[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meta

05-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
The new revolver is definitely tailormade for Akali. The slow is a bit unnessesary, but hey it's a free 200 damage nuke.
Possibly. It's very expensive, and doesn't have any survivability on it. I'm still a bit skeptical, but it'll definitely be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptys View Post
This guide is excellent. I followed the item build on Akali and I usually have 20+ kills with 0-8 deaths. Thanks a lot.
No problem! Thanks the feedback

Kurugi

05-31-2010

I've been forcing myself to go for Rylai's ASAP based on how much this guide hypes the item, and it is indeed an awesome item. However I've been finding that trying to get Rylai's as my 1st or 2nd major item severely gimps me in the early mid game stage just because of how long it takes me and of how low my burst capabilities are at this stage in the match.

The components that build into Rylai's just don't seem to increase my burst damage to the point to get any kills, and I'm actually finding it easier to build items if I get Sheen as my 2nd or 3rd item just because of how it increases my bursting capabilities and actually allows me to get a few kills for extra gold, something I just can't seem to do when trying to build a Rylai's right off the bat.

By the time I do get Rylai's my opponents are usually well geared with a couple items decent items as well, which ends up matching and sometimes completely overshadowing the effectiveness of my Rylai's.

So I think instead of forcing myself to focus on Rylai's first and foremost my midgame item build will look more like:

Doran's Blade
Boots 1/Sheen (or amp tome if I can't afford it yet then build into Sheen)
Sorc/Merc boots

THEN Rylai's.

Basically I've just been finding more success going for a Sheen's first and foremost.

Meta

06-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
I've been forcing myself to go for Rylai's ASAP based on how much this guide hypes the item, and it is indeed an awesome item. However I've been finding that trying to get Rylai's as my 1st or 2nd major item severely gimps me in the early mid game stage just because of how long it takes me and of how low my burst capabilities are at this stage in the match.

The components that build into Rylai's just don't seem to increase my burst damage to the point to get any kills, and I'm actually finding it easier to build items if I get Sheen as my 2nd or 3rd item just because of how it increases my bursting capabilities and actually allows me to get a few kills for extra gold, something I just can't seem to do when trying to build a Rylai's right off the bat.

By the time I do get Rylai's my opponents are usually well geared with a couple items decent items as well, which ends up matching and sometimes completely overshadowing the effectiveness of my Rylai's.

So I think instead of forcing myself to focus on Rylai's first and foremost my midgame item build will look more like:

Doran's Blade
Boots 1/Sheen (or amp tome if I can't afford it yet then build into Sheen)
Sorc/Merc boots

THEN Rylai's.

Basically I've just been finding more success going for a Sheen's first and foremost.
The reason I like Rylai's first is because I feel it fills in this missing gaps that Akali has, mainly survivability and a slow. Sheen adds some decent burst, but Akali already has great burst with her core abilities. I find that I can survive more early-mid game encounters by getting an early Giant's Belt, which leads to more kills. Additionally, it lets me stay out on the map longer which means I can farm more gold for later in the game.

However, I'd say if Sheen works better than you, then that's the route you should take. My playstyle might be different from yours, and games might be played differently depending on where we each sit in Elo.

Meta

06-02-2010

I tried gunblade for the first time last night on Akali. In all honesty, I was pretty underwhelmed. I took it right after my Rylai's. I found the damage underwhelming, probably mainly because it was so late in the game. Also, I barely noticed the slow, but then again I always had Rylai's as well. In all honesty, I found it FAR less useful than a Lich Bane.

I could try rushing it before Rylai's, but the lack of any HP really makes me hesitant. The slow is inconsistent with the 60 second cooldown, and some of the stats (Life Steal) feel mostly worthless to me. If I'm going to rush a damage item that early, I'd probably just get a cheap Sheen and move on to Rylai's from there.

The one situation I could MAYBE see taking it is if it gets late enough in the game where I'm ready to replace my Doran's Blade and still need some AD for the passive. In this case, it'd be a toss-up between Gunblade and Guinsoo's.

This is only based off one game though, so I'll have to toy around with it a bit more.

Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences with Gunblade (Or any other new/changed items) on Akali?

Kurugi

06-03-2010

Hadn't played Akali in a few days and just did a practice game to try out Sheen before Rylai's, since I'd really only done a couple games going for Sheen first and couldn't remember how effective it actually was.

I actually didn't notice a massive difference between going Sheen or going for Rylai's. I'd probably conclude that the added bonus damage from Sheen probably equals the added survivability of going for Giant's Belt on the way to Rylai's.

I think my main problem before was my not understanding to use Mark before Shadow Dancing in in order to get the bonus damage of the attack. As you've said Meta, before getting Rylai's if you try to Shadow Dance in first and then attack more often then not the enemy will immediately run away and you won't do zilch. I think after changing my tactics this way I'll probably find more success rushing Rylai's before Sheen.

