[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siky

05-25-2010

I have a similar build though I've dropped Guinsoo and I've been getting Sheen before Rylai's. Rylai's is a powerhouse, but it still takes time to get there and that's usually time where Akali has trouble getting kills. Sheen does help for me a bit since I can get it as my Ult becomes available whereas Rylai's is a bit longer. Basically Sheen at 6 gives me the ability to chase people into towers and flash out after killing them because of burst damage I wouldn't otherwise have. Rylai's I grab after that because that's when team fights start.

Guinsoo I still have trouble figuring out why you should invest in it, it's a nice item, but is it really needed? 2235g item that's only real purpose is letting you beast on turrets imo. I find it odd people always build it because it's an item for people who are basically sustained DPS like Jax where they can stick in there, but for Akali I usually go in and out of fights and only picking off casters and DPS as I see the chance. The benefit of Guinsoo is having 8 stacks up, but at base, it's a pretty bad item for it's value.

I usually grab GA/BV after Rylai's with my build, but I don't know what your experience is with group fights. I tend to feel like I'm always focused down first and after every fight I basically have to go heal, even if it's a small fight that doesn't involve my team completely dominating the other. With GA or BV you can be a little riskier and it allows you to follow the same style while netting you more kills because people often kill you as you finish your burst if you don't run away and then you res to finish them off (unless your team sucks and they just die without picking off a single person in turn). It seems getting survival items after Lich Bane is a bit late and I tend to die depending on how good my team is right after I get Rylai's so I like getting any single survival item there.

With the recent mass use of Cleanse, I find it difficult to run an effective game with Ignite so my build goes with Ghost and Flash which are both mainly used defensively, but can net you double kills early on as well.

Anyways, Akali is susceptible to play style, everyone probably plays a pretty reserved Akali at the start because she really needs her Ult to get a good offense going without just immediately dying to any stun/exhaust, but I like having mobility at the start so that I can snowball if my opponents do anything stupid at all. Item placement usually depends on play style so maybe more insight to tips on what you should be doing during different parts of the game or how to engage a team fight is a good idea. I see a lot of Akalis rush in head first, drop a shroud and then die because they feel like the shroud will protect them. AOEs on top of her shroud usually kills Akali and that style you aren't even baiting single target CCs, you're just dying for no reason.

Meta

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
I have a similar build though I've dropped Guinsoo and I've been getting Sheen before Rylai's. Rylai's is a powerhouse, but it still takes time to get there and that's usually time where Akali has trouble getting kills. Sheen does help for me a bit since I can get it as my Ult becomes available whereas Rylai's is a bit longer. Basically Sheen at 6 gives me the ability to chase people into towers and flash out after killing them because of burst damage I wouldn't otherwise have. Rylai's I grab after that because that's when team fights start.
I've tried Sheen before Rylai's, but the main reason I like Rylai's first is actually pretty close to your reason for liking Sheen first... diving for kills.

You're right that I can't get Rylai's right at 6, but often I can get Giant's Belt + Amp Tome. The extra survivability lets me takes more risks, and causes more opponents to underestimate my survivability.

Maybe it just caters to my playstyle more, but I notice a significant increase in my effectiveness once I have a Giant's Belt.

However, I haven't tried early Sheen for quite some time (and I've learned a lot about Akali since then), so maybe I'll give it another try.

Quote:
Guinsoo I still have trouble figuring out why you should invest in it, it's a nice item, but is it really needed? 2235g item that's only real purpose is letting you beast on turrets imo. I find it odd people always build it because it's an item for people who are basically sustained DPS like Jax where they can stick in there, but for Akali I usually go in and out of fights and only picking off casters and DPS as I see the chance. The benefit of Guinsoo is having 8 stacks up, but at base, it's a pretty bad item for it's value.
I don't find I have much difficulty getting my stacks up quickly. Dropping all 4 of my abilities + an auto-attack is a pretty common way to start combat, which is 5 immediate stacks.

Additionally, I find it has good general usefulness outside of ganking, including jungling, tower killing (as you mentioned), and general farming. Akali's auto-attacks hit pretty hard because of her passive, and attack speed much means you'll be landing that many more of them.

I could see ditching this for a survivability item if I'm really having trouble staying alive, but generally my Rylai's is enough until later in the game.

Quote:
I usually grab GA/BV after Rylai's with my build, but I don't know what your experience is with group fights. I tend to feel like I'm always focused down first and after every fight I basically have to go heal, even if it's a small fight that doesn't involve my team completely dominating the other. With GA or BV you can be a little riskier and it allows you to follow the same style while netting you more kills because people often kill you as you finish your burst if you don't run away and then you res to finish them off (unless your team sucks and they just die without picking off a single person in turn). It seems getting survival items after Lich Bane is a bit late and I tend to die depending on how good my team is right after I get Rylai's so I like getting any single survival item there.
This one's a little more situational for me. Generally if I find myself getting focused first, I'll try to make them pay for it by being overall evasive. I can use Shroud, Dance, and the occasional necessary Flash to get out alive. If their whole team is trying to catch me, it means the rest of my team is having their way with them. Often this strategy brings more benefit to the team than awesome dps.

However, if I honestly can't stay alive for the life of me then I'd definitely grab an early survivability item. No champion should have a completely pre-planned build, since every game is different. Adaptation is important, and it's not something that comes with reading a guide. It comes from experience.

Quote:
With the recent mass use of Cleanse, I find it difficult to run an effective game with Ignite so my build goes with Ghost and Flash which are both mainly used defensively, but can net you double kills early on as well.
I see a fair amount of Cleanse, but not enough to make me ditch Ignite. I always take note of who has Cleanse as the game begins so that I know who not to Ignite. Sometimes there will be games where their whole team has Cleanse, and it sucks, but it's still worth having.

