Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Jaguar

01-12-2012

I don't like it when the girls boobs almsot look like they are popping out of their clothes *cough* SONA *cough*, but I don't see whats wrong with making visiually appealing women, I mean, the guys are all visiaully appealing too, Musuclar, tall, strong faces. With the exception of Gragas, all the guys share a steriotype also, should we just start making 4 eyed inbred characters like the guy off 300 that leonidas doesn't accept, then?

GIMPY: Hidden Passive, Randomly flops around on the ground like a fish.

ViashinoWizard

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrchid View Post
*** sells. Gotta make there champion attractive even if some things remain the same.

Karma for instance was one of the most unpopular champ on release. Looks were part of it.
"Attractive" is not limited to the skinny hourglass figure that all the human female LoL champs have. Look at Street Fighter or super hero comics and you can find plenty of muscular women whose *** appeal is used to sell the product.

DustySniper

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaria View Post
Although I agree in general that women are still portrayed in an overly sexual fashion in many forms of media, video games included, I never liked this line of reasoning. I dispute that physically powerful is an inherently positive trait; to me it often connotes intellectually incapable (e.g. set Corki next to Pantheon. Obviously it's reading a book by the cover, but the whole conversation started by talking about gleaning stuff only from appearances).

In other words, I'd resonate more with responses along the lines of "Yes, it happens to male characters to some degree, too, but not nearly to the extent of female characters. Two wrongs don't make a right. It's not as big of deal for male characters because it doesn't mirror and augment widespread real life anti-male sexism."
Im a little insulted by the fact that you think being muscular essentially means your stupid. I work out 3 times a day morning PT, afternoon p90x, and night at the gym. Ive had people joke to me that my 6 pack has a 6 pack. Ive graduated with a criminal justice BA with a 4.0 from a California state university while serving. Im also in a military designed law school that lets you do it online when you cant come into class.

HTFU

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
So I was going to post something in another thread, but it got closed before I managed to. It was essentially about how the OP was disappointed that Sejuani doesn't look strong and wears (relatively) little clothing. But I felt like this was a point worth making, and so I'm just going to put it out there.

People were responding with comments like, "You're expecting realism out of a fantasy game?" and generally responded very negatively (which I found completely baffling), but in general I think they were missing the point the OP was trying to make. It's not that it's unrealistic that she's so small. Tryndamere really couldn't swing that sword with one hand like he does realistically. The problem is that this is yet another female champ that has the exact same body type as every other female champ, that body type being thin, frail, and busty. The skimpy clothes is just gravy to this insult, but seeing as she's a barbarian-type lady and riding a giant boar I think we can let that one go.

Now, I like Sejuani's design, from what I've see. She's got a unique weapon among the champs (keeping in line with one of my favorite features of LoL, that almost no champions share the same weapon), she looks good, she's got an awesome boar mount (also awesome and distinct in it's own way from the other champs). But I, similarly to the person who posted that other thread, think that she should look strong, and that's a very reasonable thing to want. She must be a strong lady to lift her flail and shield, or even ride her mount. But she doesn't look it. None of the female champs look particularly strong. But the male champs are not only more varied, but their body types support their character. Strong warrior champs are big. Makes sense, right? Casters tend to be thinner. There's a lot of variety among the male champs in terms of body type. But all the female champs are just lingerie models, regardless of the size of their weapon or the weight of their armor (I'm looking at you and your plate mail heels, Leona).

This is a problem with most games, and while I love League of Legends, they're very guilty of falling into this trend. Men are varied and appropriately proportioned, women are thin and busting out of their tops regardless of who they are or what they do. I really wish Riot would change this. Their designs are fun and interesting and varied (and only seem to get better and better, go Riot!), and it's completely within their power to change this particular aspect of character design, but they never seem to. It's hugely disappointing, and there's really no need for it.

These popped up on Kotaku just recently, and while they're not written for the same reason I'm commenting on this, they're about the same issue, and definitely worth a read.

http://kotaku.com/5868595/nerds-and-male-privilege
http://kotaku.com/5873885/nerds-and-male-privilege-part-2-deconstructing-the-arguments
I find it completely baffling that you care enough to make a long winded post about the body shape of a concept champion. Like the first thing i do when i open up the page to the sejuani art is totally check the body shape and the ****, OMG THOSE **** and that taut midriff is just glaringly disgusting!!!!!! /sarcasm

*** sells.

Wow s3x and t1ts are filtered lol.

