Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Farsight

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
Really, that's the problem. Their purpose isn't to be eyecandy. They're not written or characterized that way in general. But when it comes to their visual design? Body types tend to default to the curvaceous and skinny, regardless of who they are.
I understand your point, and I agree with it to some extent. However, I fear a lot of people simply complain about their appearance and either forget or simply ignore their backstories and personalities. When I play with Caitlyn, Janna, Vayne or whatever other female character, just by hearing their quotes it's noticeable that they aren't simply eyecandy. The way they dress should not be that important.

Once again this does not seem to be a problem with male characters, since Tryndamere can go around shirtless without anyone complaining. Everyone knows that he is a badass barbarian king. Why can't the female characters receive a similar treatment? Why must they be simply defined by what they wear?

Contagioned

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
Gragas, Ezreal, Jax, Master Yi, Shaco, Singed, etc.
Jax is muscular, his original skin just doesn't show it.

So there's thin
Muscular
Gragas

That's so much variation, right?

PCQWLUNF

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
Well, alright. Lets talk about male idealized representations. They're made to look strong, right? Physically powerful, capable? I don't think anyone would argue that these are anything but positive traits. They're mean to emphasize elements about the character or just imply a certain level of strength behind them.
Although I agree in general that women are still portrayed in an overly sexual fashion in many forms of media, video games included, I never liked this line of reasoning. I dispute that physically powerful is an inherently positive trait; to me it often connotes intellectually incapable (e.g. set Corki next to Pantheon. Obviously it's reading a book by the cover, but the whole conversation started by talking about gleaning stuff only from appearances).

In other words, I'd resonate more with responses along the lines of "Yes, it happens to male characters to some degree, too, but not nearly to the extent of female characters. Two wrongs don't make a right. It's not as big of deal for male characters because it doesn't mirror and augment widespread real life anti-male sexism."

Sorta nit-picky when I mostly agree with you, I suppose.

Loc

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidFlux View Post
I'm sorry but really woman that are fighters look like this...

Attachment 361860

Is that more realistic?
It's not about realism, dude. But if she's a boxer, she'd look like that, yeah?

DarkOrchid

01-12-2012

*** sells. Gotta make there champion attractive even if some things remain the same.

Karma for instance was one of the most unpopular champ on release. Looks were part of it.

Juli0123

01-12-2012

This game is focused on teen boys. That why we have hot females, armored bears, vikings, void creatures... It's not hard to understand.

Robotasaurusgeth

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonsio View Post
The complaint isn't that, "We hate sexy women." The complaint is that, in a game with already heavily stylized, unrealistic characters (Find me men with the exact same proportions as Mundo, Singed and Yorick.) most of our female champs are similarly built, cookie-cutter characters when it comes to looks. In general, we have less female champs, but all the ones that fit the "adult human female" description are thin waisted, busty and generally considered attractive.

It doesn't HAVE to be this way. Is there honestly anything truly wrong with it? No. But there are plenty of players, such as myself, who would like their fantasy game characters to be a bit more... Fantastical. Seeing so many characters with that same ideal body gets dull. We only have ONE non-humanoid female champion without any human traits (Anivia.) For male characters, we have plenty of animals and monsters, and even in the humanoid characters, the range of variety is much greater. Even looking solely at the "adult human males" many of them show clear differences. (Garen vs Twisted Fate vs Graves vs Jarvan) Sadly, our female champs don't share quite that trait, and some people are disappointed that we aren't getting more Yordles, more creatures and monsters. Even when it's a basic human character, not every single woman has to have the same build. Obviously the men in this game don't, so why do the women have to be boring and samey?

Of course, this is all a matter of opinion. Some people are just fine with it. There are plenty of people in the playerbase, however, who are not and would like Riot to take notice of what they would like to see in the game.
This. Simply put, why do we have another women that looks exactly the same as all the rest? I see nothing wrong with giving her a bit more muscle. After all, that flail looks like it'd take a decent amount of work to swing around all day. And on top of that, is a slightly muscular woman all bad? I mean, I personally like when women take care of their bodies, they often look great when they aren't anorexic.

The other beef I have is....really Riot? Was it necessary to give her bikini armor? Look, yes I am I guy and yes I do love a good woman in a bikini, but this is pushing it a bit far. You guys clearly want to make her some kind of heavy looking bruiser with a heavy shield and heavy weapon riding a kick-ass mount, so why suddenly break the whole look by making her seem like she just jumped out of the tanning booth? Is it unreasonable to add like a winter coat? Or a breastplate of some kind? The bikini really doesn't work with the look you're going for. To me it just looks like something you guys threw in to pander to a young male audience, which is frankly embarrassing.

Not to mention the chafing that would occur in an outfit like that while riding a boar >_<

Loc

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Farsight View Post
I understand your point, and I agree with it to some extent. However, I fear a lot of people simply complain about their appearance and either forget or simply ignore their backstories and personalities. When I play with Caitlyn, Janna, Vayne or whatever other female character, just by hearing their quotes it's noticeable that they aren't simply eyecandy. The way they dress should not be that important.

Once again this does not seem to be a problem with male characters, since Tryndamere can go around shirtless without anyone complaining. Everyone knows that he is a badass barbarian king. Why can't the female characters receive a similar treatment? Why must they be simply defined by what they wear?
Waaasn't really talking about the way they dress. In fact, I said in my original post that I'm actually not terribly bugged by the way Sejuani dresses because it's as suited to here as, as you're arguing, dressing down is suited to Tryndamere. Makes sense for both their characters to dress a little skimpy, right?

Afflictid

01-12-2012

I feel like this thread pops up every time a female champion is released. Quit your god **** *****ing.

Sgt Mantheon

01-12-2012

What a useless thread. Seriously. People will ***** about anything. The women are fine. I like looking at them. I still respect women. I don't wanna play a fat girl character. I just wanna smack people that whine like this.