[Guide] Tank Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Radec

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Never have feared his hero since the nerf.

Yep she's garbage now. Any good team can deal with her easily.

AP sucks, Tank build does no damage and melee dmg = lol

RIP the only good and fun hero in LoL.

Talwar

01-05-2010

i really like your tank build i just played katarina 3 times now and alrdy had 12/2/10 stats. great build<3

but i have a question... is slowdown of frozen mallet working for death lotus?

Alenael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2010

Yes it does apply a slow. However you shouldn't really need this most of the time if you are ganking players correctly at the beginning (ie: going after easy targets after hitting level 6). The mallet is more of an item you pick up if you find it hard to keep them in one spot.

I did enjoy your guide though I recall reading it and a handful of others when I first started playing as Kat and found the best method for myself was to judge what I needed more at the time based on the opponents. If there are lots who will die easily from a single death lotus + some AP at level 6 i'll grab it and gank them all. If many are hard hitting guys (Or I feel like they are hugging towers to much) i go for some tank gear, and if I feel they have to many stuns and stuff I go for the mercury threads. After that the process gets more complicated after I see who has done well making it to mid game and depending on those champions I then prepare myself to fight them and further coordinate with my team to help bring those guys down first thing.

For Death Lotus most people don't even understand what it does so they wont run away, and even then I never have issues killing most champions with a few Shunpo or two into a Killer Instincts -> Shunpo -> Death Lotus -> Bouncing Blade combo after hitting level 6. For the love of god stay away from champions like Cho Gath and friends who are way to heavily armored to kill you will never down them without help. Even a full AP build Kat could not kill one of these by herself (Excluding her being extremely well geared above the opponent). Coordinate with your team to take these guys down and they wont be a problem for you after about mid game to at least escape from don't expect to be able to kill them till end game.

Those are just some thoughts I had and wanted to get out I think I may want to try my hand at donating my knowledge and experience at some point into making a guide and I can guarantee guides like these were the source of all of that because without you I would have never fallen in love with Kat.

Phoxly

01-05-2010

I like to try to get Warmogs AFTER my first BF just because unless I am getting lots of kills, I'm not going to be able to afford damage gear and after I get warmogs I very rarely have time left in the game to get a Blood Thirster.

Rappahannock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2010

playing a tank kat is fun because its easy to get a lot of kills and get fed. i like sunfire cape and phage on her. im havent thought of starting with warmogs but i can see how effective it can be. also i think incorporating a leviathian at around 8-10 can be pretty crucial

Rugbyjr

06-15-2010

I personally only play kat tank, because well im reckless and dont care if i die as long as someone goes with me. My build is great because even though it seems like i wont do any damage people are surprisingly nuked. A must is to go offensive tree for the plus 4% damage. Then i go warmogs boots of mobility atmas warmogs warmogs ga. thats roughly 6k hp late game and 230 ad.

Munkiemann

06-15-2010

"1. Regrowth Pendant -> Warmog’s Armor
2. Boots of Speed -> Mercury Treads
3. Banshee’s Veil
4. Atma’s Impaler
5. Phage -> Frozen Mallet
6. Guardian Angel"

I think a Tankarina is good but too much hp will make her useless. I looked over your profile you have 159 wins, 47 of which with kat. Warmogs, frozen mallet, banshees, and guardian angel are all around 3k gold, making your build extremely expensive. Over 4k+ hp is a lil overkill. I think the 3k-3.5k hp mark is good enough in terms of survive and damage. I think you should focus more on AP. Ap items give mag resist, hp, and very good actives like zhonyas. The recommended for Kat actually works pretty well. For me i usually go boots>rylais>Zhonyas>guardian angel if i can get that far> maybe even a haunting guise. This will give you the survive you need and give you good attack damage to actually be useful in a team fight.

LadyEve

Recruiter

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamiya View Post

On a side note, she quite possibly has the worst voice acting in the game.
Thank our lucky stars that Riot fixed this =D

0Wolfheart0

06-15-2010

I don't think this guide will work above low ELO matches, you don't have any cc. Sure, I see your point, you can still do some dmg with your ult but any decent player will just ignore you for the whole time and break your ult as soon as you pop it. Again, sure BV helps, but any caster can take care of that on a decent team and you'd be better slapping it on high dmg build. That said, I'm not a kat player so maybe I'm completely wrong, but I believe that your survival should be guaranteed not by tank items but by joining the fight when cc are blown and someone else is taking dmg

Hsin

Recruiter

06-18-2010

My brother plays an Tank/AP Kat and from what I've seen, its not to impressive because he just doesn't have the damage end game. I like AD Kat far better as she is more viable in a fight given that all the CCs are blown on the opposing team. I usually get regrowth pendant first, then boots (non-upgrade), before getting a BF sword. Then usually at this point I get a feel for how the game goes. Most of the time I usually end up with sorc boots, 2x bloodthirsters, and the beginnings of warmogs armor.