Ionic spark needs a buff.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nyttyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

See title. I literally cannot find a use for it, and I have not seen it used once.

Phourc

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
I think the item bares some re-evaluation, definitely. It's a fun item when at the right power, I just think the numbers are a little off now. Thanks for bringing it up!
It's on the 'list' for some love. Who knows when it'll actually happen now.

The intended use for it is to give anything pushing power, it actually works somewhat decent if you're a terrible farmer in bottom.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

The spark costs 2300g, and provides 1750 worth of stats, plus the damage effect.

In comparison, a Sword of the Divine costs 1970g and provides 1500g worth of AD, plus the damage effect, and the clickey.

The damage effect is equivalent to 25 damage onhit, which is comparable to 25 AD (value of 1000g)...BUT ONLY for those without AD scaling or any crit in their build since it is magical onhit damage.

So, spark effectively gives 2750g stats for 2300g.
SotD gives 2500g of stats for 1970 (plus the clickey which is maybe worth 600 gold)

The big question is... how much do we value the multi-hit aspect of Spark relative to SotD's 1 hit?

Honestly it is pretty worthless. Foes are rarely that clumped up so you really only wind up damaging some enemy creeps around you a bit.
Best case scenario is that you interrupt a cap with the chain effect.

But the damage amount is LOW. 25 damage per hit statistically. It turns a bad pusher into a ...still bad pusher. 25 extra damage, even spread out over 2 or 3 other creeps still isn't much.

So yeah... I would expect it to be a bit stronger.

Darmival

11-07-2011

it doesnt really need a buff so much as a price reduction. its too costly for its effect.

Phourc

11-07-2011

The comparison between Spark and SotD always makes me sad because Sword usually comes out a little ahead and everyone still thinks it's garbage, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
But the damage amount is LOW. 25 damage per hit statistically. It turns a bad pusher into a ...still bad pusher. 25 extra damage, even spread out over 2 or 3 other creeps still isn't much.
Ish.

It gives attackspeed which helps both get more autoattacks to kill creep faster and get more procs, so that's a good part of it.

The real problem I had with it is the dominion minions actually have a decent bit of magic resist, so the bolt only does 75 damage. Still, chaining between all 4 in a wave means an extra 75 x 4 = 300 bonus damage every four hits, which for pushing power is not bad at all.

FDru

11-07-2011

It's **** compared to Wit's End, much more expensive and really only useful for pushing. Pushing is useful but not very often and definitely not enough for an item slot.

Needs buffed or needs to be cheaper.

brb getting sued

11-07-2011

Ionic Spark
Recurve Bow + Ruby Crystal + Ruby Crystal + 850g
+420 Health
+50% Attack Speed
UNIQUE Passive: Ionic Spark gains one charge whenever you attack (max 6 charges). When Ionic Spark has 3 charges, your next basic attack releases a chain lightning, dealing 130 magic damage to up to 4 nearby targets. This effect has 65% Magic Penetration.
UNIQUE Active: Ionic Spark gains 3 charges. 40 second cooldown.

100 damage to four targets is not nearly enough to significantly push a minion wave (Kayle laughs at you as she does 120+ per swing to an entire minion wave - and that's just the splash damage). 130 sounds a bit better.

65% Magic Penetration sounds like a lot, but consider that it's only affecting this 130 damage lightning bolt. It's about the same as making it deal 200 damage to champions and 140ish to minions, but it's much simpler to just say it does 130 damage and has this Magic Penetration.

i'm sure anyone who has played guild wars will agree with me when i say i think of penetration when i think of lightning damage (speaking of which, buff kennen)

Personally I feel like Ionic Spark as-is can't be useful as a pushing tool if it's going to deal equal damage to champs and minions. Either the item deals way too much damage and gets nerfed because it's eating champs alive, or it doesn't deal enough and isn't good at killing either minions or champs (like it is now).

The higher cost of the item is necessary because the damage it deals to champs can be overwhelming at lower levels. The stats are increased to compensate (420 huehuehuehue) and makes it closer to an end-game level item.

The charge system makes it easier to keep track of whether you have a proc ready to go or not. The active puts more control of the proc in the user's hands, and should hopefully make one feel like they don't need to constantly be at the minions and preparing procs to keep Ionic Spark useful vs champions.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

BigDaddyRelish

11-07-2011

Make the lightning proc every 3rd hit.

Bam. Way better item.

Noble Prince

11-07-2011

It's amazing on twitch. His ult procs it every hit if you hit 4 targets.