Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vudugambit

11-24-2011

When I ran through the tutorial 27 levels ago, I was exposed to both camera lock and camera-unlock play styles. However, I found playing with the camera locked proved easier and more convenient for me and continued to do so as I leveled. However, this was a mistake. As I came across more and more skilled players, it became more and more difficult to play efficiently with a locked camera. But that was how I learned and grew and was not taught to play any other way. It's impossible to position Lux's Ultimate without unlocking the camera. Not being used to this, I'll be slow with my aim and will surely die from standing still for too long while in a team fight. The same goes for Ezreal, Ashe, Caitlyn, and Kog'Maw. All have long ranged abilties and, playing with a fixed camera is little more than a handicap.

Now I'm at a stage that I must re-learn how to play the game. I've since made a new account so that I could practice with noobies as a noobie without bringing the performance of my team down.

It's too late for me. I have no choice but to relearn. But for other new players, they should be forced to learn how to play with an unlocked screen. And if it can be done, I feel the camera lock feature should be taken out completely or, at the very least, be changed into a centering button to help you find your character and nothing more.

Thanks for reading.

Moondiviner

11-25-2011

You're.. not being serious, are you? Not about the first part, but the second part.

I, too, was a screen-lock addict. It seemed more convenient. Less to worry about with the screen locked. Then I discovered the need to unlock when aiming some skill shots, and most notably, Ashe's ultimate (I didn't even know it was global until a friend told me).

It doesn't take long, three games and you'll already be less aware you're doing it. It won't be easier yet but.. its a learning thing, yanno. Just go into Co-Op and play with your screen unlocked until you get the feel for it. At least that way, you still get IP/exp on your account..

Vudugambit

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinferno View Post
You're.. not being serious, are you? Not about the first part, but the second part.

I, too, was a screen-lock addict. It seemed more convenient. Less to worry about with the screen locked. Then I discovered the need to unlock when aiming some skill shots, and most notably, Ashe's ultimate (I didn't even know it was global until a friend told me).

It doesn't take long, three games and you'll already be less aware you're doing it. It won't be easier yet but.. its a learning thing, yanno. Just go into Co-Op and play with your screen unlocked until you get the feel for it. At least that way, you still get IP/exp on your account..
Problem is, it's been over a week and I still struggle. If I continue to play in my current account, I'd only drag the team down by feeding because, if I'm not centered, I don't know where I am and I am slow to react. This makes me an easy target. I don't know how you managed to get use to it so fast, but I haven't been able to use the unlock while fighting.

├čloodwi11

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

Just a small note that may help, you can use the Space Bar to center your camera onto your champion and as long as you hold it, it keeps the camera locked onto your champion as well

boourns

UI Designer

11-28-2011
1 of 21 Riot Posts

Personally, I agree, I think we do a disservice to new players by letting them use camera locked as a default. It hinders them greatly for many champion (i.e. anyone with a skillshot and heavily so for long ranged ones).

P2Mc28

11-28-2011

Yea... I've been having a lot of difficulty with this as well. Took me a while to understand, since I'd played a lot of Starcraft. Turns out I go into a Diablo mindset with LoL, and being centered just... makes sense.

Does kinda make me wish there was never a forced-center option to begin with to prevent the bad habit before it started.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2011

Yeah I had a very strong RTS background and unlocked mine right away...

Though relearning to use skills with smartcast was an interesting experience

Kyzene

11-28-2011

Gotta say, that as someone who hasn't played any kind of RTS before LoL, that locked camera is a godsend for me. I cannot play with the camera unlocked, and trying to do so makes skill shots, last hitting, and just about everything else impossible. I don't feel that locked camera has effected my games in any kind of negative way, and generally do pretty well on most champs. I don't think I would have stuck with the game if I had to play unlocked, and it was actually one of the first questions I asked a friend who asked me to play. If I ever need to see further than the screen lets me, I just click+drag on the map, and that has worked just fine for me so far.

Iekk

11-28-2011

have you seen Dyrus

IS1429332aa9b633

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Personally, I agree, I think we do a disservice to new players by letting them use camera locked as a default. It hinders them greatly for many champion (i.e. anyone with a skillshot and heavily so for long ranged ones).
well... I have a 4:3 screen and I see less than a 16:9.
I wouldn't use the lockscreen if I could zoom out more...

1234511 ... 15