[Champion Concept] Orkan, the Hurricane's Vanguard

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prometheius

11-29-2011

Written while I am suffering insomnia.

Quote:
Game Display:
Roles: Mage, Melee, Fighter, Pusher
Health: High
Spells: Average
Attacks: Weak
Difficulty: Medium

Quote:
Passive - High Winds
Orkan ignores unit collision and gains Armor and Magic resistance.

Armor/Magic Resist Increase: 5/10/15/20/25
Increases at levels: 1/4/8/12/16

Quote:
Q - Gale Force (Piercing Skill Shot)
Orkan gathers the winds around him into a powerful blast and unleashes it at his enemies, dealing magic damage on all enemies it passes through. The wind is strong enough to cleave through armor and rend magic resistance.

Magic Damage: 40/100/160/220/280 (+.7 AP)
Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 Mana
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 Seconds
Range: 1100
Armor and Magic Resistance Reduction: 10/15/20/25/30
Duration of Defense Reduction: 3s
Missile Speed: 1700
Missile Size: 250
Casting Time: Instant

Quote:
W - Storm Crush (Target Enemy Champion)
Orkan surrounds his spear in a howling gale and leaps at an enemy champion, dealing magic damage and stunning his target when he lands.

Magic Damage: 40/80/120/160/200 (+.4 AP)
Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 Mana
Cooldown: 8 Seconds
Range: 550
Stun Duration: 1.5s
Speed of Leap: 1500
Quote:
E - Striking Air (Piercing Skill Shot)
Orkan slashes the air with his lance, unleashing a pressurized air wave at his enemies. Once an enemy is hit, Orkan dashes in the wake of the wave, crashing into and stunning the first enemy champion hit.

Magic Damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+.3 AP)
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 Seconds
Range: 1100
Stun Duration: .5s
Missile Speed: 1500
Missile Size: 200
Orkan's Dash Speed: 2000

Quote:
R - Hurricane Speech (Toggle)
Orkan summons a hurricane around himself that deals continuous magic damage to enemies and slows them down. Orkan's allies also receive a movement speed boost inside the hurricane.

Magic Damage: 75/125/175 (+.3 AP)
Cost: 30 Initial + 7/10/13 Upkeep Increase per Second
Cooldown: 9/7/5 seconds
Radius of AOE: 500
Enemy Move Speed Reduction: 5/10/15%
Ally Move Speed Boost: 3/6/9%
Duration of Slow/Haste After Leaving AOE: 2s

Prometheius

11-29-2011

Change Log:

11-29-11: Created concept.
1-20-12: Added Scaling upkeep and reduced intial cost to Ultimate

Veral42

11-30-2011

Alright, this is a fairly interesting champion that I feel has a couple of core issues. With so many piercing skill shots, taking a chain combo of abilities on an AP ratio scale is going to hurt. A lot. Coupling that with the over use of stunning and MRes/Armor neutering mechanics is going to make this champion stupidly OP in any kind of fight. I would suggest taking a look at Ezreal, he's a great example of a champion that balances an abundance of powerful skillshots with the lack of ANY CC whatsoever. As for your "R" ability, the damage is far to massive for any kind of constant AoE, offers far to much utility for a skill that will essentially be "free" endgame with an Archangel Staff, and (as a constant rule throughout) the cooldowns on abilities are far to low. Even Maokai's ulti (most similar to yours that I can think of offhand in terms of dealing damage and utility) has a low cap on damage dealing potential, plus even with CDR it's going to end up at about a 30 second cooldown per use. The champion concept as a whole is interesting, but is far to strong in to versatile a range of role selections. I'd love to see the numbers worked with a bit more, and a few more comparisons done to similar role champions, in order to nail down what would be more balanced when being used in game.

DarksideEric

11-30-2011

Hey, me again!

Same as last time, I'll talk possible play style (in my view) rather than numbers, etc.

I'm thinking E, Q, R, W, auto attack until CDs come off, repeat as desired.

I would lead with E prior to using Q'd MR reduction simply because E can hit multiple enemies and can be potentially used on the initiator/tank during a team fight. Stun them just long enough to Q them point blank to set up ally follow ups, then R to further set up allies and finally W away from the tank to someone else. I don't want to use W on the tank, even though it has the longer Stun, because I want to save the higher Stun for the AD Carry/Support to keep them out of the fight longer, but also focus my Q on the tank to make them potentially easier to take down.

This Champ + Trundle, or anyone with a Taunt, could make opposing tanks very, very easy to deal with.

Galio ult, Shen Dash, Rammus Taunt + the above combo could be wicked, not to mention if you had even more CC style champions.

A very scary team could be Orkan, Galio, Riven/Olaf, Ashe, Alistar/Sona.

Orkan could play into several of those champions, even when paired just one of them, very, very well.

DarkPercy

11-30-2011

Gonna try to stay simple. I find Q and W very cool, but isn't E just a mix of Q and W? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but it kinda looks like the two abilities together xD. Passive works, it's simple, balanced and functional but... Boring xD. (That's just my opinion though) Your ultimate is epic xD. Toggle ult FTW! But now... Is it balanced? Permanent 175 damage per second late game :O? I'd suggest making it work like Taric's old ultimate (the mana cost to sustain the spell increases each seconds) and increase the cooldown a bit. That way your ult won't have infinite duration (or almost).

