Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zinwrath

01-15-2012

I think the game has several women that dont fit this mold...dont forget poppy and tristana..cough annie. The real people effected by this upset of such are the same people who get angry at the overall commercial image of women. Its not Riots fault...its everywhere. Girls want to play or be hot girls in games...you dont see girls buying ugly bratz dolls or ugly barbies...they wouldnt want them. Unless it was barbies best friend she keeps around to make her seem more attractive at clubs...my point is. Both Men "who wanna see hot chicks with girl parts" and girls "who wanna play as what they would ideally like to look like" want to play chars that look appealing. They dont stick hot girls in fashion magazines for girls or on beer or car ads for guys because they want to brainwash them into thinking thats attractive....its attractive thus it brainwashes them to buy ****. So sure..lets have some more variety...but keep in mind when your designing a character you want people to have fun playing and want people to buy it. You gotta make it something people want to enjoy role playing as (or gawking at)....and ideally you want to hit the majority of the demographic when you do so to increase sales.

Spikywarkitten

01-15-2012

Sejuani I think was a perfect opportunity for RIOT to be innovative, but it seems they passed it by. Sometimes girls are muscular and gruff. She is a battle hardened warrior riding a freaking boar. I think it would have been ok for her to be lacking femininity.

On the general topic, it seems RIOT actually lacks some trust in their animators. Women hold themselves and walk differently. If most of my female friends were to don full plate armor, I would still be able to pick them out of a crowd of men because they hold themselves and walk like women. I dare RIOT to make a female champion with nothing visible that makes her female (hair/breasts/girly colors) but to make it clear she is a woman only by the way she walks/moves. Yes, it would be hard, but I think the animators are more capable than you give credit.
(KAYLE use to be lacking outward attributes of a female, but they changed it. I actually liked the old kayle better in that respect. Nothing wrong with the "oh, that warrior was a female" cliche)

Asutari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

While i do agree that the overwhelming amount of T 'n' A on female champs is overused, it has always been backed up by that characters role in the game or their lore. They are all dressed in a manner that can explain their background. Leona's color scheme and huge amounts of armor has that look and feel that she is devoted to the sun and protection of others. Miss Fortune a pirate (herp derp). Vayne sorta like a Vigilante or something from the Watchmen comic, hunting evil at night.
Hopefully the point gets across.

Amarth

01-15-2012

Part of fantasy is that armor can look anyway the artist wants and it will still protect the wearer. For example Janna is basically in a cloth bikini, but doesnt take any more damage from it. Specifically, I'd say theres just as much diversity in male champ designs as female, which is apparently to peoples opinions very little. They come in beefy with tiny heads or even more beefy with tinier heads. I say let artistic license win over on this.

Side note, people are requesting all of these "hot males" type character, but there are a bunch of guys with bare chests in the league (tyrndamere and gargas for instance) why can't we have a bare chested female in the league??? See? Sexism. =P

Edit: this is like the second thread in the last hour on the same issue that I have commented on. I understand theres a lot of people with issues here (insert joke here) but perhaps we should try keeping them to one thread, I'm not going to copy paste my points into every thread on this topic that comes along, so in the end my posts will just become more and more cynical. Just saying.

DarkOrchid

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikywarkitten View Post
Sejuani I think was a perfect opportunity for RIOT to be innovative, but it seems they passed it by. Sometimes girls are muscular and gruff. She is a battle hardened warrior riding a freaking boar. I think it would have been ok for her to be lacking femininity.

On the general topic, it seems RIOT actually lacks some trust in their animators. Women hold themselves and walk differently. If most of my female friends were to don full plate armor, I would still be able to pick them out of a crowd of men because they hold themselves and walk like women. I dare RIOT to make a female champion with nothing visible that makes her female (hair/breasts/girly colors) but to make it clear she is a woman only by the way she walks/moves. Yes, it would be hard, but I think the animators are more capable than you give credit.
(KAYLE use to be lacking outward attributes of a female, but they changed it. I actually liked the old kayle better in that respect. Nothing wrong with the "oh, that warrior was a female" cliche)
It would probably take too much time to do and they are somewhat limited on the game engine.

Flana Scarlet

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarth View Post
Part of fantasy is that armor can look anyway the artist wants and it will still protect the wearer.
Nope. See, this would have a lot more credibility if it wasn't blatantly one-sided. Look at the "armor" (or even just clothes) of all the female champions. Look fantastic enough? Now go look at the armor on all the male characters. Why doesn't Garen wear less armor? Why are Jarvan and Xin Zhao in full battle mail? About the only two female characters off the top of my head that actually look like they have a fitting apperance that matches internal consistance are Leona and Lux. Lux actually wears light clothing that covers and has enough to protect from elements while allowing movement. Leona actually has armor.

Probably the worst example is Irelia, because of how close she was. Suit, armor, almost perfect. Then suddenly it stops at breast level. Why?! It's in her lore that she is a trained swordsmen, shes participated in battle after battle. It seems utterly retarded that she'd not only leave the top half of her torso unarmored and completely ungaurded, but that she'd actually make it easier for enemy soilder to stab herself in the heart (those boob-plates make for an excellent funnel). It's a disconnect between what is to be expected and what is presented. Someone like, say, Miss Fortune who dresses skimpy is fine, because her personality and story is about using her charm and skill to take down pirates. Someone like Irelia who has a blatent and obvious flaw in her armor does not match with the image of a warrior, which is what they were attempting to present. "Fantasy" has nothing to do with it, because she's already wearing almost perfect clothes. The disconnect is what makes it stand out.

And as another annoyance of mine, why do some of the girls of League seem to be missing serious amounts of internal organs? Riven is the greatest offender. Either her hips are massive or she's missing most of her intestines. Belts do not hang almost vertically off your waist. MF is another example, she looks like she'd break in half if someone sneezed on her back.

EzerosX

01-15-2012

It has taken me a very long time to read this thread and links from each post. Very worthwhile and helped improve my thoughts on the maturity of the community. +1 (also, stalking IronStylus brought me here)

HamOfJustice

01-15-2012

Sometimes I just facepalm at things like Sona in general, Dragonslayer Vayne, Imperial Lux (look how tight her shirt is), and Soraka, who being ****ty don't even suit. It's expected on Katarina, MF, etc. but why does it have to be almost everyone?

ReverEND Raidon

01-15-2012

I get kind of a kick out of Eve's comment, "It takes a lot of effort to move like this in heels." It feels like even she is in on the fact that the outfit is impracticable and could exist only in fantasy. Well, it humors me until I hear it for the tenth time in a game... wish they'd drop the random probability a bit.

It's a really difficult topic because I do enjoy variety and with so many characters I think it's really important to have unique elements. On the other hand it's much more emotionally appealing to me to purchase the sensual and attractive skins, knowing full well it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. Case in point, I love playing Tristiana but really don't have any desire to buy a skin for her. Though the firefighter skin a is a bit humorous, if only it weren't legendary...

There's a few posts on how disproportionate the bodies are. There's actually a term in psychology called super-normal stimuli. It's where we idolize things on the far end of the spectrum. It's interesting because many animals do it too. Peacocks being a prime example of it getting out of hand, until they've selectively bred themselves to the point where their showy feathers are actually maladaptive to survival.

No real moral conclusion, just some thoughts on the subject.

buddahsluv

01-15-2012

annie's a kid and we love to kill her in league of legends.