My Feelings about Dominion as a Mode

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amber Pacific

08-05-2011

I'm just wanting to know how season 2 is going to work with Dominion, is the launch going to kick off the start of season 2 or are they doing something different.

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
The goal with Dominion is the same as League of Legends as a whole; more accessible than other MOBA games, but also retaining competitive depth.

We do know it won't be for everyone, nothing we make ever will be (and if it tries to be, it will usually fail). We talked a lot about why we wanted to do this instead of the original Magma Chamber;

In a game like this, we felt that making another 5v5 classic map had less advantages and more disadvantages. For example, it's quite likely one becomes the "noob map" if the game mode is the same, and it's also more likely that a new map, even if superior, can't dislodge the inertia created by the 7+ years of the classic map we've all utilized up to this point. Additionally, how the map is chosen, what is used in Ranked and tournaments further confounded the issue.

For focusing on our classic competitive community, we're way likely to get bigger wins for you guys by adding more features (Spectator and Replays being big ones here), continuing to improve on Seasons, and making sure we improve our ESports scene.

One thing to be clear about Dominion; it's not "casual mode." It's easier to get into probably since death is less punishing, but we've taken measures to include things that add depth and mastery. Mistakes on the team level are still as punishing as anything, though one feeder is less likely to tank the whole experience (something I'd consider a plus, generally).
Again thank you for responding.

I'm glad you've taken my points on board in some form, I stick by what I said, but I do have faith you will be releasing other features. I was just a bit frustrated at first.

That said, I'll be mad if you don't release a Magma Chamber type map as the next new map

hohums

Software Engineer

08-05-2011
3 of 9 Riot Posts

Most Rioters I speak to only want to play Dominion games now. Its been this way for several months since the map has been nearing completion.

I'm sure there will be people who don't like the map and I've nothing against that. However if the Riot response is anything to go by I think that the complaint may be that no one is playing SR anymore.

Maybe its only Rioters that feel this way. However most Rioters were players before they came to Riot, so I think its a pretty decent sample.

I think the map is extremely fun.

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad

08-05-2011

Also, just for clarification.

Firstly, for those talking about my elo, I'm an EU player, this is a US smurf.

Secondly, I didn't make all my assumptions from the 48 second trailer. There are many, many videos all across various games sites interviewing Rioters, giving info etc.

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post
Most Rioters I speak to only want to play Dominion games now. Its been this way for several months since the map has been nearing completion.

I'm sure there will be people who don't like the map and I've nothing against that. However if the Riot response is anything to go by I think that the complaint may be that no one is playing SR anymore.

Maybe its only Rioters that feel this way. However most Rioters were players before they came to Riot, so I think its a pretty decent sample.

I don't doubt it, but I haven't been that appreciative of the general Riot skill level since the amazing co-op demonstration

Jaster Mereel

08-05-2011

Quote:

No offence but you guys were super excited about a lot of stuff that haven't really panned out well at all. This is why there's a certain amount of cynicism from the community that will always be at odds with your optimism. You guys are optimistic about everything you release, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but what you guys get excited about and the community gets excited about are sometimes two completely different things.

So naturally there's always going to be some disappointment, and the amount of excitement you guys generated this week over a simple announcement kind of put a tarnish on this. If there had been no hype, the outcome would've been entirely different, but as it is, you guys had so many employees bouncing from their twitters to the forums telling everyone that they SHOULD be pumped, that everyone GOT pumped. So when you release a video that's just a glorified "Soon", like any other feature that you guys have had, well, let's just say I hope you guys understood that you deserved that backlash. I love that you guys get psyched about things, but jumping onto the forums telling everyone there was a reason to be pumped just made it all the more worse, because you've done this kind of stuff before: told us that in a few months something great would be coming, giving us a teaser here and there, and then it comes to nothing when those few months are up.

If you guys prove me wrong this time, and actually deliver on the goods right after PAX, I'll never doubt you again, but now, as it is, I expect this to turn out the same as Spectator mode. "Oh you guys will see it right after Dreamhack, you know how we know? Because you'll see it at Dreamhack!"

*after Dreamhack*

"We're still working on it."