Loc

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaguar View Post
I don't like it when the girls boobs almsot look like they are popping out of their clothes *cough* SONA *cough*, but I don't see whats wrong with making visiually appealing women, I mean, the guys are all visiaully appealing too, Musuclar, tall, strong faces. With the exception of Gragas, all the guys share a steriotype also, should we just start making 4 eyed inbred characters like the guy off 300 that leonidas doesn't accept, then?
Ain't a single thing wrong with having attractive characters, dude. Never said there was.

There's a lot of idealization going on with male characters as well, that establishes similarly unreasonably high standards on appearance and objectifies the shiznit out of them. But the point is we still get variation in the male characters while female characters often get stuck with the supermodel physique.

It's entirely possible for a woman to be attractive with 200lbs of muscle or an A-cup. It's a mystery, then, why we never see that in character design.

Captain Jaguar

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySniper View Post
Im a little insulted by the fact that you think being muscular essentially means your stupid. I work out 3 times a day morning PT, afternoon p90x, and night at the gym. Ive had people joke to me that my 6 pack has a 6 pack. Ive graduated with a criminal justice BA with a 4.0 from a California state university while serving. Im also in a military designed law school that lets you do it online when you cant come into class.
A real man here
P90X is a HELL of a workout btw, I like, tried it for 2 days and died.
Kudos

Contagioned

01-12-2012

Quote:
Why not just make him pretty? Good eyes, shapely features, stylish hair, snappy outfit?

No, I wouldn't. Not every guy has time to do his sit-ups, you know. :P

The point of Gambit and Nightcrawler is interesting, because it illustrates both that this issue of inappropriate representation (to the character) is also present in male characters and calls to attention that the same problems we have in games are just as prevalent in comics, and have been from the start.

Well, it wouldn't be that the argument "isn't relevant." That may not be the correct word to describe what you mean. If we're assuming that that is indeed the subtext to the article, then it would be that it "isn't correct." But the problem isn't that men are shallow or women aren't or whatever. Everyone is shallow and likes to look at pretty things. The problem is that in a male dominated industry (on both the side of the creators as well as the consumers), everything is dictated by this male viewpoint which isn't even correct necessarily. Male characters get variety and traits that support them, while female characters are generalized and objectified. BUT ALSO, male characters are stylized in a way that men assume is attractive and women are stylized in a way that men like to stare at while sitting at their computers at night.
They do make that type of male. It's the two types of male that are in this game. Muscular/fit, and pretty/shapely. If you're arguing that having those two types of variation in body type are enough evidence to show that women are much more objectified than men in this game, then find more evidence. That's how society is in general. There are two types of physically attractive males: the pretty boy, and the manly ones. There aren't two type of physically attractive females in society. Yes, certain people may like different girls, but it's not commonplace to like anything other than what we see shown in League of Legends. So unless society changes, every form of media will show most main characters that fit these archetypes.

Loc

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySniper View Post
While I actually agree with you on the whole "being strong doesn't make you dumb" point, and I think it's wonderful that you manage to keep yourself in good shape and as well be an accomplished scholar, it probably doesn't really help your case when you have "Im"s and "cant"s in your post. Just sayin'. :P

Captain Jaguar

01-12-2012

Quote:
Ain't a single thing wrong with having attractive characters, dude. Never said there was.

There's a lot of idealization going on with male characters as well, that establishes similarly unreasonably high standards on appearance and objectifies the shiznit out of them. But the point is we still get variation in the male characters while female characters often get stuck with the supermodel physique.

It's entirely possible for a woman to be attractive with 200lbs of muscle or an A-cup. It's a mystery, then, why we never see that in character design.
I for one, speaking for myself, Still find karma an attractive champion. Let's just say ashe wore more then the amazon arhcer clothing, if she was well covered, she wouldn't look as 'busty' or supermodelish either, I agree the clothes might be scandoulous, but None the less, I don't think the amount of sexuality behind many of the girls outfits makes ANY of the men fanbase that play this game, or in fact, any of the female fan base, think lowly of women in any way. So what is the problem?

DarkOrchid

01-12-2012

Quote:

Not that much of a mystery. Trying to create an attractive female for the masses. Easier to do so in such a way. Not that it is that big of a deal.

If you are talking about her this much, this mean she will be a big success then since she will be massively popular on release.

Karma ehh was the exact opposite reaction. PPl forgot her in two days.