Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CLlNTEASTWOOD

Senior Member

01-12-2012

**** or gtfo


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaddar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

as an Ilustrator myself I know there is a reason for the female characters have that body type on comics / games etc.

you can have 100 body types for a male and still looks like a male, but with females is a lot more complicated, you have less room to work with (boob size, hips, waist, and on less degree, legs and arms)... but you can't change neck size, shoulder chest like with males, because you risk your character not look female at all due to 3D modelling, drawing style, media and definition of the image and even perception from the viewer.

just think of it as if all drawings by definitions were male (like stick drawings being the most simple example), and the psyche has a limited ammount of features to distinguish something as "female".. (just try to temember how many grily emos and traps are out there), so you have to make a very clear definition of those features for your character to look female (for example: if she has no boobs, she has to have thin waist)

there are many ways to draw a dragon, but very few ones to draw a swan or a horse, same with males and females you can't change features on swans too much before it looking like some other bird.
Also and if you see a dragon, you'd think of it as a male, unless some very specific features.


basic point being, as all drawings are by definition male, you can play around more easily with the features (think of mundo and fiddlesticks), but the room to modify female features is a lot more limited, because you could even end up with somethin aking to, yes, Ezreal


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Farsight

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotasaurusgeth View Post
This is a fair point. I think the main problem, at least in my opinion, is that a lot of times the female characters are often made sexy regardless of who or what they are, while male characters often fit their appearances much more, not always, but more.

For instance, take Morgana. Is there any reason she runs around in a bra all the time? Sure she's evil and a fallen angel, but there's nothing about her or her backstory that also says she's a loose woman or needs to wear something like that in combat.

Or Shyvana. She's not terrible when it comes to weird armor, but she sports a whole lot of midriff and doesn't seem to like wearing real pants. Yet she's a warrior, and a Demacian at that (notorious for being goodie-goodies), and any practical warrior on the battlefield would probably want some form of real armor. I mean, you don't see the U.S. Marine ladies running around in battlebras do you?

And lastly, I don't know much about this new lady, but look at the rest of her. She's got a heavy weapon, a heavy shield, and she rides around on a badass mount. Clearly a warrior, clearly a battle hardened veteran, clearly someone who isn't afraid to take a defensive or offensive posture depending on the circumstances. So why is she in a bikini? It doesn't really fit with the rest of her.

A lot of the female characters in LoL seem to end up forced to be sexy for no particular good reason. There's no basis for it in their backgrounds or characters. In other words, the only reason it's done is because Riot thinks that it'll make people buy the champs.
I agree with you, and I certainly wouldn't mind if we had more female characters like Riven and Irelia, who are well-dressed and good-looking.

I just take issue with people who complain about objectification of female characters when one could use a similar argument for several male characters too. Tryndamere goes around shirtless instead of using a breastplate. Ezreal is a "pretty boy" through and through. Olaf wears what looks like form fitting leather armor and no pants. I won't even comment on Ruthless Pantheon.

And yet, they aren't simply defined by their looks (well, except the whole "gay ezreal" thing). Why doesn't this happen with the female characters too? Why are people quicker to judge a female by her looks than a male, even when the male could just as easily pass for "eyecandy"?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DustySniper

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
as an Ilustrator myself I know there is a reason for the female characters have that body type on comics / games etc.

you can have 100 body types for a male and still looks like a male, but with females is a lot more complicated, you have less room to work with (boob size, hips, waist, and on less degree, legs and arms)... but you can't change neck size, shoulder chest like with males, because you risk your character not look female at all due to 3D modelling, drawing style, media and definition of the image and even perception from the viewer.

just think of it as if all drawings by definitions were male (like stick drawings being the most simple example), and the psyche has a limited ammount of features to distinguish something as "female".. (just try to temember how many grily emos and traps are out there), so you have to make a very clear definition of those features for your character to look female (for example: if she has no boobs, she has to have thin waist)

there are many ways to draw a dragon, but very few ones to draw a swan or a horse, same with males and females you can't change features on swans too much before it looking like some other bird.
Also and if you see a dragon, you'd think of it as a male, unless some very specific features.