Additionally, I see a LOT more heavy healing teams than heavy Cleanse teams, which is all the more reason to take Ignite.

Quote:
Anyways, Akali is susceptible to play style, everyone probably plays a pretty reserved Akali at the start because she really needs her Ult to get a good offense going without just immediately dying to any stun/exhaust, but I like having mobility at the start so that I can snowball if my opponents do anything stupid at all. Item placement usually depends on play style so maybe more insight to tips on what you should be doing during different parts of the game or how to engage a team fight is a good idea. I see a lot of Akalis rush in head first, drop a shroud and then die because they feel like the shroud will protect them. AOEs on top of her shroud usually kills Akali and that style you aren't even baiting single target CCs, you're just dying for no reason.
I agree that a lot about Akali comes down to playstyle. However, most of the Akali's I see be successful play pretty similarly to me, which is to play extremely defensive sometimes, and extremely offensive other times. It's difficult to explain all the situations in a guide, but I feel like I've done a pretty good job overall.

You mentioned adding more tips on how to engage a team fight, but I feel like my survivability section covered it pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali
It can be tempting to run into combat immediately and drop Shroud, but often this will leave you vulnerable later in the fight. If you have another initiator, wait out the first few second of combat. Move into a position where you can quickly get to an enemy squishy, then jump in once you feel safe. Hopefully after a few seconds most of the AOE and CC will be blown. Use Shroud wisely, and donít drop it until necessary. I canít count the number of times Iíve been trigger-happy with Shroud, only to wish I had it later on.
Is there something specific you feel like I should add?

facepalm26

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2010

Might I recommend changing your Glyphs to -% CDR @ level 18. If I recall correctly, they give you the same cd reduction at level 13 than flat CDR, and seeing as most of the game takes place after level 13...

With all CDR @ 18 Glyphs and 9-0-21 Masteries, I've gotten my Q and E down to around 2 seconds flat with the use of a Nashor's Tooth. And my R down to 1.25 seconds. Something to think about I suppose.

If you would like, I can spell it out further. 8.1% CDR @ 18 + 9% CDR through masteries + 25% CDR through Nashor's Tooth = 42.1%

The CDR cap is 40%. You would need another item to reach 40% with your Rune build. With my idea you would reach the cap by around level 15 (give or take a fraction of a %).

Meta

05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalm26 View Post
Might I recommend changing your Glyphs to -% CDR @ level 18. If I recall correctly, they give you the same cd reduction at level 13 than flat CDR, and seeing as most of the game takes place after level 13...
Most of the game does not take place after level 13, at least not at my Elo. Games are often decided by this point.

Personally, I'd rather have the CDR earlier, since all of her abilities scale down in Cooldown as you rank them up. This means that CDR will have a larger reduction at earlier ranks than at later ranks.

I don't find a lot of CDR necessary on Akali TBH. You're often most at the mercy of your Shadow Dance charges, not your cooldowns.

Quote:
With all CDR @ 18 Glyphs and 9-0-21 Masteries, I've gotten my Q and E down to around 2 seconds flat with the use of a Nashor's Tooth. And my R down to 1.25 seconds. Something to think about I suppose.

If you would like, I can spell it out further. 8.1% CDR @ 18 + 9% CDR through masteries + 25% CDR through Nashor's Tooth = 42.1%

The CDR cap is 40%. You would need another item to reach 40% with your Rune build. With my idea you would reach the cap by around level 15 (give or take a fraction of a %).
Your build is requiring you to spec Utility (the worst tree for Akali), buy terrible items for her (Nashor's Tooth) all to spam your abilities a little more quickly.

With how Akali plays, I'd personally rather cast my abilities less often, but have them be more potent. That's less time I have to be in the fray, and less time I have to be revealed within my Shroud.

Nykidemus

05-27-2010

I gave this a shot and liked it well enough. Fun to play.

Charmicarmicarmicat

05-28-2010

It's very solid. Consider getting Lichbane on her right after Rylais - The difference between 80% base damage and 160 AP is definitely noticeable. Chuck a bril pot and you're at 210 or so. Alternatively, if you're doing good, get a soulstealer, followed by Lichbane.

Personally, while Guinsoo seems great on paper, I can't help to think if there are items that would be of more use to her, such as building for Zhonya's for more burst or Warmog, Guardian Angel or Banshee's for more survivability.

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2010

I don't like Rylai's but you make a good arguement. I'll try out your build later tonight.

Meta

05-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
It's very solid. Consider getting Lichbane on her right after Rylais - The difference between 80% base damage and 160 AP is definitely noticeable. Chuck a bril pot and you're at 210 or so. Alternatively, if you're doing good, get a soulstealer, followed by Lichbane.

Personally, while Guinsoo seems great on paper, I can't help to think if there are items that would be of more use to her, such as building for Zhonya's for more burst or Warmog, Guardian Angel or Banshee's for more survivability.
I've actually been experimenting with builds without a Guinsoo's, mostly going something like:
Rylai's
Lichbane
Guardian Angel

I think I'm going to keep toying around with it until next patch so that I can try the new Revolver in there as well. Will probably update in a week or so.

Charmicarmicarmicat

05-30-2010

The new revolver is definitely tailormade for Akali. The slow is a bit unnessesary, but hey it's a free 200 damage nuke.

Cryptys

05-30-2010

This guide is excellent. I followed the item build on Akali and I usually have 20+ kills with 0-8 deaths. Thanks a lot.

12345678 ... 12