How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rnatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2012

there hasnt been any trundle free weeks for the past couple of months.

NoxiousIce

01-16-2012

Hello RiotChris,

I'd like to first thank you for taking the time to let us know how these are chosen. I think for the most part the chosen champions each week or so are very well fit together, and in general accomplish the goals that are set out for them fairly well.

I like that they're hand chosen for the most part, because while a system could be coded to do it (an even do it effectively, avoiding slow, stun, or stealth city,) I don't feel It would have the same feel. I guess that's hard to understand, because Its hard to explain, but it is what it is.

I also like that In general new champions are free the 2nd week (or there about) after coming out. It gives those of us who plan to buy them anyway a chance to try them out without having to compete with everyone to do so. Then it gives those of us who aren't sure if we want to buy them yet the chance to give them a try, after already having experienced playing against them (plus I'd imagine it works out nicely for you over in marketing.)

I of course have a few questions though:

Where do support fall on your priorities list for rotating into free champions? (Given that there are few of them, if you gave one every week, it'd hard not to repeat them fast.)

And seeing as how you are in marketing:

Are new champions always 6300 (since Jarvan and Trundle, and mostly before them too,) because of the more complicated kits that are coming out, or are they 6300 so that older players have something to decrease their massive IP pool, or perhaps so that the associated RP price will be the same as other 6300 champions? Or is it some other reason entirely? I wouldn't mind paying 975 for every new champion for the first month or two (in RP) but I'd really like it if simpler kitted champions (such as Sejuani) were kept in a more affordable range as far as IP goes, it really cuts down one the Runes I can purchase when around fifty percent of the champions I don't own cost so much, and the ones that I do own can be purchased all together in a bundle.

Also, this is a serious question, not a way to throw a complaint in there as a question (though I'm sure it may seem that way,) and I'd appreciate an answer greatly.

Thanks.

Straqz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2012

Thanks for info

KindaMonst3r

01-16-2012

Where is cassiopeia?!

DeityBot

01-16-2012

Let's get upvotes to 2012.

Rophiroth

01-17-2012

plz make lee sin, lux, udyr! playing from many month ago and never seen them... want to try it before buy!

zelljko

01-17-2012

Please can u put kennen in next champion rotation,i never played with him and i want to try please? Thank you

DavidJerk

01-17-2012

I'd like to try out Kennen as well, was wondering when he was last free. Or Malzahar.

Quite Chilly

01-17-2012

So happy that this week is Vayne <3. Have been wanting to test her out!

Kcrash 0P

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
is this a cool idea? Yes.
Would people abuse the hell out of this? Hell yes.
Is it REALLY easy to get enough IP to get 3 champions?... yep.
I do agree, but I do think you should at least give 1 Champion for free that you can choose. But you can not choose any champion, you can only choose from a select few. Perhaps choose 1 champion out of 5 that Riot has selected (a few of those that are very cheap on IP). That way it seems a lil bit more personal to the player.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quite Chilly View Post
So happy that this week is Vayne <3. Have been wanting to test her out!
^.^
Agreed, I also want to try out Talon as well =D