Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Havorn

09-08-2011

Remove flash.
Slighly adjust Champs with built-in blinks.

Profit.

Rakaydos

09-08-2011

Why? What anti-pattern does that interact with?

Or if you're just QQing, take it to another thread.

Chzrm3

09-08-2011

Quote:
Conflicted Purpose
This one is not a super strong anti-pattern, but sometimes it's there. A good example of this would be a 500 damage nuke that slows enemy attack speed by 50% for 10 seconds (as opposed to say, 20%), on a 20 second cooldown. At 50%, this is a strong combat initiation disable... but at 500 damage it's a great finisher on someone who is running... but you also want to use it early to get the disable -- even though you won't have it avail by the end of combat usually to finish. This makes players queasy about using the ability much like in the optimization case, but it's a slightly different problem. If the ability exists for too many different purposes on an explicit basis, it becomes confusing. this is different from something like blink which can be used for many purposes, but has a clear basic purpose -- in that place, players tend to just feel creative instead.
I agree with most of your list, but I have an issue with this one. The choice that you mentions sounds pretty interesting, and I think the tradeoff between power and utility in spells is something that makes characters much more diverse, complex, and satisfying. Not to mention this is all over the place in your game, and it's totally fine as is. : P

A great example is Annie's passive in the laning phase. Her Q is great for getting CS, but once you're at 5 stacks and ready to stun, you face an interesting choice - do you continue to CS with Q, ignore your passive for the time being, and just keep farming? Or do you make use of the stun to harass your opponent with a potential Q --> W combo? We're talking about a big difference here, farming gold at 0 mana cost vs. harassing your lane opponent pretty heftily, but burning a good bit of mana and over-pushing your lane because of W.

And yet, it's a fascinating trade off and makes Annie legitimately interesting.

So, don't worry about "conflicted purpose" too much. It's pretty fun imo, just about every champ in the game has it in some context, and what players decide to do with their conflicted purpose spells is what separates good players from great ones.

KillerhuntCR

09-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomy View Post
Good post, Zileas.

But Rupture was still awesome
1- wait for DoTA 2 the sequel of the game that started it all..made by valve
2-play as the bloodseeker
3-have fun
4-Play LoL every now and then to have a good laugh at how unbalanced that game is

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-08-2011
281 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzrm3 View Post
I agree with most of your list, but I have an issue with this one. The choice that you mentions sounds pretty interesting, and I think the tradeoff between power and utility in spells is something that makes characters much more diverse, complex, and satisfying. Not to mention this is all over the place in your game, and it's totally fine as is. : P

A great example is Annie's passive in the laning phase. Her Q is great for getting CS, but once you're at 5 stacks and ready to stun, you face an interesting choice - do you continue to CS with Q, ignore your passive for the time being, and just keep farming? Or do you make use of the stun to harass your opponent with a potential Q --> W combo? We're talking about a big difference here, farming gold at 0 mana cost vs. harassing your lane opponent pretty heftily, but burning a good bit of mana and over-pushing your lane because of W.

And yet, it's a fascinating trade off and makes Annie legitimately interesting.

So, don't worry about "conflicted purpose" too much. It's pretty fun imo, just about every champ in the game has it in some context, and what players decide to do with their conflicted purpose spells is what separates good players from great ones.
It really depends. Sometimes these choices are fun, other times, they are orthogonal and very confusing.

Enemy Player

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2011

Really interesting look into the design world. Good read!

:Edit:

I have to be that guy right now.....

A red post above me! Woot!

MG z3rg3m3ow

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
well, we are removing flash
huehuehue.

Jortalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3rg3m3n View Post
huehuehue.
Xin
Shh.

Colonel J

09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zileas View Post
well, we are removing flash
when?

DJ Radix

09-20-2011

One ability that I *wish* could be implemented for a champion, but seems to cause a problem, is actually lifting an ally on your shoulder and pulling them to safety. That sounds cool, except it could be a huge trolling tool--picking up an ally and carrying them *not to safety at all oh god*.

These abilities that can harm allies by intent or even accidentally--it takes a lot of things off the table that could be fun if used "properly". But then you have things like Shen's ultimate, which gives you the same "feeling" without using that mechanic.

Do you have a list of abilities that you have taken off the table, due to this very sort of issue?