basic point being, as all drawings are by definition male, you can play around more easily with the features (think of mundo and fiddlesticks), but the room to modify female features is a lot more limited, because you could even end up with somethin aking to, yes, Ezreal
this is actually kind of interesting I never knew that. You learn something new every day.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jimit

Senior Member

01-12-2012

The only exception: Kayle


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaddar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimit View Post
The only exception: Kayle

and yet a LOT of us thought she was male when first joined League of Legends. this is a good example of my earlier post on this page

same with Samus Aran. (and she even had to show long hair and/or bikini for us to distinguish her as female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySniper View Post
this is actually kind of interesting I never knew that. You learn something new every day.
thank you sir.

as a complementary comment, with females, as you have a LOT less room to play with physical features, you have to compensate mostly with clothers and hair in order to show the character's attitude, with Sejulani, you can clearly see she is a warrior, badass, veteran and yet femenine.

Yes sometimes you need to put on sexy clothes on females to make the point clear, but also, if you think of a barbarian (like Conan, Tryndamere), you'd atuomatically think of it shirtless woudn't you?

when designing a character you need to consider the perception of the viewer, if you see someone dressed as Karma, Sona or Soraka it would be difficult to imagine her as a badass warrior, even with a bigass weapon.

Just think of it, when we see an elegant female with weapons we automatically think of her as an assasin or ninja or martial artist, but not a barbarian, same with males.

Sometimes sexy clothes are necessary.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SnP Mashiro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2012

i she wasnt riding a pig they would have my money.... pigs dont have claws they have hooves... the winter claw? more like the winter hoove.... realy disapointed on that end will not buy her because of that....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jaguar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
and yet a LOT of us thought she was male when first joined League of Legends. this is a good example of my earlier post on this page

same with Samus Aran. (and she even had to show long hair and/or bikini for us to distinguish her as female)



thank you sir.
Samus is hardly wearing a bikini, it's a full space outfit, even zero-suit is a FULL SKINNED Space outfit.

I'm starting to think this thread is just for womanizers to rant about nonsensical points.
Clearly reasons for what they do, and although they seem dishonorable for you, Like i said before, I've never heard of a girl who plays this game (and I know quite a few) that said ANYTHING about any of the characters figures.

Think of it like this. I'm weak constitution, and incredibly underweight (120 pounds at 5'7'', And its actually medical, I can't raise that number, so i look bony and scrawny) Ever think that Maybe I like to raise my esteem level by playing visually perfect Champions, that somehow I'm connecting to the champions and Being them in a Phycological way, and feeling better about my own image because of it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DustySniper

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaddar View Post
and yet a LOT of us thought she was male when first joined League of Legends. this is a good example of my earlier post on this page

same with Samus Aran. (and she even had to show long hair and/or bikini for us to distinguish her as female)



thank you sir.

as a complementary comment, with females, as you have a LOT less room to play with physical features, you have to compensate mostly with clothers and hair in order to show the character's attitude, with Sejulani, you can clearly see she is a warrior, badass, veteran and yet femenine.

Yes sometimes you need to put on sexy clothes on females to make the point clear, but also, if you think of a barbarian (like Conan, Tryndamere), you'd atuomatically think of it shirtless woudn't you?

when designing a character you need to consider the perception of the viewer, if you see someone dressed as Karma, Sona or Soraka it would be difficult to imagine her as a badass warrior, even with a bigass weapon.
When I think of a barbarian I think of a veteran warrior. Which from personal experience is a different look than you would expect. When you see someone who has been to war its their eyes that always tell you something and the way they carry themselves. A vet can always "smell" out another vet. I think this is a little hard to represent in fantasy characters so they adapt this with things like being shirtless bad asses.

A little side note to this after my first tour in afghanistan alot of my friends told me I was very scary and intimidating. Realistically I lost over 20 lbs and was smaller but people were more scared of me because of the "swagger" or the way I carried myself after.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lmaonade200

Senior Member

01-12-2012

honestly, strength has little to do with bulk, certainly it helps, but a person could have hidden muscles.