Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jaguar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchXBanister View Post
The hell they don't judge the book by it's cover on Ezreal, I'm still dealing with the "He's gay!" BS.
Him and Taric.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DustySniper

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Farsight View Post
Well, I apologize if i misunderstood your point, then. My point was simply that most of the people who complain about female objectification in this game seem to judge the female characters simply by their physical appearance, while completely ignoring who they are. You know, judging a book by its cover?

By contrast, this does not seem to happen with male characters, like Tryndamere, Pantheon, Ezreal or Olaf. I just do not understand why they give this courtesy to the males but not to the females.
I understand the point your trying to make. It seems that only woman get objectified. The men are just ignored.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mer Young

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaguar View Post
Him and Taric.
And Vladimir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barraind

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Well who the hell wants to play as a gross fat/uber muscular chick?
I'd be completely understanding if a bear-riding, flail wielding (a flail of exceptionally long length, to be specific) princess of the wilds had a look like, say, She-Hulk (who isnt un-attractive at the same time).

To nitpick, she couldnt possibly whip-crack a flail of that length.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jaguar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mer Young View Post
And Vladimir.
Vladamirs a striking young lad, leave him a lone he is self conscious!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jaguar

Senior Member

01-12-2012

I think the next champion shouldnt be human at all, I think the next champ should be a mask.
Majoras mask.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerxual

Senior Member

01-12-2012

She is related to Ashe...
She's also a Nord! (Frost Resistance)

I can understand why people complain about overly-female champions, but at the same time, I don't see how they can be so flustered by it; It's a game.

While the Male champions are varied in some ways, they would be exaggerated if compared to the average real human Male. While Caster types are typically thinner, they are no less muscular. Take Talon and his (While not a caster, he's no bruiser) newest skin for example, look at his shoulders. You cannot say that is any less stereotypical than the Wonder Woman-esque female champions.

Video game characters are built to be unnatural. Be it super-human, alien, monstrous, or something else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViashinoWizard

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contagioned View Post
The only way Cammy is muscular is a random six pack. Otherwise, she has a completely feminine body with hourglass, boobs, and a gigantic ass.

Chun Li only has muscular thighs. Otherwise, she has a completely feminine body with hourglass, and bigger boobs that Cammy.

Is this the variation you speak of that LoL lacks?
Well for one thing their arms and legs are also quite muscular. Now explain away She Hulk, Power Girl et al.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Contagioned

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
Not exactly. We do have manly men and pretty boys, sure. But of the manly men, we've got stocky, beefy, lean, athletic, burly, generally large, body-builder, and all sorts of variations on just being kinda strong.

The point, again, is that there's a lot of variety among the men, while the women are limited, in general, to a single highly idealized body type. There are lots of ways that women can be attractive, and not all of them involve hourglass figures or huge breasts.

I agree with you that this problem goes far beyond are little game of choice, but that's no reason to give up on trying to improve who we are and what we do. Who cares about the rest of society? We have the power to influence ourselves, and we should try to do better, to be better.
If it's commonly liked, we can expect things to change. It's still not a common thing to like women with muscles. It's also not common to like men that you would describe as "body-builder" or "burly." There's a certain amount of muscle that is accepted by society, which is what is represented in the game's characters. The amount of people that play League of Legends is large enough to assume that their opinions are decently reflected by society's opinions. We can't expect this many people to all of a sudden start to enjoy muscular women out of nowhere. Even slightly muscular women isn't a universally "attractive" female body type.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Robotasaurusgeth

Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Farsight View Post
Well, I apologize if i misunderstood your point, then. My point was simply that most of the people who complain about female objectification in this game seem to judge the female characters simply by their physical appearance, while completely ignoring who they are. You know, judging a book by its cover?

By contrast, this does not seem to happen with male characters, like Tryndamere, Pantheon, Ezreal or Olaf. I just do not understand why they give this courtesy to the males but not to the females.
This is a fair point. I think the main problem, at least in my opinion, is that a lot of times the female characters are often made sexy regardless of who or what they are, while male characters often fit their appearances much more, not always, but more.

For instance, take Morgana. Is there any reason she runs around in a bra all the time? Sure she's evil and a fallen angel, but there's nothing about her or her backstory that also says she's a loose woman or needs to wear something like that in combat.

Or Shyvana. She's not terrible when it comes to weird armor, but she sports a whole lot of midriff and doesn't seem to like wearing real pants. Yet she's a warrior, and a Demacian at that (notorious for being goodie-goodies), and any practical warrior on the battlefield would probably want some form of real armor. I mean, you don't see the U.S. Marine ladies running around in battlebras do you?

And lastly, I don't know much about this new lady, but look at the rest of her. She's got a heavy weapon, a heavy shield, and she rides around on a badass mount. Clearly a warrior, clearly a battle hardened veteran, clearly someone who isn't afraid to take a defensive or offensive posture depending on the circumstances. So why is she in a bikini? It doesn't really fit with the rest of her.

A lot of the female characters in LoL seem to end up forced to be sexy for no particular good reason. There's no basis for it in their backgrounds or characters. In other words, the only reason it's done is because Riot thinks that it'll make people buy the champs.