Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whichi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcie McLean View Post
But you have every intention of leaving it horribly gimped, right? I mean, when it comes to improving different features of the game, this one gets shafted just as hard as the vs AI, correct? I think we need a solid month of no new champs and just a massive overhaul of the interface, gameplay and camera mechanics, etc. Sure having a new champ every 2 weeks is great (as imbalanced as they seem to be released due to the rush) but I would love this game to have more polish and more options!

-Arcie
wow... Is the community really this... uh...

Anyway...

You do realise riot isnt going to send champion designers to work on the Ui...

It doesnt matter weather or not They're releasing champions that's not going to change ****..

People use this as an excuse as to why some stuff doesn't get done and it's incredibly bad....

Im sorry but not all things in a game like LoL is going to be done in even a month's time.. it's not that easy..

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2011
18 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelanis View Post
Its not that its more things to manage (though admittedly it is) its that you can potentially miss an opportunity to even attempt a skill-shot, simply because you were repositioning the camera. Since the skill-shot will go where you cursor indicates, you physically can't move/skill-shot/camera pan without being locked-on. Since the camera will move with your champion.
One of our designers rebinds the camera pan keys to WASD for similar reasons. If using the cursor to pan the camera is detrimental to positioning your cursor for skill shots/movement in your playstyle, you might consider this alternative control scheme with unlocked camera.

Jaawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

I have a suggestion I haven't seen in here:

In free-camera mode, spacebar centers the camera, but if you hold spacebar down, it creates the same experience as locked-camera.

My suggestion is that when the player has manually toggled locked-camera ON, the behavior of spacebar should change. It should adjust the camera to an alternate angle. So, when you toggle camera lock on, it should adjust the screen angle slightly to compensate for ONE of the viewing limitations (such as the HUD) by default. Pressing space should then alter the view to compensate for the OTHER viewing limitation case by switching the camera angle smoothly to another one.

The best implementation for me personally would be to tilt the camera very slightly downward (toward the virtual ground of the playing field) thereby letting the player see slightly further in the direction toward the top of their screen. Then, when they hold spacebar, the camera should tilt up, off the playing surface exposing more of the field toward the bottom of their screen. The "focus" of the camera should remain on the player's champion and by "tilting" I mean in an arcing fashion. In real life this would result in the camera maintaining the same exact distance from its focus and only changing its angle.

An alternative would be to have a spacebar press toggle between the two views rather than having to hold it down, personally I would like to hold it down though and be able to swap which view is the default.

Icelanis

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
One of our designers rebinds the camera pan keys to WASD for similar reasons. If using the cursor to pan the camera is detrimental to positioning your cursor for skill shots/movement in your playstyle, you might consider this alternative control scheme with unlocked camera.
I'll try something like this tonight. Can you say how quickly/smoothly the camera moves with keys? as compared to the "herky-jerky" movements of cursor panning?

gluecks

Emissary of the League

12-13-2011

Cameralock isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've been a plat player in both Season 1 & 2 so far, and I have the camera locked pretty much all the time

On that note, here's yet again the same question I've been asking and awaiting a positive answer for more than the past 2 years:
When will you finally bring back the 180 camera flip for when you're on purple team? I know it existed back early closed beta days as the default game.cfg indicated with "FlipCameraOnChaosSide=0" for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
HUD Changes
  • New option to flip the camera when you play on chaos side. Esc->More Options->Flip Camera
Then it was randomly removed again due to optiziming performance (reduced polygons on the backside of objects).

What's the current state of it? I'm 100% I'm not the only who goes like "ffs purple team and I'm botlane...great.." 50% of my games for the past 2 years.
It's the most disappointing missing "quality of life change" that is in the game for nearly 2.5 years already

Darksoldja

Recruiter

12-13-2011

OK I too am a screen lo k player.But when I go to use a skill shot like ashes ultimate I just unlock aim shoot and lock back. The problem I have with playing unlocked is that the only way to move the screen is to use your mouse oor the arrow keys. Now my left hand is all ways on my ability keys so that's a no can do.for free. Camera scrolling with arrow keys and as for mouse I feel that my mouse willow never be where I need it be because its now.always going to be at the edge of the screen so I can scroll around.

Your fellow Summoner

Arcie McLean

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@Arcie, you might want to dial down the hyperbole a little bit. As a general rule, when threads aren't constructive or informative anymore I stop replying. I've stated more than once that I'd like to improve the locked camera experience, but there are higher value UI improvements that we're doing instead right now. We already have people gathering stats so we can see if we should raise the priority. I can't give you any more of a commitment than that, I don't just decide to do features in the game and have them happen!

While I understand your frustration that we are not doing seemingly simple fixes for a problem that affects you greatly, we have an incredible number of things that we want to do to improve our player's experience. We are constantly evaluating how big an improvement any given feature is to our players overall vs. the amount of effort we put in and try to maximize the amount of improvement we release. Unfortunately our priorities and yours as an individual player will not always line up.
But, read the posts man! It's not just my own individual priority. Fixing the imbalance, not just for locked players but for unlocked players as well, is something almost every player here has been complaining about for what sounds like YEARS! Yes, this and the locked camera limitations are a bit of a crusade for myself because it effects me and a lot of people I play with, but I am not alone here. There are a lot of suggestions on how to fix both of these problems and I haven't seen a lot of response on the issue. It's funny how the only place we seem to be able to get a response is in a thread about someone wanting to seemingly remove camera lock. What about the dozen or so other threads on this same issue that have received no official attention? These are major issues. I totally agree with the guy who said he has seen a LOT of people leave due to the purple/blue imbalance. If nothing else, that needs to be resolved. Fix the camera issues after that is taken care of.

-Arcie

IS1da2dc9f5cf9cc

01-01-2012

Maybe a camera spin option? and a little extra zoom out?

Astiris

01-02-2012

Screen lock definitly has pros and cons, but overall more cons. Maybe the ability to zoom out a little bit further would help a few people. Nothing crazy, because obviously Riot would still want to make landing some of the skill shots like Ashes Ult a bit more challenging. There is a reason why some of those ults/abilities are so strong, its beacuse they are hard to hit. Changing anything too much would cause them to have to tweet the ability as well.

PrototypeAlpha

01-14-2012

would it be possible to lock the screen so that your champ stays in the same relative location, that way when your running down from purple side you can keep your champ on the top of your screen so its easier to land skill shots going in the downward direction.

its not going to help players learn to use free camera and you may want limit how far off center the camera can be locked so that the summoner doesn't make it hard for them to run back up their lane in case they get dived.

just my rough idea ( i tend to have my camera locked unless i find myself on purple) i bound my space bar to toggle between lock and free roam so i don't have to hold it down to keep it centered and i can quickly detach if i want a closer look at my team or if i have to teleport to a minion/ward

Edit: or have an option to leash your free cam so that your champ remains on screen as a nice way to get them use to the screen shifting but not so much that their camera ends up in the other base or far from a fight.