Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

12-08-2011
10 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scram Racecar View Post
So does this mean that a colorblind mode is currently in the works? I hope so..
Yes, it's been talked about on the forum by another red so I can confirm that much. No release date yet, but we're working hard on it.

boourns

UI Designer

12-08-2011
11 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl SGM View Post
it's already the case. People with 16:9 monitor can see more stuff than people with 4:3.
Correct, and that is unavoidable (similar with Eyefinity). However my understanding is that the game designers want to minimize the advantage in other cases. Also 16:9/16:10 is a pretty common aspect ratio now.

Cauldrath

12-08-2011

What I never understand about 16:9 versus 4:3 is why you can't keep the total area shown the same. Sure, the 16:9 is wider, relatively, but the 4:3 is taller. 4:3 should be zoomed out a little more so the same amount of area is shown. Frankly, I think 4:3 is superior for games (except maybe FPS?) and would like to see if make a comeback. I'd put up with black bars to be able to see more above and below me in a game like this where every direction is equally important.

cmdrdeadman

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I wish I saw an easy answer to this, but it seems like what people really want is some kind of view that follows their champion and also keeps the part of the action they're interested on screen as well. That's pretty hard to get right since we can't read your intentions.
I was reading this thread, and came across your message, and I realized I do have a solution to this that I have implemented before and it worked surprisingly well. It is very simple for an assisted mode, and while I would probably not use it since I like a free camera; it might actually be very good.

The idea is to use a center of mass approach. My implementation involved keeping things in frame around objects in 3d space, so the camera was controllable, but the focus of the camera followed the action. Basically, attach the camera to the target champion. Now locate all the other champions which are also on the screen (or a certain distance from target champion if it is easier), and find the "center of mass" of those champions (just average out their positions), and this is the new location you want the camera to look at. As champions come in and out of frame, the result will jump, so you really want to use a spring of some sort so the target point can be jumpy, but the camera will be smooth.

cmdrdeadman

12-08-2011

I should mention that using a center of mass analogy, you could potentially incorporate minion locations into the assisted camera view, just at a much lower "weight" than a champion. Then if you are standing next to a whole mess of minions, they will be deemed as interesting and the camera will nudge its way in that direction. And of course you would want to make the current player's champion contain much more "mass" than any other.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldrath View Post
What I never understand about 16:9 versus 4:3 is why you can't keep the total area shown the same. Sure, the 16:9 is wider, relatively, but the 4:3 is taller. 4:3 should be zoomed out a little more so the same amount of area is shown. Frankly, I think 4:3 is superior for games (except maybe FPS?) and would like to see if make a comeback. I'd put up with black bars to be able to see more above and below me in a game like this where every direction is equally important.
Widescreen is a more natural viewing format that your eyes can read more easily as your eyes' area of accurate perception is wider than it is tall (Think, even if you want to look at two objects at the same time to compare them you almost always put them side by side naturally, you don't put one on top of the other because then it's harder to accurately perceive both at the same time.

Widescreens are the superior choice for looking at, the idea of using a 4:3 of the same surface area for looking at is actually kind of laughable

Rigglethor

12-08-2011

I used a locked camera 24/7 until around level 20, when i realized how much of a handicap it was.

But it only took me 5 or so games forcing myself to play unlocked on purple team to get used to it, and now i cant stand to play with a locked camera. Guess some people adapt differently 0.0

Aniello

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Correct, and that is unavoidable (similar with Eyefinity). However my understanding is that the game designers want to minimize the advantage in other cases. Also 16:9/16:10 is a pretty common aspect ratio now.
There is a thing called Fog of War for a reason.

Not letting u zooming more for your reason I find it... meh...

Then Explain me why such difference here with camera Zooming:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1086337

boourns

UI Designer

12-09-2011
12 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdeadman View Post
I was reading this thread, and came across your message, and I realized I do have a solution to this that I have implemented before and it worked surprisingly well. It is very simple for an assisted mode, and while I would probably not use it since I like a free camera; it might actually be very good.

The idea is to use a center of mass approach. My implementation involved keeping things in frame around objects in 3d space, so the camera was controllable, but the focus of the camera followed the action. Basically, attach the camera to the target champion. Now locate all the other champions which are also on the screen (or a certain distance from target champion if it is easier), and find the "center of mass" of those champions (just average out their positions), and this is the new location you want the camera to look at. As champions come in and out of frame, the result will jump, so you really want to use a spring of some sort so the target point can be jumpy, but the camera will be smooth.
Interesting idea! Simple enough concept, but there are a lot of details to get right. This is much more complicated than other solutions even in basic execution though. All the edge cases of handling camera movement as things go in and out of range, especially in fluid team fights, would be very tough to get right. How do you strike the right balance between moving to keep the action in frame, without being too abrupt? I don't think it is as simple as a spring/damping on camera movement. I think we would get better bang for our buck looking at improved free camera controls.

boourns

UI Designer

12-09-2011
13 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniello View Post
There is a thing called Fog of War for a reason.

Not letting u zooming more for your reason I find it... meh...

Then Explain me why such difference here with camera Zooming:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1086337
Feel free to post in general or one of the design forums, the reasons behind this are outside my area of expertise, unfortunately.