[Guide] The Garen of Today

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Batman irl

08-08-2011

Why do most people ignore cool down reduction on Garen? I sometimes like to get ionian boots and ghost blade for the quicker cool downs since he is solely cool down based. Being able to Q every 5ish seconds and spin every 7 is pretty nice.

Flawliss

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman irl View Post
Why do most people ignore cool down reduction on Garen? I sometimes like to get ionian boots and ghost blade for the quicker cool downs since he is solely cool down based. Being able to Q every 5ish seconds and spin every 7 is pretty nice.
i love cdr on garen, this is a nice build i found on mobafire: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...nd-killer-2042

only thing i change is i get ghost and flash for super super mobility, and i dont get the same runes, i get ArPen marks, dodge seals, cdr glyphs and flat health quints, i have however tried his rune set up and it is freakin beautiful since Q and E both crit

Shamanb

08-08-2011

no magic res items whatsoever ???

So basicly ur garen is a physical tanky dps only, vs AP carry he just melt away in seconds...

I'll pass, thx.

Shamanb

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretebuddha View Post
I'm all about the hp stacking on garen, so I dig the atma's + warmog + sunfire cape thing you've got going there.

I just see two alterations:

First, any carry that sees you are stacking hps is going to buy a madred's. Which means you need MR. Which means a fon.

Second, you need some way of slowing down runners, which is why I actually dig a frozen mallet on garen. You speed up with Q, you slow down with your autoattack. You gain extra hps that stack with atmas. (I ditch youmuu's since you already have a move speed skill, and you don't need attack speed when you're spinning.)

A final garen build to me might look like:

merc treads
warmogs
atmas
fon
sunfire cape
frozen mallet

Except Youmuu's is NOT built for the AS on Garen ... it's built for the AD + crit + ArPen... It's a damage item, that you replaced by an HP item. So your build will be tougher, but will do a lot less dmg.

norkul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

could spirit visage be a cheaper substitute for for FoN?

xXMikeyProphetXx

08-24-2011

I build Garen as a tanky DPS, mostly with offensive runes and masteries and defensive items.

Runes: Crit, Crit Dmg, AS, Health Regen, CDR

Masteries: 23/6/1

Spells:

Exhuast: Makes chasing enemies down easier, can be used defensively to escape along with "Q" and "E".

Teleport: Heaven forbid if there's an unguarded enemy tower being stormed by your minions. Teleport there off of one of the minions and help them push it over. Your "Q" can damage turrets, and give you the speed boost to escape. Teleport is also a good way to teleport back to one of your towers/minions in order to escape enemies without having to go back to base to regen. It works really well if you have FON and Warmog's stacked.

So I must admit that I'm still experimenting with runes on this build, but so far I've been able to go 26/2/12 in some games and 17/5/26 in others, it just depends on the role I play in-game.

Before I get items I look at the opposing team and see if they have more AP or AD champs.

I almost always try to lane with another champ that has good CC. Morgana's Entangle and Ashe's Frost Shot work really well with Garen. Other good laning partners are: Sion, Sona, Lux, Viegar .. .. Mainly someone who is not another tank (I build tank items), but still has good CC, or support abilities.

Most of the time I get a cloth armor, and 5 hp pots to start. This gives me excellent sustainability in lanes up to lvl 6 or 7. Plus, if I die during the early laning phase, my teleport gets me back in there nice and quick-like.

The next most important thing I build is Boots of Swiftness. The movement speed coupled with Garen's additional Q speed, can really help get you out of a tough situation, plus silencing an enemy champ is an excellent precursor to a hasty retreat.

At this point if I either rush FON, starting with Regrowth Pendant if it's a predominantly AP team, or Thornmail if it's a predominantly AD team. Thornmail is a real problem for enemy Yis and Tryndameres Early game before they can get Black Cleaver. After I have my Armor and MR (Thornmail and FON), I immediately start building Warmog's.

Why?
Because of the health regen stacked with FON makes Garen very, and I mean VERY tanky.
Rather a problem for that Annie or Ryze who wants to stun/combo nuke you.

I don't rush Sunfire cape like everyone suggests.
Why?
Because it only gives me +45 armor (Thornmail give +100) and I use other items to build damage/AS. And my crit runes coupled with my "E" makes farming not such an arduous task.

At this point it's mid to late game, I almost always try and help my carry get the red and/or blue buffs.

