Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Olyps

12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingbythebook View Post
This is a form of ad hominem, not an arguement
actually it's a rhetorical question with the insinuation of 'if you think my game design is bad then why are you playing it?' I think it makes a very simple and adequate argument for the amount of discussion he put into previously explaining his design priorities.

You're obviously too stupid to know what an ad hominem is

^ that's an ad hominem. Attacked your character unnecessarily to discredit you. But I didn't mean it It's a very poor arguing tool but popular for some reason unfortunately.

NoIntestines

12-05-2011

But knowing that you keep these and similar ideas in mind makes it harder for me to justify raging on forums!

Man, talk about Burden of Knowledge.

Evěl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2011

tl;dr

EdLemon

12-07-2011

nice thread i love reading this stuff. one question though why the hell did you guys make singed????!? he's like one of the worst characters to play against. as soon as you see his face its like oh **** off. there is like no satisfaction to lane against him except killing him. poison, slow goo, super long ghost and omg fling. i don't even find him fun. have you ever seen 2 singed solo top? the most painful thing ever lol such pathetic fights. two guys runnin round farting and throwing eachother around O.o

EdLemon

12-08-2011

also on the topic of balance i think riot's done a pretty decent job while keeping it a fun game. a new hero every two weeks doesn't exactly help which is why ive come to accept it overall as a non-competitive game. moba's are i imagine incredibly tough to balance and i think the its really the genre that's flawed in the competitive sense. the performance of players is far too volatile for how important it is during the game. Comparing it to say a sports game like soccer, if you screw up in LoL, the problems persist and usually snowball rather than the resets you have off of scoring a goal. The only resets are when you have a format like best 2 of 3 and still then just the sheer combinations of hero matchups mean 2-3 games doesn't represent your true skill.

weretybe

12-08-2011

I feel like the randomness of other players' skills are a factor in the game. You can;t control them, but bad players don't always equal insta-lose. My friend and I carry for our other noob friends all the time and still manage to win.

Hakarl

12-08-2011

Def props to zileas for taking the time to put this together, interesting read.

Dynamic Goat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2011

hey Zileas, just wondering if you have seen this thread yet. Were over 10,000 on yes for the spider queen to be added into the game. You said yourself that you wouldn't develop a champion just to please one person. But now we have over 10,000 people. Please take into consideration the spider queen.

neuromancer92

01-01-2012

That Burden of Knowledge thing is interesting... I think its one to be careful with, it seems as though Riot has become more and more gun-shy about any complex abilities, however fun they might be.

I could be wrong though, Viktor took me hugely by surprise the first time I played him. Laser line, crazy anti-grav thing, nuke cloud chasing my head. Death recap: "Look at his rod to see what core he is using"... Core? wtf? I actually went and read LoL wiki before i revived. Still, he seems rather innovative, and I've enjoyed playing him since. Keep up the creativity over simplicity.

Tsukuyomu

01-01-2012

neuromancer= necro...? T_T