Having another wind champion in LoL wouldn't hurt ;P. This champ has potential.

mdiaz2828

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2012

O-kay....this is gonna be a long haul, so listen up.
His passive, especially on a mage, is really powerful. It's like an incredibly more powerful version of Fizz's passive, and at max level gives the same bonus as Garen's fully farmed Courage. Again, on a mage, really powerful!

His Q...the damage is high. You've given a piercing skill the same range as Xerath's Q AFTER he uses his Locus of Power, and even more damage. Not to mention the reductions to their defenses, that's just frosting.

His W...That's shockingly weak. Aside from the stun, it's a single target skill that does LESS damage than the multi-hitting Q. And has the same casting range as Twitch's AA range (Effectively speaking). No reason to use it, especially since his Q will be on a shorter CD past level 3.

His E...That's like Amumu's Bandage toss. With Less damage. Same range, though. My only question, because I can't really tell, does it hit multiple enemies like Zenith Blade, but go after the first champion hit, or does it work exactly like Bandage Toss, just the first enemy hit? It's either OP or UP, depending.

His R...Wow, there's a lot to say here. The damage is more than Karthus' E, has a better ratio, 50 less radius, and the cost is a helluva lot less! One Meki Pendant and it doesn't even matter. And thanks to the movement slow, they're gonna be getting damaged by it for a while. And the movement speed buff for your ALLIES, even though it;s small, will still make it easier to kill the enemy. I don't even get WHY it has a cooldown. Just for being silenced? Not even Karthus can be silenced out.

All in all, good lord...This mage can just kill everyone, by himself or with his team, and he'll always come out ahead. If I was playing and I saw this guy on the enemy team, I'd be typing /surrender at all times. And if he was on my team, I'd slack off because I wouldn't even need to do all that much work with him around.

Prometheius

01-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKID232 View Post
O-kay....this is gonna be a long haul, so listen up.
His passive, especially on a mage, is really powerful. It's like an incredibly more powerful version of Fizz's passive, and at max level gives the same bonus as Garen's fully farmed Courage. Again, on a mage, really powerful!
That's not really the case. Mages have poor defensive itemizations outside of HP, and Orkan's supposed to be a hybrid AP Tank, kind of like Cho Goth. Instead of having massive amounts of HP, he'll be slightly bulkier at max level.

Also, his defenses rely on leveling up. he'll have pretty sub-par early defenses unless geared and runed for it. At lvl 16, he'll match Garen's passive W, but Garen can have his maxed from lvl 2+, if he really wants to.

I don't think +25 Ar/Mres is that big of a deal when Xin gets it from hitting one guy, Graves from tagging mobs for 7 seconds, Wukong by being near 3 enemies, and Garen passive. Especially since this relies on levels.

Being able to walk through mobs doesn't really help much end-game. It's more of an early game thing because his basic skills, except for his Q poke, all propel him into enemy lines.

Unless they have high damage, all tanky DPS and Tanks that do that have an escape. Orkan's is actually arguably the weakest of these since he needs to walk out without any speed boost. Even Alistar can at least headbutt a minion to escape; Orkan can't.

Quote:
His Q...the damage is high. You've given a piercing skill the same range as Xerath's Q AFTER he uses his Locus of Power, and even more damage. Not to mention the reductions to their defenses, that's just frosting.
It's his only high damage basic skill and requires him investing points in it. In lane, Orkan can either choose to be a poke harass supporter or be the initiator. If he levels Q to support harass, then he has a much higher CD on his gap closer.

This skill alone doesn't do enough damage to make Orkan a primary mage character unless he heavily invests in AP, yet if he does, then he gets blown the hell up despite his durability boost from his passive.

The AR Redux is for bot lane support or solo top support. Junglers and AD carries typically fight in those lanes, so the AR Redux bump up the damage.

Range is too much though. Probably drop it down to 1k. Seems to be about the right spot for speed harass skills.

Quote:

His W...That's shockingly weak. Aside from the stun, it's a single target skill that does LESS damage than the multi-hitting Q. And has the same casting range as Twitch's AA range (Effectively speaking). No reason to use it, especially since his Q will be on a shorter CD past level 3.
It's a CC skill. That is its ONLY purpose. Think of it as Panth's Shield smash. You use it to CC someone, not damage.

The shield bash isn't even the primary initiation move. It's a skill used to pin someone down while your allies are closing in on them. Like Eric posted, you RE onto something, Q, then W onto the squishy to CC them for a bit.

Quote:
His E...That's like Amumu's Bandage toss. With Less damage. Same range, though. My only question, because I can't really tell, does it hit multiple enemies like Zenith Blade, but go after the first champion hit, or does it work exactly like Bandage Toss, just the first enemy hit? It's either OP or UP, depending.
Leona except on first target.

