Soraka build discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phiphler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

09-27-2009

A hero like Soraka has alot of freedom when choosing Masteries, Runes and items. I have tried many different builds with her, with a varying degree of success.

#1: Masteries and summoner spells.
Utility seems like her best tree, but you can choose between the other 2 for the rest of your points. Offense is great for the reduced cooldowns Sorcery confers, but the defensive improvements of the Defence tree can make her a real tank.

I usually take Offense up until the MGR piercing talent, and Utility up until Presence of the Master.

Regarding spells, almost all the spells are have a use.

Teleport and Fortify are great for saving towers, teleport is also handy for many other things.
Smite and Heal help your earlygame a lot, but Heal is less useful on her then on others IMO.
Promote and Rally are great, since they add more power to towerpushing and teamfights, 2 things Soraka should be trying to do all game.
Clairvoyance can be useful for her.
I don't use Revive, Ghost or Exhaust on her, they don't seem to synergize.

#2: Runes
Cooldown reduction! It's the number 1 stat you need from your runes, as Soraka really loves this stat. I enjoy having the rest as AP and random defensive stats.

Spell penetration can be useful, but it's not necessary. It's not you who benefit the most from your MGR reduction anyway, it's your allies.

You can build her 100% defensivly with runes, but IMO it's better to refresh Wish as often as possible.

#3: Items!
Now here is where the real challenge starts. Let's split it up:

Starting items: I find that I almost always buy Mana Manipulator first. Helps you and your ally lane (don't solo), and builds into the very handy Soul Shroud (aura of cooldown reduction and +health). You can also turn it into an Innervating Locket if you want to.

I also tried getting a Tear of the Godess ASAP, getting Fairy Charm early. It works for her, but IMO Soul Shroud is a more important "first" item.

Boots: I usually get Mercury Treads. You will be running in and out of enemy range alot in order to position for starfall and cast your spells on allies, so getting out of stuns etc. quickly is invaluable.
Boots of Swiftness work as well, as does Ninja Tabi, if you are facing a lot of ranged physical damage, or great chasers such as Yi.

Mid game: After Soul Shroud/Tear of Godess/Locket, you either finish your Archangel staff, or buy something big thats useful. I find that sneaking a Fiendish Codex into my build helps, as Cooldown reduction is great, and you can't go wrong with the AP.

Glacial Shroud is a great midgame item, especially since Frozen Heart is so good. IF you are building for the Heart, you don't need other Cooldown reduction items, so it's good if you took Tear of the Godess early.

If you are going on the offense in teamfights, Abyssal Scepter is a great item as well. The MGR reduction stacks with Starfalls reduction, opening your enemies up to your allied Nukers. AP and MGR are also core stats.

I plan to try Cloak of Flames on her, but it would likely only work if you already have Abyssal Scepter.

Lategame: If it got this far, it's not that good for Soraka. Anything that gives a good chunk of AP or appropriate defense is good, as enemies will usually be dealing a lot of damage by this point, but Wish should be usable very often, with its monster AP scaling.

So that's my current experience. Will update as I continue to play.

Vangu

09-27-2009

Locket
Boots of Haste (+3 if the name is wrong)
frozen heart
armor of legion
and my games normally end there..will add more and get in actual talks about it after my game.

theErk

09-27-2009

spells:
heal:
i take heal cause i feel soraka needs some instant heals in tight situations, her ulti has a much lower cooldown but doesn't outdo heal til later in the game and early game i often need the heal to save/boost team mates.
Rally:
Im a bit at a loss as what to pick as my 2nd, ive picked rally for even more heal, but the damage bonus also helps alot in team fights(i just need to remember to use it more)
uh and i won a soraka vs soraka showdown because of it, where i was a couple of levels lower :-P

Runes:
i mix/match my runes to hit 9% cd reduction at lvl 18, then go for 4.5ms in quints, mr in the seals and little bit of as at the end(for no good reason really).

Masteries:
i go 0/7/23
the most important bits are as follows:
Intelligence: 6% cd reduction to hit 15% with runes
Strength of sprirt: 0,3%hp regen of max mana. this is really nice and, when coupled with bless, allow soraka to completly ignore hp regen items
Expanded mind: 5% max mana this helps soraka with both hp regen and more staying power before she goes oom in long/rapid team fight where she has to use infuse on team mates/opponents
Quickness: along with the rune setup, this allows soraka to use speed 1 boots as speed 2 boots.

items:
#1tear of the goddess
its a really nice item which only gets better as the game progresses i find having a large(and full) manapool allows me to use infuse more offensively.

#2boots
with the 4.5% ms from the quints this is as good as having speed 2 boots, so i dont upgrade them straight away. I wait and see what problems im facing the most and what team setup the opposition have.

