Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bastriuz

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikky View Post
No but if you took her and put a human skin color on her she would look exactly like a human .
So you mean her skin where she is skinned like a human?

Dreamcleaver

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged Magikarp View Post
This is why I REALLY like Shyvana's model. She LOOKS strong.
Till she changes into bat...err...I mean dragon form.

Warroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-13-2012

I haven't enjoyed reading a forum post (and responses) this much in a while. Funny stuff. The answer is that not are there more males playing computer games than females, but there are also more males MAKING computer games than females. Most straight men design female characters who they feel are attractive (call it being human), and most male players consciously or unconsciously want to play games with females that aren't unattractive.

Samurai Squash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

I am so glad that a post about this issue finally got red-recognized. I love this game so much and this is the only glaring issue that keeps it from being perfect in my mind.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against "idealized form" characters. My issue is, EVERY female champion (excluding yordles, and Anivia, but she's just a bird) is an idealization of the female form. At least the male side gets champions like Urgot, Cho'gath, Rammus, Zilean, Gragas, etc. They're certainly not physically attractive in any way, but they're interesting characters and they're cool and that's why people play them. Why can't we have female characters that are valuable for reasons other than how "sexy" they look? Even the female "monster" champ is just a sexy lady torso slapped on a snake's tail ;_;
I guess it just requires more careful consideration of what makes a female champion female. Like, are Kog' Maw and Cho' Gath male simply because of the absence of breasts? They don't have abs or mustaches or anything, so what makes them male? Do female champions need huge boobs, long hair, and tiny clothes to be female?
This is just something that I've been thinking about for a long time and discussing with other friends of mine (both male and female) who are also frustrated with the homogenous body design of female champions.
I still definitely love League's visual style and designs in general, and I hope the artists take this discussion and critique as an opportunity to really push the envelope of character design and be more innovative and all that good stuff.

Woozl

01-13-2012

Leona. Tristana. Annie. Poppy. Karma. Anivia. Cassiopeia. Soraka. Orianna (debatable).

I'm not saying stereotypical big breasts no clothes females don't happen, they happen quite often, but please, PLEASE do not discount the unique styles when they occur.

PhoenixArc

01-13-2012

Why do people care so badly about this. Is their self esteem so low that seeing a busty woman in a video game actually makes them depressed? I'm a guy and by no means do i have the body of tryndamere, Garen, Xin...every human male champion in the game. Does it make me angry? No not really.
And you talk about demographic? 18-35 year olds hm? Ok so then tell me is the 36-99 year old demographic so different? Or the 5-17 year old demographic. I'm pretty sure its exactly the same. So do not talk about demographic when its the same across all ages.

And would you really want a game where every champion didnt follow the "standard" body style? To be honest you wouldnt. I am wiling to bet that 45% of the subconcious reason you play this game and choose the characters you choose are because they look good. Oh sure there will be a few of you out there who say differently but i bet if you could look at the match history of every game you played the majority of the time it would be filled with a good looking character.

So seriously. Stop whining. Its a really stupid topic. If you want to complain to someone about this complain to Team Ninja or Namco. I'm pretty sure Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur depict their women in a much higher state of sexuality then this game.

Lillia

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikky View Post
No but if you took her and put a human skin color on her she would look exactly like a human .
And? Ahri looks like a human but she isn't. Mundo isn't human. Karthus isn't human.

Kiddalee

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Maiden View Post
... isn't it more sexist that you think that girls with heels and that are sexy and beautiful are just pretty faces? ... It is more empowering for us girls to see models that have sexy clothes and high stilettos but still can KICK some ass. ...is it really hard to accept that a woman can be sexy and yet TOUGH at the same time? So basically we have to look like a guy or whatnot to be able to say we are tough and strong and powerful.
On the contrary, the mass media is saying that women have to look not just sexy, but overly sexy, in order to be tough. Look at all the women warriors in Hollywood: Valeria, Beatrix Kiddo, Charlie's Angels, and more... Why can't women be dressed and tough at the same time?

On an unrelated note, your post is barely readable. Use paragraphs and punctuation.

PhoenixArc

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Squash View Post
I am so glad that a post about this issue finally got red-recognized. I love this game so much and this is the only glaring issue that keeps it from being perfect in my mind.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against "idealized form" characters. My issue is, EVERY female champion (excluding yordles, and Anivia, but she's just a bird) is an idealization of the female form. At least the male side gets champions like Urgot, Cho'gath, Rammus, Zilean, Gragas, etc. They're certainly not physically attractive in any way, but they're interesting characters and they're cool and that's why people play them. Why can't we have female characters that are valuable for reasons other than how "sexy" they look? Even the female "monster" champ is just a sexy lady torso slapped on a snake's tail ;_;
I guess it just requires more careful consideration of what makes a female champion female. Like, are Kog' Maw and Cho' Gath male simply because of the absence of breasts? They don't have abs or mustaches or anything, so what makes them male? Do female champions need huge boobs, long hair, and tiny clothes to be female?
This is just something that I've been thinking about for a long time and discussing with other friends of mine (both male and female) who are also frustrated with the homogenous body design of female champions.
I still definitely love League's visual style and designs in general, and I hope the artists take this discussion and critique as an opportunity to really push the envelope of character design and be more innovative and all that good stuff.

How do you know if Cho'Gath or Kog are male. TBH they could honestly have been female. You dont know how the different genders look in their races. Riot just decided to say he instead of she. Why? Cuz it's honestly a lot less confusing.

Plus arent you forgetting Annie? She by no means is standard huge boobs long hair type.

Wet Poncho

01-13-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8
i dont see the problem with lols designs :P