What a Tank actually is: [IMO]

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rmandraque

Senior Member

05-13-2010

A hero built to sustain a lot of damage. He is often the initiator, the first person to attack, of a team, but not always. A good initiator is a lot more important than an unkillable tank, but both serve a purpose in any team.

Roles of a tank:
-Draw turret fire so your teammates can tower dive and finish of towers with no minions around.
-Be the first pack leader while your team walks through the jungle, searches for the enemy team.
-Tank golum and lizard early on for bad junglers that benefit greatly from the buff.

Good tanks tend to have the best crowd control abilities, and by building themselves to be hard to kill and therefore deterring the enemy from attacking them, they can use these abilities to either keep their teammates alive and help their teammates kill the enemy. And because of this, most tanks are also good initiators.


IMPORTANT:
Not all initiators are tanks. This is usually when the initiators have strong ranged crowd control abilities. Blitzcrank, for example, isnt a tank, but is a great initiator. Same with ashe.

Not all Tanks are the best initiators. Mordekaiser can be an amazing tank, but there are many better initiators.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandraque View Post
A hero built to sustain a lot of damage.
Then tanks are worthless, for obvious reasons.

And again thanks for creating a MISLEADING, INCORRECT thread as a reply to another useful thread, only to CLOG UP and MISLEAD new players.

Isn't not helping people BANNABLE on this forum?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rmandraque

Senior Member

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Then tanks are worthless, for obvious reasons.

And again thanks for creating a MISLEADING, INCORRECT thread as a reply to another useful thread, only to CLOG UP and MISLEAD new players.

Isn't not helping people BANNABLE on this forum?
nope. I'm actually right. Tank are just that, a hero that can sustain a lot of damage and nothing else. Stop confusing terms. TANK /=INITIATOR. And a hero that can soak up a lot of damage is indeed not worthless at all. Many times it is beneficial for the tank to be the initiator, and that is recommended. But all I'm giving is the correct definition that makes sense. Having good initiators is very important for a team, and ALOT more important than having an unkillable tank that cant initiate.

A few times Ived picked kassadin and build him as tank. Why? because I didnt want to play anybody else, and he is a great initiator. Warwick is a great initiator as his lifesteal can make him sustain a lot of damage. Now if im playing TT and im playing as nasus and im the team tank, but I have a warrick in my team, I let warrick initiate because hes the beter initiator, even if he is not the tank. Is that really hard to comprehend. Calling squishy characters tanks make no sense just because they happen to initiate. Go read some Dota of HoN guides, were people have a better grasp of the team aspect of the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandraque View Post
And a hero that can soak up a lot of damage is indeed not worthless at all.
Until you realize you are relying on the OTHER TEAM to make the mistake of ATTACKING THE PERSON WITH THE MOST HP.

How does a tank KEEP AGGRO in this game?

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no such thing as a tank in this game as a role. I can cite DotA and HoN articles to prove my point if you wish.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vangu

Senior Member

05-13-2010

The thing that most tanks can do is they can output a decent amount of damage in one move..that and they tend to have great team support spells. Cho'gath is a tank that can feast to do tons of dmg, silence, and stun an entire team. Sion can put out tons of damage and stun and his shield is a thing that people have to decide to either attack him and get shield off or take an extra 500+ dmg. Shen can taunt you along with giving his teams main dps a lot more survivability and rammus can taunt along with doing decent aoe dmg and slowing. So tanks are a huge bonus to teams. But to answer your question straight forward you keep aggro by letting the other team know you will be doing a good amount of damage to them while they focus on your dps.

If one team has a tank and the other does not and the game is fairly even a good chance both teams will lose 3-4 people so lets say the team with the tank loses all but him and the other has two dps left and is against Cho'gath...odds are if the cho'gath is built right and the battle went fairly well he can kill at least one of the low-life dpses/support/or w/e before they can kill him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rmandraque

Senior Member

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Until you realize you are relying on the OTHER TEAM to make the mistake of ATTACKING THE PERSON WITH THE MOST HP.

How does a tank KEEP AGGRO in this game?

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no such thing as a tank in this game as a role. I can cite DotA and HoN articles to prove my point if you wish.
Are you stupid? Maybe I just dont understand some basics of human communication. SO lets disect what Ive said.

