U guys go play ap yi

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KarmaBites

06-13-2010

AP yi is situational. He can be decent in organized teams since he has a decent nuke, can smack someone a few times and then run out and heal to full health. He's not as good, at least in my opinion, in pugs. AP yi is also good if your team has lots of burst damage because with highlander his alpha strike CD is instantly reset when he kills someone. That being said, since I don't play in highly organized high elo play I find AD yi to be significantly better.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanet View Post
tried it out, complete garbage, do not want...
A poor craftsman blames his tools.

Aka, you blow.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2010

AP Yi can actually outlane Katarina in mid. Just wait til she throws BB and use AS. Gotta love that. Kat got nothing to interrupt your Meditate, which is also lovely. As long as you don't get the heal debuff, and use AS wisely, you can definitely last a lot longer than that no spell cost champion.

Thanners

06-13-2010

Out of curiosity, what (general) skill-up order and item-purchase order would you (anyone) recommend for an AP Yi? I'd hazard a guess at Alpha Strike and meditate mainly early on, for farming and just being able to stay in-lane?

Nashun

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxion View Post
A poor craftsman blames his tools.

Aka, you blow.
A poor forum poster makes assumptions. He could have done well in his games with AP Yi and made that forum post.

AKA you're an idiot.

YuaNWA

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanners View Post
Out of curiosity, what (general) skill-up order and item-purchase order would you (anyone) recommend for an AP Yi? I'd hazard a guess at Alpha Strike and meditate mainly early on, for farming and just being able to stay in-lane?
Skill wise, Alpha Strike and Meditate should be the main focus, with probably the exclusion of your ult.

Item wise, boots are situational but should either be Sorcerer's or Mercury Threads. Depending on your runes and masteries, you would want either a Doran's ring, Meki pendant or some other AP item to get as your first item.

After that, I tend to get Zhonya's as the first big item for the 2 sec invulnerability (cause you WILL get CC'ed). After that would be Lich Bane so that it will proc after your abilities. People are recommending DFG but I've never gotten that far mostly. Some people recommend DFG as a first item as well, but I favour Zhonya's as a safety net.

One trick of AP Yi is to only cast Alpha Strike when there are 3 or less minions in the wave. This way you will still hit the enemy but come out of Alpha Strike where the minion was. Alternatively, wait till the 6th strike before using Alpha Strike so that when you come out next to the enemy, you can hit him twice immediately.

Don't underestimate the power of Meditate. I've managed to tank Kat's ult while under Meditate before, cuing much rage. Other then that, watch some vids of AP Yi. I believe Hotshot GG has quite a few good videos of them.

howlinghobo

06-14-2010

I'm curious, why hasn't anybody mentioned that he is completely useless before he gets a bajillion gold in items, even more so than normal yi.

Xocolatl

06-14-2010

I honestly have never had any experience with him, but why would he be bad early?
AP builds almost always start out much stronger than AD. Alpha hits like a truck, and can instant-kill minions which should make gold farming (and harassing) that much easier. Meditate also heal for more as AP. You will also likely have more mana.
I see absolutely no reason why any AP build should be harder than AD during laning to mid game.

Valthar

06-14-2010

Been playing AP yi for a while now. My little Alpha Assassin build.

Chalice---Sell for room to make nashors later.
Boots
Soulstealer
Sheen/lich
ZHonyas
Rylaas/Guinsoos/Void Staff --- Depends on if enemy is getting MR, and if you are surviving fine or being focused.

This was the build i used to go all the time. Like was already said, zhonyas will save you in a big way, use alpha strike on creeps in groups of 3 or less so you still hit enemy champs.

Summoner Abilities

Flash: if alpha strike puts you in a bad spot having this will save your ass. Great ability to use after zhonyas invuln shuts off and you are in the middle of a group of angry enemies.

Cleans: If you dont know why this is awesome, dont try ap yi.

Runes

Red : Magic Pen
Yellow: hp per level
Blue : CD reduction
Quint : straight hp

masteries standard 9/0/21 for me.

I actually have started playing more hybrid than straight AP, but this general build is pretty effective.

Leirkov

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valthar View Post
Been playing AP yi for a while now. My little Alpha Assassin build.

Chalice---Sell for room to make nashors later.
Boots
Soulstealer
Sheen/lich
ZHonyas
Rylaas/Guinsoos/Void Staff --- Depends on if enemy is getting MR, and if you are surviving fine or being focused.

This was the build i used to go all the time. Like was already said, zhonyas will save you in a big way, use alpha strike on creeps in groups of 3 or less so you still hit enemy champs.

Summoner Abilities

Flash: if alpha strike puts you in a bad spot having this will save your ass. Great ability to use after zhonyas invuln shuts off and you are in the middle of a group of angry enemies.

Cleans: If you dont know why this is awesome, dont try ap yi.

Runes

Red : Magic Pen
Yellow: hp per level
Blue : CD reduction
Quint : straight hp

masteries standard 9/0/21 for me.

I actually have started playing more hybrid than straight AP, but this general build is pretty effective.
I agree with this although I tried using Ignite and Cleanse, personal preference along with a 9/21/0 build for better survivability but it might be possible for a 9/0/21 as well.

I don't agree in rushing Mejai's. If you rush it and you die you wasted a slot. I rush Sheen/Lich Bane after boots, then a rageblade, then the real fun begins with items like Rylai's and Zhonya's.

123456 ... 10