Depending on my team I either tank Garen by stacking another Warmog's, and finally getting a sunfire cape, or I go DPS by getting a phantom dancer and finally an Infinity Edge. The Phantom Dancers, along with Boots of swiftness, exhaust, and your Q make chasing enemies down, and escaping more of a possibility than ever.

By late game you should have 4k health or more, be incredibly fast, and tough to kill. Not to mention Garen's *****in' Ult, that allows you to get in the middle of a teamfight and execute a low HP, fleeing enemy champ.

Hang out with your carry from this point on, and it should give the team a win.

JohnnyJayJohnson

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMikeyProphetXx View Post
I build Garen as a tanky DPS, mostly with offensive runes and masteries and defensive items.

Most of the time I get a cloth armor, and 5 hp pots to start. This gives me excellent sustainability in lanes up to lvl 6 or 7. Plus, if I die during the early laning phase, my teleport gets me back in there nice and quick-like.

The next most important thing I build is Boots of Swiftness. The movement speed coupled with Garen's additional Q speed, can really help get you out of a tough situation, plus silencing an enemy champ is an excellent precursor to a hasty retreat.

At this point if I either rush FON, starting with Regrowth Pendant if it's a predominantly AP team, or Thornmail if it's a predominantly AD team. Thornmail is a real problem for enemy Yis and Tryndameres Early game before they can get Black Cleaver. After I have my Armor and MR (Thornmail and FON), I immediately start building Warmog's.

Why?
Because of the health regen stacked with FON makes Garen very, and I mean VERY tanky.
Rather a problem for that Annie or Ryze who wants to stun/combo nuke you.

I don't rush Sunfire cape like everyone suggests.
Why?
Because it only gives me +45 armor (Thornmail give +100) and I use other items to build damage/AS. And my crit runes coupled with my "E" makes farming not such an arduous task.

Depending on my team I either tank Garen by stacking another Warmog's, and finally getting a sunfire cape, or I go DPS by getting a phantom dancer and finally an Infinity Edge. The Phantom Dancers, along with Boots of swiftness, exhaust, and your Q make chasing enemies down, and escaping more of a possibility than ever.

By late game you should have 4k health or more, be incredibly fast, and tough to kill. Not to mention Garen's *****in' Ult, that allows you to get in the middle of a teamfight and execute a low HP, fleeing enemy champ.

Hang out with your carry from this point on, and it should give the team a win.
Well I don't see how you consider this a tanky-dps build. This is a pure tank build. The problem with this build is that your spin will be doing absolutely no damage, as it scales with bonus attack damage, and you have none. You do mention an IE, but that will be the only damage item for your Spin, and it comes in way too late. Most games won't reach that long or you simply won't have the gold as you will still have trouble killing off minion waves even at high levels with your current build.

You will be tough to kill but no one will bother to attack you because you don't do damage, they will go straight for your carry and you have no CC to stop them from doing so.

Really all you can do is KS with your ULT and steal the precious kills from the carry you hang around with, assuming they stayed alive.

Garen is strong early to mid game. Take advantage of that time and build some strong attack items to get a good handful of kills.
I usually take boots +3 pots to begin.
3 doran blades on first trip.
next is T2 boots, + brutaliser or phage

As the game moves into the latter stages of mid and late game, transition your role according to the situation. But do go for Atma & FM (sell off Doran blades gradually to make room). If by now your team has upper hand, go for Last Whisper or IE, but if you are focused a lot, go for more HP. This way you still don't have to sacrifice bonus attack damage for Q and Spin.

The HP + Courage (both passive and active) should be enough for you to tank out your Q and E combo.

Only go MR if the other team is exceptionally strong on AP and you are targeted for the burst, because MR items don't synergise with atma's except Banshee's and Garen doesn't need mana.

You can only call Garen a tanky-dps if you synergise his defense + offence all the way through as much as you can.

Kelorin

01-04-2012

I don't think Garen gets enough out of the Sunfire Cape for it to be worth it. I used to consider it the core of his build and rush it. Now I rush Brutalizer and then Warmogs and I havent regretted it one bit.

Also I wouldn't ever suggest a Leviathan. Anyone good enough to know when it is okay to pick one up isn't going to be reading a guide.

Methesda

01-04-2012

FoN = Fist of the Northstar

Wouldn't that be awesome...

AMonkeyCourier

01-04-2012

Garen + no early damage to mitigate his beyond ****ty midgame = useless.

**** itemisation ruins any hope this has of being a good guide. Try my item order instead.

http://clgaming.net/guide/C7