This is how I feel like Dominion will turn out. Big hype generated, time passes, and no word is ever mentioned again unless prompted by the community. And now that I have expressed my opinion with absolutely no hostility whatsoever, I will lean back and wait for the inevitable downvotes.

Segmented

08-05-2011

Quote:

How are you going to keep Summoner's Rift games fun and balanced if most of your employees only want to play Dominion?

Will the game's focus shift to that or will it still be on SR? And if no one plays SR anymore, how do you plan to fix that, or do you just shrug it off?

You keep saying things like "Most Rioters only want to play Dominion now", as well as "We expect 50% of players to play Dominion exclusively", but you avoid questions such as those I listed.

It'd be nice to get an answer.

Alkemdah

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segmented View Post
How are you going to keep Summoner's Rift games fun and balanced if most of your employees only want to play Dominion?

Will the game's focus shift to that or will it still be on SR? And if no one plays SR anymore, how do you plan to fix that, or do you just shrug it off?

You keep saying things like "Most Rioters only want to play Dominion now", as well as "We expect 50% of players to play Dominion exclusively", but you avoid questions such as those I listed.

It'd be nice to get an answer.

Well considering that Dominion will not have Ranked mode.. I have a feeling that alot of people will stay at SR. I for one will engage in Dominion when I only have a few minutes to spare, but the majority of my time will be in SR ranked.

On the plus side, I hope all the crappy people end up going to Dominion and freeing up Normal SR and Ranked SR with actual dedicated good players.

Atomic Collider

08-05-2011

Just don't neglect SR. We need a solid foundation.

PresidentCamâcho

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
The goal with Dominion is the same as League of Legends as a whole; more accessible than other MOBA games, but also retaining competitive depth.

We do know it won't be for everyone, nothing we make ever will be (and if it tries to be, it will usually fail). We talked a lot about why we wanted to do this instead of the original Magma Chamber;

In a game like this, we felt that making another 5v5 classic map had less advantages and more disadvantages. For example, it's quite likely one becomes the "noob map" if the game mode is the same, and it's also more likely that a new map, even if superior, can't dislodge the inertia created by the 7+ years of the classic map we've all utilized up to this point. Additionally, how the map is chosen, what is used in Ranked and tournaments further confounded the issue.

For focusing on our classic competitive community, we're way likely to get bigger wins for you guys by adding more features (Spectator and Replays being big ones here), continuing to improve on Seasons, and making sure we improve our ESports scene.

One thing to be clear about Dominion; it's not "casual mode." It's easier to get into probably since death is less punishing, but we've taken measures to include things that add depth and mastery. Mistakes on the team level are still as punishing as anything, though one feeder is less likely to tank the whole experience (something I'd consider a plus, generally).
I get the decision to add this new game mode to appeal to WOW PvP enthusiasts, but you guys have to stop waving stuff in front of our faces and throwing it away. I find the news that you scrapped the Magma Chamber that we have all been eagerly waiting for to be a bigger disappointment than the new Duke Nukem game that took 10+ years to release. It is bad enough news to make me consider joining a different game community, which I don't say lightly, because up until recently, I was content with your steady stream of new champions. But I had Magma Chamber up on a pedestal, and now that I know it's not going to be released, the other maps seem stale. I'm also not a WOW player anymore, and when I was, I was not a huge fan of AB, so unless I am immediately hooked to Crystal Scar on my first few tries, I will probably end up looking for something else to play. What is the point of spectator mode when you can just watch a LOLreplay? Why did we need this limited to 10 page mastery tool when all we had to do was use the external mastery tool that would give us as many permutations as we wanted? Who REALLY is going to pay money to get their summoner name changed? When are you going to fix your log-in queue to verify a correct/incorrect password BEFORE making the player wait 10-30 minutes to find out they had caps lock on? When you have a champion sale, why is it only on sale with RP?

I know this is just another QQ post, but I feel EXTREMELY let down by Riot this time. With the revoked promise of the Magma Chamber, I just find myself less willing to live with the rest of the disappointments and failures, and I find I have a tarnished view of anything positive they accomplish.

I know I am not alone in this.