily so good job there. Lets discuss his shield bulwark. This skill is by no means useless, as it can save lives and change the tide of the game (if used correctly). But, there are still some fundamental flaws in it. If you don't level it consistently, then the boost are still easily overcome, especially with the armor pen buffs. In addition, the healing you get from it is gimped, and it decreases by 20% each hit the target suffers. If that wasn't bad enough, it only scales with a 0.3 ap ratio, so even if you build MR and ap, it's still not that great of a heal.

In short, bulwark is good if you use it right and if you level it, making it very situational and not all that dependable.

Then there's his speed boost. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say with all the Gailos I've ever played with the speed boost didn't do much for me. Maybe it helped a Galio escape once or twice, but it's probably better to just damage with it because of it's 0.5 ap scaling.

His main damage ability resolute smite has 0.7 ap scaling and reduces movement speed of enemies. A respectable ability, but taking into consideration cooldowns and combos Galio will use, it isn't all that impressive. In addition to that, your ult is the only thing you can use to continue damage if you have already used gust offensively, which isn't what it's normally used for.

Now his ult, which I believe is genuinely the best thing about him. Sadly, even this depends on your teammates. f your teammates aren't there, it is likely that you won't kill anyone unless you use it on a weak champ. Also, you can't spam this, so you have one shot every once in a while to defend your turret or distract the enemy. Even worse, champs can build things that let them out of your ult (like QSS) or they can be GP (oranges) or just to spite you for the hell of it, GP can build a QSS. Your ult isn't infallible or even close to it, but hey, it's arguable that nothing is.

These are my main reasons on why Gailo is sub-par. Anyone who is good at him or knows him well enough can easily claim that these things don't stop them from playing well or aren't even worth taking into account, but really, how many people are that good at Galio? Most of the people I play with (blind pick) are bad anyway, so why compound the problem with Galio?

Overall he has potential, but leaves a LOT to be desired.

Ace Mckick

01-27-2012

agreed on most points, but as far as Dom, most AD's don't build QSS and build Glass cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifrathsir View Post
Well, I was curious about your builds...but your last game played was July 12, 2011.

What account are you playing?
I generally start out with chalice and boots, then Build armor based on the team. by the end of the game I generally have FON, Merc Boots, Randuins or FH, Rylais, and Abyssal. Odyns if I feel I need it

LegendaryEnemy

01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroyok View Post
Because he's underrated. He's actually quite good for people who know how to play him.
I want to know how to play him. Please explain the ins and outs.

Ace Mckick

01-27-2012

Pretty much his Passive is godly. Build Magic res and gain AP for you kit. This means that getting scaling MR Glyphs actually improves your AP as well by converting it at a .5 ratio. Which is HUGE. half of your Defense against mages lets you kill them back. Your Q is a skill shot that nukes and slows. easily clear minion waves after getting to level 9. If you aim it correctly you can stop multiple people from capping and it allows your team to chase as it slows the enemy. Your W is an Armor/Magic Res buff that heals you when it's target takes damage. Not only can it be self cast to act as a huge buff (Level 5 would give you 45 AP as well as 90 armor and mres) it can be used to make you carry almost immortal in certain situations. Your E is a skill shot "ray" that lasts and passively boosts you and your teams MS. At level 5 by a whopping 50%. That on top of ghost and the map MS buff is almost as good as a dash, and its for the whole team. Also it scaling at a .5 ration means that it can be used as a second nuke and chase. Your ultimate is an Aoe taunt that give your team plenty of opportunity to kill the enemy carry. Having flash in conjunction means you can ninja flash over a wall taunt the entire team and save your carry/turn a team fight. Over all he is a beast at defense if you can land skill shots, and being that they are skill shots means you can aim in to FoW for kills and assists.