Gearing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helixes

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basoosh View Post
HP5 and MP5 are generally stats that I avoid on Dominion. Those stats are balanced for classic - you will get very little use out of them on Dominion.
Except their are champions, popular to common belief, that oom ungodly quick even on dom. Ori, for example, even with a tear, can go oom fast. She can borderline it with AA too.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

FON is great, in the HP5 aspect

defend top, wins fight with such low hp left

takes health pack, and then regen kicks in

enemy returns, and you did not need to recal, and instead push lanes a bit more to give slight more pressure and advantage

and not to mention the MS, the MR and not a very high cost

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixes View Post
Except their are champions, popular to common belief, that oom ungodly quick even on dom.
True story. Although I hate mana, I do recall many years ago going oom in Dom. Maybe Zil.

Quote:
FON is great
I agree; but if there's some way to optimize a bit better for my champ and/or playstyle, I'm interested.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

01-10-2012

As far as resisting magic damage goes, FoN is worse than Odyn's except at very low levels of base MR (i.e. you are against Fiddlesticks and he got an Abyssal).

Even then Odyn's gives you health which makes up for it, and builds off a Catalyst which is a generally better starting item than Regrowth Pendants or Nega Cloaks.

However, if you have the inventory space, both items are worse than simply using the gold on a Giant Belt and two Nega Cloaks instead (which you could then later build into better items). You need over 200 base MR for an Odyn's to be superior to this setup. Of course Odyn's has the advantage of being one item, but if you were going to build core items off these three items anyway...

This is true for a lot of top end items actually (the ones not involving BFSword or NLRod anyway), as long as you're willing to use more inventory space, you're generally better off filling your inventory with more components and holding off on completing recipes.

It's up to you to figure out if a recipe is really worth the gold cost to complete it, or if you're willing to burn inventory space to maximize your stats.

brainlizard

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH View Post
<snipped good stuff to keep this shorter. Go read it >

Personally, the only champion type that should not rush a full inventory is AP carry (and only because they really want a Deathcap to amplify everything else they get) and CDR heavy builds (since you can only get so much CDR with just the boots and kindlegem, you have to finish recipes at some point to hit 40%).
Very good stuff in this post. You're right on about veil vs. FoN. Warms my heart to see someone that understands the math (10% redux ~= first 10 points of MR, but much better than points 90-100).

As far as CDR goes, I really like to go 9/21/0 on all my champs, so that I can get 8-12 CDR from masteries and that excellent defense tree. So for phys champs, it's usually 8 CDR from masteries, 7 CDR from runes, and 25 from items (brut + ionian, typically). For magic champs, it's 12 CDR from masters, 15 from runes, and 15 from ionian boots. If I really have to have sorc, I'll go DFG (Note: I overshoot the cap a bit on these champs since a good portion of the CDR is scaling).

Also, I rarely build a deathcap on Dom, simply because I almost never build as an AP carry. CDR + lichbane or even trinity with tankiness is often a stronger overall build. Champs like Ahri and Fizz are definitely more of the CDR + sheen types, and even Kass is just as good building CDR + defense in order to chain silences + AOE slows (plus the rift stacks). When you're in botlane, you'll usually want CDR, defense, and vamp so you can sustain your push like mad and win 1v1s (vamp + defense is huge in 1v1s). Even LeBlanc is usually going to be Sorc, Guise, and DFG before cap (though I'll usually get part of the cap before I finish DFG).

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-10-2012

Quote:
As far as resisting magic damage goes, FoN is worse than Odyn's except at very low levels of base MR (i.e. you are against Fiddlesticks and he got an Abyssal).
Ah, never noticed it reduced damage by 10%. I use mana champs so rarely that I haven't paid enough attention to items with +mana.

Quote:
Even then Odyn's gives you health which makes up for it, and builds off a Catalyst which is a generally better starting item than Regrowth Pendants or Nega Cloaks.
Eh, for someone without mana, it's not quite the same. I generally get my health from TF, Phage, FM and so on. Still, health is never useless.

Quote:
if you have the inventory space, both items are worse than simply using the gold on a Giant Belt and two Nega Cloaks instead
I'll look into that, though I'm a huge fan of MS. That's one of the reasons FoN is so pleasing to me.

Quote:
This is true for a lot of top end items actually...you're generally better off filling your inventory with more components and holding off on completing recipes.
Heard this, but haven't researched it enough yet.

Thanks for response.

RealWolf M

01-10-2012

Just want to specify that FoN is not gold efficient in Dom (In SR its different).

The other thing is that it doesn't mean FoN is bad, just that you should always look at whether or not its worth it.

Another one that is INCREDIBLY common is Sunfire Cape.

That item is terrible in efficiency, it is better for you to simply have a giants belt + chain vest and not upgrade it, just so much smarter use of your gold.

That being said, a good point was said by Golly, that the aura is useful for stopping caps, you don't need to auto attack just get into aura range. So it DOES have its uses, and acceptable reasons to upgrade. Just don't upgrade it because its there.

Some of the best items are the mid tier items, the 2k ish items, they give you great efficiency, useful effects, and let you get stronger sooner aswell. Things like brutaliser, hexdrinker, aegis of the legion, wardens mail, catalyst. Cheap and effective, sometimes with upgrades you can get later, but things you can use to get stronger earlier, rather than staying much weaker saving for some item like IE