[Guide] Rammus the Magic Pinball

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TyrannisUmbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-15-2010

Updated with a new item build, skill build, rune, and mastery setup as well as updated some key info.

Drillermaniac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2010

Great Guide! Love it, certainly a nice unexpected Rammus. I have tried some AP Rammuses before, but this one outshines them all. I love the 7+ Killing Sprees.

Thank you very much.

Mooker

Recruiter

05-16-2010

Rylai's slow does not stack. Otherwise, great guide!

drizeah

05-17-2010

One big potential problem with this build. In the early laning phase, it should be fairly simple to get first blood, but ONLY if your lanemate actually helps out. Rammus isn't going to deal enough damage by himself to do that. It's rare.

In that case, what do you do? You powerball in, then taunt, DBC, and then get close to death because your lanemate is maybe not aggressive or simply doesn't follow you when you powerball.

If that happens, and you assume they are going to coordinate with you (and don't), it causes a major disadvantage for Rammus. He gets low on health becuse he is the only one harassing, and then has to stay back, preventing creep kills. It just snowballs from there.

Low creep kills=not enough items and behind in levels. Then, if he can't get his ap by that point, he will be completely useless in team fights, cuz he will just get nuked to nothing.

I mean, I really like this build a lot. I'm not saying it's a bad build, and I have successfully used it on my other account, but it relies heavily on good teammates early game. So if solo queuing...be cautious of that.

True Bandito

05-17-2010

Quote:
I mean, I really like this build a lot. I'm not saying it's a bad build, and I have successfully used it on my other account, but it relies heavily on good teammates early game. So if solo queuing...be cautious of that.
Very true. I actually advertise on my summoner description--WTL with aggressive teammate.

Anyway, I have played a few games with AP Rammus and found stacking Doran's Rings helps you great deal early on. (don't laugh, try it, it works) Usually I get three Doran's Ring and boots first. After that, I work on the RoA. Once RoA was done I worked on Rylais but by that time the game was usually over.

Caspid

Recruiter

05-17-2010

The Doran items always seemed to me like a giant waste of money.

Anyway, this is a cool build; I'll def give it a try once I get Flash.

Eat dat chammich

05-17-2010

I remember reading your guide way back and being intrigued but never got around to trying it. With your updates it seems like it takes you a long time to get your AP which is both good and bad. It means that early on you still perform just like a regular Rammus but your increased damage comes so late it seems like you will still be ignored.

Have you thought about a build that focuses on AP/Health/CDR items and defensive ball curl? DBC will let you still act as a tank as well as heavily increasing your damage output if maxed out early. Maxing taunt is awesome but only if you can survive it. The idea would be to use Powerball and Tremors for a bunch of damage with DBC to survive it and a low rank taunt saved for those moment when one of their carries gets on one of yours.

My thoughts are rush RoA and Rylai's. Haunting Guise would give you good magic pen and a reasonable health vamp if you have DBC and Tremors running. Fiendish Codex for CDR. Spirit Visage or Force of Nature late if they have heavy magic damage.

TyrannisUmbra

Recruiter

05-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooker View Post
Rylai's slow does not stack. Otherwise, great guide!
It does in fact stack, diminishingly. I will address other comments later, it's late atm and I need to get to sleep.

True Bandito

05-18-2010

Quote:
It means that early on you still perform just like a regular Rammus but your increased damage comes so late it seems like you will still be ignored...

Have you thought about a build that focuses on AP/Health/CDR items and defensive ball curl?
Three Doran's Rings was my solution. 360 HP, 15 mana per 5 secs, and 30 AP works wonders, since you can get it in the first trip home if done well. Essentially you are getting 2400 gold worth of item effects with 1305 gold. I buy the lvl 1 boots in between. You will have noticeable advantage over your opponents (most are better farmers than you) and have enough HP and AP to last for a while in order to get more expensive item like Catalyst or Blasting Wand.

Granted, AP Rammus is not my favorite build but I had 9 wins and 2 losses so far with Doran's stacking.

Here is the pic. You don't necessarily go straight AP Rammus to appreciate it's value. Regular Rammus builds can also incorporate the 3 Doran's Rings stacks,

Theorycrafter

05-22-2010

No love for double sunfire cape? The difference here lies in the fact that you can farm with Sunfires and you can't do that much with tremors.
Or maybe I'm just wrong.