#3 Rylais scepter
the first big item i get is the scepter the hp really helps survival, spamming starfall in team fight(even a low level starfall) helps slowdown the opponents so my team mates can better take them down(it even results in the occasional ks, which only helps sorakas economy) and when chasing down fleeing opponents infuse is handy for that 40% ms reduction, infuse also has the longest ranged, this couples with the 4.5 ms from quints helps soraka chase down and slow opponents so the rest of the team can get at them, it also allows her to run besides multiple fleeing opponents while spamming starfall and not falling behind.

#4 Fiendish codex
At this point my spells often start lacking potency so the boost in ap helps out and the cd reduction helps soraka in her spell spamming and the the mana regen helps keep your mana up allow you to use Infuse on other team mates and/or enemies

#5 Stinger
the attack speed helps farming and adds a little more punch to soraka in fight where she does use her regular attack. Its by far not the main reason for the choice of item, more and added bonus. mana regen is the same as above for the codex, entering a fight with full mana allows for really agressive starfall spamming and silencing. The most important benefit is the cd reduction, we are now closing in on th 40% cap by reaching 35%(at lvl 18).

Item notes:
once you've gotten the core items you can start upgrading :
#1 tear of the goddess => Archangel staff
more mana, more mana regen and the most important thing: a good shunk of much needed ap, i always upgrade this right after boots

#2 Boots => what ever
if i feel i can get away with it i often upgrade the boots into boots of mobility to make up for my lack of teleport, it has surved me well so far.
never ever go boots of swiftness with this setup, with 4.5% ms from quints the deminishing returns on speed will make any speed 2 boots more viable as they all come with an added bonus.

#5 Stinger => Nashor's tooth
this adds a nice ap bonus and at this point in the game the more ap you can get the better. You finally hit the 40%cd recution cap. the extra attack speed is a small bonus.

#6 ?
you may have noticed i have no 6th item, i feel the above build is very viable and good and is achivable in a normal game and allows for decent upgrades if the game drags out.
i have experimented with philosopher's stone and heart of gold for the extra gold income. i have the best results with the heart of gold as the survivability it adds is a great boon early game aswell as late game. Its not in my main build as i feel it delays her to much in her game plan as it takes 33 minutes for the heart of gold to pay itself back, so you are basically delaying all items be 33 minutes where after you start to feel the extra gold.
The philosopher's stone is nice but ultimatly not needed its very expensive and even early game soraka doesn't need the extra hp/mp regen and this just delays other items even further.
you could god for the lucky pick, being a cheap money items which add a litle extra ap, but i have personally not had much succes with that, if i have to go for a money item i say go for the heart.
or you can buy a blasting wand and see how much cash you can get and build a big ap item Zhonya's ring for example, but getting enough gold for this aswell as the rest is unrealistic.

Enjoy the wall'o'text :-)
Erk

edit: changing wish to infuse, somehow i got the names mixed up, sorry if it confused some people :-/

Phiphler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

09-29-2009

I've recently experimented with Guinsoo's Rageblade and some AP items.

Works decently, I have to say AP was better for her then I expected. Will continue testing.

DryPenguin

09-29-2009

Best build for Soraka is to pick a different champ

LOLS

Husbane

09-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryPenguin View Post
Best build for Soraka is to pick a different champ

LOLS
QFT~~~ But I have played her a few times, mostly as early- / mid- support. She's great for that, but if the game goes past that, she's pretty useless. I built her mostly tanky, Froze Heart, etc. Been thinking about trying a Mallet on her for the slow and HP and then going mostly AP after that. She's really fun early/mid though. Just need to make sure you're with a team that can win fast.

J

Phiphler

The Council

09-29-2009

You guys are insane if you think she is worthless lategame.

Ever seen a Wish bring an entire team from near death to near full? How about every 35th second?

Vangu

09-29-2009

36 secs actually and yes I have

Husbane

09-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiphler View Post
You guys are insane if you think she is worthless lategame.

Ever seen a Wish bring an entire team from near death to near full? How about every 35th second?
True, wish is awesome, but it's a one trick pony. Now I'll admit, I haven't tried building AP on her yet, and I'm sure that would make it all the the better. But I think the complaint is that her other abilities don't scale well enough to make her more then a ~twice a minute heal bot in end game. IMO, she's needs some work. All that said, I admit, I have fun playing her from time to time.

J

Phiphler

The Council

09-29-2009

Starcall gets a noticable contribution from it, it's around 0.25, but since you cast it so much its ok.

Astral Blessing gets 1/12th of your AP every one of its 12 seconds. It can actually heal quite alot if you have the AP for it.

Wish heals for double your AP.

I dunno man, I think its ok. Try playing her seriously next time.