[Guide] Meta's Guide to a Well-Rounded Akali

1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2010

lol

Meta

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str1k3r View Post
Meta is an insane Akali. Follow his advice spot on.
Hey now... I might be a little mentally deranged, but I don't think I'm quite insane...

villaj

05-24-2010

Really nice build i use almost the same one but i start with a long sword cause i dont have a PD rune yet and get rageblade first. Probably is better get rylai first for the slow so im gonna try it. Another thing, have u tried cleanse instead of flash? is much more spammable than flash and save me a few times, but is not so great for chasing.

Roflcoptr

05-24-2010

i would try to add a spirit visage to this build, because since you are getting quite of ap, the unique passive will allow you to get more health whenever she uses an ability. Plus, the cool down, early health regen, and magic resists gives her even MORE survivability.

Meta

05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by villaj View Post
Really nice build i use almost the same one but i start with a long sword cause i dont have a PD rune yet and get rageblade first. Probably is better get rylai first for the slow so im gonna try it. Another thing, have u tried cleanse instead of flash? is much more spammable than flash and save me a few times, but is not so great for chasing.
I have tried Cleanse, but don't prefer it. I go Mercury Treads to counter CC.

It's true that Cleanse has a very low cooldown, but it's significantly less useful. Typically I can escape most situations using Shroud, Shadow Dance, and juking. The few situations that I can't is where Flash comes into play. In most of these situations, Cleanse wouldn't do me much good.

EDIT: Maybe when we have draft mode I could see picking Cleanse to counter certain champions such as Ashe. However, I just can't justify blindly picking Cleanse. I could potentially come across a team with very little CC and then it would be wasted, where Flash is always useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflcoptr View Post
i would try to add a spirit visage to this build, because since you are getting quite of ap, the unique passive will allow you to get more health whenever she uses an ability. Plus, the cool down, early health regen, and magic resists gives her even MORE survivability.
Starting next patch, Spirit Visage won't affect spell vamp (or lifesteal), so there wouldn't be much point in adapting my build to use it. The other stats aren't bad for her, but I don't think it's really worth fitting into a build.

EDIT: Even if Spirit Visage worked with spellvamp, if you had 10% spellvamp from your passive, you'd only get a bonus 2.5%. By comparison, you can buy Haunting Guise for a similar price which gives 5-10% spellvamp, HP, magic pen, and ability power. I'd take Haunting Guise over Spirit Visage any day, and I don't even take Haunting Guise (as explained in my FAQ).

Meta

05-25-2010

Updated FAQ to include snowball items, and made minor adjustments elsewhere.

Kurugi

05-25-2010

Nice guide Meta. I just started using Akali last night after my temporary champs switched around, and I think I'm in love.

I have a noob question though. Why magic pen for akali? Isn't she a physical fighter and thus would benefit from armor pen more or something? I'm probably just ignorant to a certain game mechanic here which is why it has me scratching my head.

Meta

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
Nice guide Meta. I just started using Akali last night after my temporary champs switched around, and I think I'm in love.

I have a noob question though. Why magic pen for akali? Isn't she a physical fighter and thus would benefit from armor pen more or something? I'm probably just ignorant to a certain game mechanic here which is why it has me scratching my head.
Her Q + Ult are the majority of her burst damage, and they both deal magic damage.

Her E (Crescent Slash) does Physical Damage, and while it does account for some of your burst, it's definitely the minority.

Also, the bonus damage from her passive does magic damage as well, so even her auto attacks are partially magical.

Many people will say "Look at her post-game report, most of her damage is physical", but they're neglecting the fact that most of her damage while farming is physical (Auto-attacks + Crescent), while most of her damage while ganking is magical. Personally, I'd rather be a good ganker than a good farmer.

Kurugi

05-25-2010

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sheen item? I had a game where someone told me to get it cuz it's one of the best items for her. My last game I ended up with Doran's Blade, Sorc boots, Sheen, Rylai's, and Rageblade and it worked very well. I could melt even tank characters pretty easily.

Meta

05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sheen item? I had a game where someone told me to get it cuz it's one of the best items for her. My last game I ended up with Doran's Blade, Sorc boots, Sheen, Rylai's, and Rageblade and it worked very well. I could melt even tank characters pretty easily.
I've actually slowly been moving Sheen up in my rotation. I now generally take it immediately after Rylai's, so my build looks more like:

Doran's Blade
Rylai's
Sheen
Guinsoo's
Lichbane

I honestly don't see myself taking it before Rylai's though. Rylai's has everything I want for my mid-game, which is survivability and utility. Her base abilities already give her really powerful DPS, so I'd rather give her what she lacks to make her more well-rounded (hence the guide name).

I'm going to do a little more testing with the next patch (which hopefully will come out this week), and then I'll update my item build accordingly.

1234567 ... 12