[Guide] Alenena's Guide to Numbers for Champion Creation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muscratt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

Alenena?s Guide to Numbers for Champion Design

Quote:
I?d like to start off by thanking Riot for making LoL and for making these forums. I?d also like to thank everyone who posts ideas, because they?re great. Also, Yousosmart for making a different guide and convincing me to get up off my ass and do this. His guide is very good, but covers generalities and design thoughts. This guide is to be a reference to numbers, using information from the current champions.
Base Stats and Scaling

Quote:
Quote:
Base Values
Move Speed: 300-330
Range: 100-650
Attack Speed: .5787-.69444
Damage: 42.2-59.33
Armor: 6.75-21
Magic Resit: 30
Health Points: 345-495
Mana Points: 173-302
Health Points Per Second (Regeneration): .85-2
Mana Points Per Second (Regeneration): .82-1.5
Quote:
Points Per Level
Attack Speed: 1.08-3.84
Damage: 2.63-4.2
Armor: 2.7-4
Magic Resit: 0-1.25
Health Points: 67-110
Mana Points: 25-65
Health Points Per Second (Regeneration): .1-.19
Mana Points Per Second (Regeneration): .08-.15
*Note: Health and Mana Regeneration, as listed here and on Champion Variables is PER SECOND. In game, on designs and in most other places it is PER FIVE SECONDS. Please note the difference.

Data Gathered from: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...pion_Variables
Base Damage and Scaling
Quote:
Quote:
This is going to be a short section (kidding- apparently), because to go into full detail would make this thread ridiculously long and very tiresome to do. If someone wants to, go right ahead, I?ll even give you credit. However, I may do it on my own in the future. The given values do NOT include ultimates. Ultimates have a different type of scaling for three reasons. 1) You get them later in the game. If your ult starts by hitting as hard as your rank one Q, you are not going to use it. 2) You can only rank it up three times, not the normal 5. So if your end game R is only a rank three spell, you?re not going to use it. 3) It is game changing. They almost always are not pure damage. They usually also have some sort of buff or debuff applied.

Note that I am using only AP scaling- that way you don?t have too many numbers staring you in the face. However, there is a fairly simple AP->AD conversion rate. One point of AP is worth about .58 Points of AD. This calculation is derived from the values of Needlessly Large Rod and B.F.Sword. NLR costs 1600 and grants 80 AP. BFS costs 1650 and grants 45 AD. Doing some quick math and you get (1650/1600)*(45/80) for a ratio of .58007 AP to AD. So multiply the given AP ratios by .58 to get an appropriate AD ratio- if you?re keeping the same base damage. I did a similar thing with Malphites Ground Slam and armor scaling. Feel free to create variety.