I went after lizard buff around level 9 during the practice game (I think by that time I had Sheen + Giant's Belt) and the slow seems about as effective as Rylai's, so it might be feasible to utilize the buff in order to put Rylai's off if one wanted to go for Sheen first for the extra burst. However, that might not be a wise idea given the enemy team's makeup. I play TF quite a bit as well and part of my diet includes solo jungling champions.

I should probably run another practice game going for Rylai's first just to double check and compare, but I assume the differences won't be hugely noticeable whether I go for Rylai's or Sheen first. We'll see.

I will say that I'm glad I reread your guide Meta and ran said practice game. I think I brushed up my Akali game quite a bit and corrected my tactics. I put Akali on the backburner for a few days after discovering my knack for playing TF and Poppy, but I think I'll focus on playing her a lot more now after that refresher course.

Meta

06-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
Hadn't played Akali in a few days and just did a practice game to try out Sheen before Rylai's, since I'd really only done a couple games going for Sheen first and couldn't remember how effective it actually was.

I actually didn't notice a massive difference between going Sheen or going for Rylai's. I'd probably conclude that the added bonus damage from Sheen probably equals the added survivability of going for Giant's Belt on the way to Rylai's.

I think my main problem before was my not understanding to use Mark before Shadow Dancing in in order to get the bonus damage of the attack. As you've said Meta, before getting Rylai's if you try to Shadow Dance in first and then attack more often then not the enemy will immediately run away and you won't do zilch. I think after changing my tactics this way I'll probably find more success rushing Rylai's before Sheen.

I went after lizard buff around level 9 during the practice game (I think by that time I had Sheen + Giant's Belt) and the slow seems about as effective as Rylai's, so it might be feasible to utilize the buff in order to put Rylai's off if one wanted to go for Sheen first for the extra burst. However, that might not be a wise idea given the enemy team's makeup. I play TF quite a bit as well and part of my diet includes solo jungling champions.

I should probably run another practice game going for Rylai's first just to double check and compare, but I assume the differences won't be hugely noticeable whether I go for Rylai's or Sheen first. We'll see.

I will say that I'm glad I reread your guide Meta and ran said practice game. I think I brushed up my Akali game quite a bit and corrected my tactics. I put Akali on the backburner for a few days after discovering my knack for playing TF and Poppy, but I think I'll focus on playing her a lot more now after that refresher course.

I'll admit that Rylai's first or Sheen first both have their advantages and disadvantages. To me, the advantages to Rylai's are just more substantial. I find I'm a more valuable asset to my team when I have enough survivability to stick around and soak a little bit of damage here and there.

You're correct that Lizard is a VERY good substitute for Rylai's while you're working on building it. However, as you said sometimes it can be dangerous to get Lizard, or sometimes I'd prefer to have it on my ranged carry. Even games where I am farming it, I don't have the utility masteries so the duration is fairly short.

I'm glad you feel like you're getting the knack of it though It's really fun once you get to the point with her where you can react extremely quickly and effectively, since she has a LOT of utilities at her fingertips. The problem I've been having lately is Shadow Dancing too quickly after I throw my Mark, and then I actually arrive and auto-attack before my mark lands! So, be careful with that one :P

Meta

06-03-2010

Updated 6/3
*Updated item build*
*Added FAQ question for Hextech Gunblade*

Kurugi

06-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
The problem I've been having lately is Shadow Dancing too quickly after I throw my Mark, and then I actually arrive and auto-attack before my mark lands! So, be careful with that one :P
I think I did that a couple times during the practice match I did actually. Kinda hard not to want to do thought since it's pretty reflexive. You want to get in there asap if you're throwing Mark first since they're going to be running away as soon as you throw it (unless they're a melee carry or tank and think they can take you I guess) so it's an understandable mistake.

Domitan

06-03-2010

Meta I gotta say, I've used your guide since my first game with Akali and it's worked out great. My current win/loss is 13/6 with rather respectable scores throughout the games even on losses.

It seems the only problems I run into playing Akali are...

• Stun Characters (but merc's plus shroud usually helps if you time it right)
  • Very Tanky teams (ran into only a couple of these)
  • Better ranged harass opponents during the laning phase

So how does Meta handle these things?

Edit: Also when people Stack MR, get some physical like BF swords or..? :P

Wyldecard

06-03-2010

I agree, this guide is very well written in my opinion. Since Akali came out I've tried a lot of the different guides posted and this one has been the most successful for me by far. Also, concerning Guinsoo and gunblade, I just recently came to the same conclusions as Meta. That is, that while Guinsoo's is a solid item for Akali, you will generally get more out of going straight to sheen/lichbane after Rylai's and getting Guinsoo afterwards as a replacement for Doran's. With gunblade, now that I've tried it out for a few games, I'll likely rarely if ever pick it up on Akali again. Guinsoo is simply a more cost-effective item if you already have Rylai's, with comparable AP and AD to gunblade, plus the AS procs. Though it lacks the added lifesteal/spellvamp, it isn't worth the extra 1000 gold over Guinsoo's in my opinion.