Quote:
His R...Wow, there's a lot to say here. The damage is more than Karthus' E, has a better ratio, 50 less radius, and the cost is a helluva lot less! One Meki Pendant and it doesn't even matter. And thanks to the movement slow, they're gonna be getting damaged by it for a while. And the movement speed buff for your ALLIES, even though it;s small, will still make it easier to kill the enemy. I don't even get WHY it has a cooldown. Just for being silenced? Not even Karthus can be silenced out.
It's an ULTIMATE. Of course it's going to do more damage than Karthus'. Heck, Rammus does more damaeg unless Orkan keeps this thing on for 10s, by which point he'll have drained 1000 mana from just ulting.

And no, it's cost is way more expensive if Orkan keeps it up past 6s. He doesn't have a free-cast after death passive to give it 7s more uptime.

Toggle is so Orkan can't do the BS toggle on/off to keep the mana cost really low. Turn it off, and he's got zero DPS. Keep it on and his mana is drained really fast.

It's called getting counter options. Make Orkan burn the ulti then silence him when he needs to toggle it off.

Quote:
All in all, good lord...This mage can just kill everyone, by himself or with his team, and he'll always come out ahead. If I was playing and I saw this guy on the enemy team, I'd be typing /surrender at all times. And if he was on my team, I'd slack off because I wouldn't even need to do all that much work with him around.
If I was playing against Orkan, he'd be a trivial problem. He's a less tanky and less CC version of Rammus who got some more multi-target damage and better initiation without summoners.

DefenestratedCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Q: OP. I'd suggest range reduction(you would be able to attack people right under their turrets while being outside turret range), cooldown increase, mana cost increase(lv. 5 mana is less than most equivalent abilities at level 1)

W: Does too much damage to be CC only. I would at least halve the damage and the AP ratio.

E: again low mana costs, and too high damage and range.

R: Way OP.

Quote:
It's an ULTIMATE. Of course it's going to do more damage than Karthus'.
Actually, ultimates aren't more overpowered than other abilities. Their power is mitigated by other things, usually high cooldowns. I would suggest having a time limit of how long it stays up and a longer cooldown, at least 30 seconds.

Tyrantherus

01-22-2012

Ok, let the Tyrantherus Review BEGIN!
Note, the comments are made as I am reading along, so I may be proven wrong later as I read and comment accordingly.

Lore- So far, none yet. If you want, once you include some I'll be more than glad to review that portion.

Game Display- From the looks of it, I would see him playing somewhat like a tanky support with a little bit of offense. Slightly reminiscent of Maokai's playstyle in a sense.

Passive- Ok, he's definitely got some tanky aspects going for him now. With the passive, giving additional armor and magic resist is fine and dandy, no quarrels. Just wish it was slightly more creative in terms of how you get that bonus armor and magic resist. Still, its pretty sound thus far.

Gale Force- Early on, the skill is a tad weak, until I realize how spammable it is with a low cooldown and low mana cost. The problem with this ability is that the late game numbers are a tad high, let alone your also reducing magic resist and armor. I would probably reduce the numbers down to 40/85/130/175/220 on the base damage. Compare to Galio's Righteous Gust. Your skill has, potentially, a half the cooldown, currently dealing more damage in both base and AP ratio, costs less mana, more range, and leads to a follow up for even more damage on other abilities by shredding the MR and armor.

Storm Crush- Pretty well balanced, the only recommendation I would give is possibly increasing the range to 575. Also, can he leap onto friendlies similar to jax or katarina?

Striking Air- At this point you now have two gap closers. IF he is able to target allies with Storm Crush, he may be pretty darn annoying in a similar playstyle as Lee Sin, except AP based. Striking Air, dash to enemy, Storm Crush back to safety. One question though is, what if there isn't an enemy champion hit by Striking Air? Does it simply deal damage, or does it bring you to a minion if you did, in fact, hit one?

Hurricane Speech- This, as it currently is, is far too strong. Considering you have 2 gap closers, a slow, and that much continuous magic damage, there is no way anyone will be able to escape, let alone you may never have to detoggle it at that mana cost. Compare to Anivia's ultimate. It deals less damage in both base and ratio, costs more mana in both initial and upkeep cost, and has a smaller radius. On top of this, the likelyhood of an enemy staying in there is a lot less than yours, since anivia's aoe cannot move around and is stationary upon toggling on. Admittingly, Anivia's does slow for more, and supplements frostbite, but at the same time yours grants a speed boost as compensation. There's multiple ways you can go about balancing it while still keeping it the same, but my top recommendations are as follows:
A. Make it an activated ability, causing the hurricane for a certain duration.
B. Decrease damage and increase mana costs.
C. Increase mana costs and decrease aoe size (Anivia's for comparison, is a 300 radius).

Overall- Definitely needs some work, but has potential. Main things you need to work on are his ultimate and Gale force in terms of numbers, and potentially the passive in terms of innovation, although sometimes going back to the basics can be a good thing. With the rest of his skill set however, I feel it can be improved to something else that, although still correlates a tanky aspect, plays a more active role in his playstyle.