Ultimate Olaf Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

Quote:
i have yet to try youmuus on him usually build starks then bloodthirster for crazy lifesteal, can go from half to full in a few secs with W.
That is extremely strong in toe to toe encounters, insanely strong actually. However toe to toe fights are far more rare than the other types of fighting that take place, in particular chasing down the ranged squishies.

Quote:
Good. Although I didn't notice you mentioning how much Exhaust ruins you. Apparently the developers do not consider blind a disable, so you are NOT immune to it. Watch out for enemy Teemos and people who carry exhaust. When trying to stay alive at low HP, exhaust makes you cry (especially because you rely on life steal to keep you up). In this situation, I recommend Guardian Angel, so they burn exhaust on you then you can come back and kill them or just plain running away.

Also maxing E first is not a terribly bad idea. It is all about who you lane with and are against. Against 2 melee heroes its great because you don't have to get within hitting range to do some serious damage to them. This is especially effective against people with dodge or squishy melee carries without much of a heal. Add someone with a heal in your lane and it is even sweeter.
Very good point about exhaust, ill be sure to add that to the guide soon.

E can be strong in lane under the right circumstances for sure. However you a pay a big cost for it by sacrificing one of his other abilities, and it only helps you for lane harassment really. A little extra harassment in lane I dont think is worth sacrificing potential kills in lane and olafs entire midgame.

ChasmGasm

06-18-2010

I like to get doran's shield, boots, then aegis first, then stark's. Aegis is cool because you're so reliant on your team and the extra little survivability let's you stay at low health a little longer and actually survive.

Damn Jayced God

06-19-2010

Okay so I got Olaf and I have had no clue how to play him. This guide is amazing, thank you so much. I was losing more than half my games as Olaf, but the last two I played with this I won. I've had 9 or 10 dragon kills in those two games plus 11 kills, 15 assists, and only 2 deaths. But one of those games was over in 25 minutes and the other one was over in like 35. This guide pretty much describes perfectly how to play him.

EDIT : Also, Ghost and Smite seem to be the best if you're jungling. Because Smite is an obvious one and allows you to pick up some health if you're low by using it in conjunction with W. Then Ghost along with R makes it almost impossible to kill you if you need to run away. You can't be stunned, slowed, or disabled, you take reduced damage, and you're moving way faster. Those are my preferences, but I guess you could use other spells. I feel like Cleanse is a little superfluous with R, similar to Merc Treads. That's my opinion, but great guide.

And if you're fighting spell casters like Ryze or Annie, I like Wits End for end game. If you use it with your R then they can't stun or cage you, then you get up next to them and beat them so fast that by the time R wears off, their mana has dropped as fast as their health, and by the time that they even have a chance to cast anything at you, they're dead. But I've only had one game where it got to go that late that I already had Mallet, Starks, and Ghostblade.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2010

You can also start at Wraiths. Smite the big one, the little ones are easy with Sceptor + VS.

Edit: Also, if you can't do golem at level 2-3 because you got Vamp Sceptor and got a bad jungle combo, go to enemy's jungle and kill some creeps until you hit 4. Level 2 in VS makes it MUCH easier to down Golem.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-22-2010

Quote:
I feel like Cleanse is a little superfluous with R, similar to Merc Treads. That's my opinion, but great guide.
Cleanse will only ever be taken if you lane. Its still a very useful spell because R only lasts for so long. After its down you are back to being very vulnerable to CC effects. I like to use ghostblade + R to start with, then save ghost for after they drop if its needed. If you lane and have cleanse to back up your ghost, its like having a second R+ghostblade almost.

Quote:
And if you're fighting spell casters like Ryze or Annie, I like Wits End for end game.
Atmas will always be better after your first 3 items than a wits end will be, as will a bloodthirstier or GA. Also wits end is a weird item because I feel its actually stronger on champions with low mana pools rather than high. Taking away say poppys mana pool means she cant Q or speed up, shes a sitting duck that does no damage. Overall though im just not really a fan of that item.

Quote:
You can also start at Wraiths. Smite the big one, the little ones are easy with Sceptor + VS.
They key to starting at blue rune or at the small camp by red rune is the respawn timers. You can basically snag the camps a second time almost right after they respawn. If you do wraiths first its a less efficient way of doing the jungle because it increases travel time and throws timers off a bit. Thats not to say it cant work, but I feel the other 2 options are better.

Vychoow

06-22-2010

Just red your guide, u get thumb up for it No wonder, since its very similar to mine at EU forums:
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ead.php?t=9071
Your might be even more detailed and with jungling, so i m glad i ran into it. I ll try with some ajustments for sure.

And i m glad we agree in most points. But i cant agree with Starks Favor. Imo its best at support champions, and since your objective is to get to enemys carry, you will be far away from your team,chasing that Ashe, and the rest of your team wont benefit from it. Same for pushing lanes alone. Its just better someone else have it, and Olaf should go with maladys (cheaper and great 1v1) Executioners(still cheaper and good vs healers)or Bloodrazor.

Damn Jayced God

06-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
Cleanse will only ever be taken if you lane. Its still a very useful spell because R only lasts for so long. After its down you are back to being very vulnerable to CC effects. I like to use ghostblade + R to start with, then save ghost for after they drop if its needed. If you lane and have cleanse to back up your ghost, its like having a second R+ghostblade almost.

Atmas will always be better after your first 3 items than a wits end will be, as will a bloodthirstier or GA. Also wits end is a weird item because I feel its actually stronger on champions with low mana pools rather than high. Taking away say poppys mana pool means she cant Q or speed up, shes a sitting duck that does no damage. Overall though im just not really a fan of that item.
I understand what you're saying about Cleanse, and you do have some very good points. But I really only jungle with Olaf after reading this, so none of them apply to me :P.

I tried Atmas Impaler and I've found that it is far better, haha. I feel like Wits End doesn't really fit into this game well. I think we need a champion who is all about stealing other people's mana, like Magina from Dota.

Miltus

06-25-2010

I think Stark's is a cool item, but how necessary is it? Ghostblade, runes, passive from ulti penetrate 72 Armor (+6 if you go offense mastery), which is enough to reduce armor of most champs to zero, as squishies aren't known for stacking armor items.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vychoow View Post
Olaf should go with maladys
Lol, that statement makes your whole argument invalid.

Magariz

06-28-2010

I would love to add that a segment on a tank olaf needs to be done as well. A strat I have used with great sucess employs this. What I do is build him as a tank, grabbing all 3 abils by lvl 3 and then maxing out vicious strikes asap, putting points into undertow when I cant put one into vicious strikes. By lvl 4 Olaf can take down a turret with little effort so what I will do is get the enemy into position where I can run in get them low and let them run. By the time they are able to get back into the lane the turret is gone. This requires a lot of teamwork as you need tobe soloing and your teamates need to be ready to pressure their lane very hard to keep the attention of the other champs (btw this is a 3v3 strat). I have ended most games by lvl 12 or 13 using this strat. Olaf is an amazing turret tank and can just eat alive. At work right now, so can't get to into depth.