Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aniello

12-09-2011

Where is the Design forum?

boourns

UI Designer

12-09-2011
14 of 21 Riot Posts

Champion or item feedback would have a better change of an answer. Or do an @morello in general.

Ark Angel HFB

12-09-2011

why not remove the camera lock option and just keep the hold space to center option...

Ark Angel HFB

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verosce View Post
I forced myself to play with the spacebar instead of toggling lock and unlock. It'd be nice if that did show up in the tutorial.

(if anyone doesn't know, holding spacebar locks the camera, but releasing it will immediately unlock the camera)
This should be the only camera lock in the game... and the tutorial should force new player to move the camera when it's unlocked...

like how Halo one had that look at so and so light when it lights up...

just to get people to know how to do it.

TF2 did this also.

Eggdale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

BLC had a nice system of a "smart" lock; It followed your cursor and your champion, dragging your camera out away from your champion the farther your cursor was from it. This kept your champion close to the camera center, but also allowed you to look at the things you needed to that were off-camera.

boourns

UI Designer

12-09-2011
15 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Mad Now View Post
BLC had a nice system of a "smart" lock; It followed your cursor and your champion, dragging your camera out away from your champion the farther your cursor was from it. This kept your champion close to the camera center, but also allowed you to look at the things you needed to that were off-camera.
This would be interesting to experiment with, could be really disorienting if done wrong and what would happen if you try to move outside the range of view? I guess maybe it just stops you... Like this better than the center of mass idea because it's more player controlled

Gbuss

12-09-2011

Since I am a lock-on character player, this topic interests me and compels me to give my 2 cents.

The reason mainly that I screen lock on my character is that it is something less to manage, I find myself losing my character in team fights if I am not locked on, I went through 25 levels before seeing the need to *sometimes* have it unlocked, and I run out of space to click farther because what I need to click is on the edge of the screen and I don't have the time (or don't think I do) to move the camera farther to on top of my target.

I don't quite see why zooming out would be a problem, seeing as the fog of war will still limit your vision, and the overall viewable area won't be that much different (if at all) for larger screens with bigger aspect ratios. (I've been reading the Riot posts, and it's kind of stupid imo to say in one post that it most likely won't happen because of the aspect ratios, and then in a different post saying that it isn't your call...)

I also don't see why if it is a known problem that Purple side has a disadvantage (even if you are locked or unlocked overall because of the isometric view that is given that favors a view to the top overall) that they don't work on fixing the UI...

If it would be a problem if you fixed parts of the UI in certain spots, it would be smart to make it so that more of the UI was configurable and movable to the individuals desires.
This is my gripe about LOL, is that there seems to be very little in the way of in game options that is able to be tweaked to what the individual wants. Like moving around the different parts of the UI (even turning them off like the character portrait if wanted)

End Rant/whatever this was :P

BRAVEYpl0x

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
This would be interesting to experiment with, could be really disorienting if done wrong and what would happen if you try to move outside the range of view? I guess maybe it just stops you... Like this better than the center of mass idea because it's more player controlled
I played BLC as well and their camera system was actually quite intuitive after a few games. One potential problem with porting this system to LoL is that kiting with this system can get wierd. In Bloodline, the player moves with wasd, so running south but aiming north was totally possible and gave vision in the direction of your target.

In LoL however, one must continuously click-move forward while clicking-attacking backwards. That constant and drastic mouse movement would cause some serious screen wiggle and make it hard to aim quickly.

Ðark Samus

12-10-2011

Please don't remove the camera toggle completely, I have it bound to mouse3 to easily lock to myself for brief moments where camera panning would distract me. By all means introduce something else to help newer players avoid being dependent on it, but do not remove the lock toggle functionality altogether.

NecronisXI

12-10-2011

Increase zoom so that it covers all visible range? I mean really, this isn't that hard of a fix. For people who don't want to be zoomed out more, zoom in to normal range. And if Riot wants to make the excuse that having less camera view range adds to gameplay, I say to them that its an unwanted part of gameplay. MANY people would greatly benefit from being able to use locked camera and not have to sacrifice view. Plus, I find that not having to worry about spazzing to keep your camera on your champ is a much more enjoyable way to play. Purely my own opinion though, feel free to disagree.