'Tanks are heroes that can sustain a lot of damage'

NOTHING about that statement is untrue. Yes or no? I think the part were you completely disregarded were I said that most tanks are also good initiators, I think thats were you messed up. You are just assuming that by being able to take a lot of damage that a character is useless, that he just decided to become a tank and sit in a corner munching on his nails. Lets say you do as you seemingly are trying to persuade me to do and build amumu really squishy with a pure AP build. But theres no tank in your team. Instead of everybody ignoring amumu while he gets into position for his ult he is stunned and dropped in two seconds. Amumu would be pretty ****ing useless if he couldnt soak up some damage. TANK IS NOT USELESS.

Now another scenario, lets say your team was pretty squishy and even if it isnt the best idea, you build your Dr. Mundo as a tank. After a fight lets say the enemy looses 3 and you loose 1. The remaining two enemies are defending a tower. If you wouldnt have gone tank going after them could be a REALLY bad decision. But thankfully you did, and you have two friends with you that can deal a lot more damage that you at that point in the game. Because you built yourself as a tank you can manipulate the tower AI and they enemy is either dead or gone. You won the tower.

Now I ask you, is what does the term Tank mean to you? What does the term initiator mean to you? WTF IS ASHE. WTF IS BLITZCRANK.

EDIT: You build somebody as a tank BECAUSE you dont want to be attacked. You are a character that need to stay alive. So of course you dont want people focus firing you. Thats the ****ing point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Until you realize you are relying on the OTHER TEAM to make the mistake of ATTACKING THE PERSON WITH THE MOST HP.

How does a tank KEEP AGGRO in this game?

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no such thing as a tank in this game as a role. I can cite DotA and HoN articles to prove my point if you wish.
Boy, this is a fun dialogue. Do you guys really want to introduce new players to LoL like this?

If this is a reply to Echo7's post, then I have to say I agree with his definition of a tank moreso than either ones in here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

05-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
Boy, this is a fun dialogue. Do you guys really want to introduce new players to LoL like this?
I don't want to introduce new players to LoL with the same moronic misconceptions which have existed since release. The OP is continuing to spread them.


If he defines tank as the above, there is no reason to have a tank on a team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rmandraque

Senior Member

05-14-2010

The problem with his definition is that it wrong. He is confusing tanks with initiators. Every team needs an initiator, not every team needs a tank. It is a HUGE misconception that makes no sense what soever. And carados, please answer my questions.

Quote:
A tank is a champion that can force a team fight to occur at a specific location and has an ability package that keeps him/her alive long enough for the rest of the team to start focus firing the CC'd and disorganized opponents.
That is wrong. That is why I have a problem with it. When you look at all the champions in the game this isnt as good a definition as mine. Many people use this definition but it is just wrong, thats why I have a problem with it.

I think it is better for a new player to have clear definitions that make sense, than this ambiguous mess of a definition. Just because you are confused too and need my post as much as new players carados, doesn't mean that it is wrong.

A tank is just what you think it is, it is a character that is hard to kill, how more intuitive can you get than that. And there are ALOT of uses to having a tank, but they are not as important to a team as initiators.

Now what my definition really adds is that a tank isnt automatically the initiator, which Echo7 says, and is just plain wrong. Initiators dont have to be tanks if they can initiate from range. Tanks may be hard to kill, but they can still greatly damage your squishies by their natural strength. Looking at Echo7's games I would have to ask him. Is Blitscrank a tank just because he initiates? That makes no sense, and its alot easier to explain these terms, my way to new players that that erroneous definition you hold on too.

Janna almost fufills his definition perfectly, is she a great tank?

@Xocalty: When I first stated playing lol I never really understood the term and it seemed stupid, but I played along with it. Now that I think back, that definition did ALOT more to confuse me and my friends than help at all, so i just dont want anybody holding on to Echo7's erroneous, widely known, yet non intuitive definition of what a tank is.

@carados: Stop being a ****ing troll and discuss.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

05-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandraque View Post
The problem with his definition is that it wrong. He is confusing tanks with initiators. Every team needs an initiator, not every team needs a tank.
You're making it seem as Tank is a role. Which isn't, assuming you define it as such. Stop putting words in my mouth, troll. Reading my posts will actually help you understand before you go on long rants attacking a straw man.


And why should I discuss in a thread which should've been a reply to the other thread?


123