Essentially, you don?t want your abilities too strong. Here?s the range and scaling for a pure damage spell with an associated affect. The format is-- Spell Type: Base Damage (Scaling per rank) (AP Scaling) (Duration)
Quote:
Single Target Direct Damage: 90 (40)(.75)() [Annie?s Disintegrate]
Cone Direct Damage: 85 (50)(.85)() [Annie?s Incinerate]
Targeted Persistent AoE: 25 (15)(.2)(5) [Morgana?s Torment Soil]
Targeted Burst AoE: 120 (50)(1)() [Veigar?s Dark Matter]
Point Blank AoE: 60 (40)(.64)() [Malphite?s Ground Slam]
Attack Modifier: 30 (15)(.86)()[Garen?s Decisive Strike]
%Based Damage: 4% (1%)(.01) [Malzahar?s Null Zone/Vayne?s Silver Bolts]
Single Target DoT: 20 (15)(.2)(5) [Malzahar?s Malefic Visions]
Crowd Control Values
Quote:
Again, these values don't include Ultimates, because ultimates, are, well, ultimate and therefore should be better. I gave slows their own section because there are so many of them, and so many ways that they are applied (however, the other CC's could be applied in new fashions- giving your champion something new). Plus they have weird rules about how they stack- everything esle is a toggle, so they don't stack.
Quote:
Stun*: They all last between .5 and 2s. Over three-quarters are 1s.
Taunt: There are only 3 in the game right now and they all scale over 5 ranks. The weakest starts at .8s the strongest grows to 3s.
Fear: Again, there are only 3 in the game right now and they all scale over 5 ranks. The weakest starts at .5s and the strongest grows to 3s.
Silence: Silences last between 1 and 3s. They average around 2s. Most do NOT scale- they stay the same throughout. However some do scale.
Blind: There are only two blinds in the game- from Teemo and Heimdinger. They go from 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 and 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5
Snares: All snares last between 1 and 3s. Morgana?s is the strongest clocking in at 3s at rank 5. Ryze?s is second clocking in at 2.4. Most others do not scale and instead are 2s long from ranks 1-5.
Quote:
Slows: This is the biggest category of CC. This is what most champions have for CC and it comes in many varietys. There are Skill shots, ground targeted AoEs, PBAoEs, targets abilties and some even have positional requirements. When creating slows- especially if you have multiple slows, remember how multiple slows work. After all movement speed buffs are applied, the first slow is applied. So if a player has a speed of 300 and a 50% slow is applied, They are now moving at 150 speed. If a slow stronger than the first slow is applied, it applies its full effect and the other one applies a half affect. So if a 60% slow is applied, the champion is slowed by 60%+25% or 85% bringing them to 45 speed. If a slow weaker than the first slow, it applies half effect and the other applies its full effect. so if a 40% slow is applied the champion is slowed by 50%+20% or 70% bringing them to 90 speed. All secondary slows will continue to apply 50% effect.
Targeted slows should be the weakest as there is no way to avoid them. Skill shots and AoE can be stronger because the player CAN escape them, meaning that they don?t always apply their effect. As a rule of thumb, don?t make anything stronger than a 40% slow if it is targeted. And don?t make anything stronger than 60% if it is an AoE or Skill Shot. Also keep in mind that if you can slow multiple enemies with it (targeted or PBAoE) that it should not cripple all of them. If it is going to be a burst effect, 35-50% is definitely strong enough- perhaps too strong.

*Includes Knockups and Supressions.
TL;DR
Quote:
Math. And some Words.
Final Statements
Quote:
I hope you found this guide useful. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please leave them below. I?ll try to consistently update this so that it remains a valuable resource.
Some other resources you can use are:
Yousosmart?s guide: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=806997
Zileas?s Anti-Patterns: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=293417
Change Log
Quote:
7/19/11
  • Created with a section for Base Stats, Ability Damage and CC
Wish List
Quote:
  • Mana costs for mages
  • Mana costs for non-mages
  • CDs for various abilties
  • Info on Ults.
  • A basic grasp of grammer
  • A cake. Because who doesn't want a cake?
  • Energy and HP costs
  • Buff values
My Champion Concepts
Amunu, the Sad Yeti: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...php?p=11247371 (Its a joke)
Ergo, Philosopher Warrior: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=988546
Barathos, General of Demacia: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=928882
Crysaline, Empress of Illusion: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=11736319

IS13f505cff6753556a5700

07-19-2011

Corki's Phos Bomb doesnt blind any more?

Parole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-19-2011

- Deleted -

Muscratt

07-19-2011

@PurplishRanger: Nope- it decreases chance to hit by 35% instead. Blinds are a 100% decrease in hitting.
@Parole: Glad to be of use!

ObscureClockwork

07-19-2011

very helpful, and i feel they should sticky this, (along with yousosmart and zileas' guide)

Villanova

07-19-2011

I approve of this thread, I approve of this really hard. This is just what people need to see. Lots of good, solid information. I wish I had seen this earlier, I might not have made so many mistakes with my champions.

My hat is off to you good sir/madam.

Muscratt

07-19-2011

It would be Sir (or dude- thats formal enough for me) and thanks for the approval, both of you!

Yousosmart

07-19-2011

Now this is some helpful stuff, Alenena. I'll link my guide to yours. Maybe you could do the same as a sort ** "reference" thing.

It'll be nice having multiple opinions on how to properly design Champions, after all. I'm only one person, and the best methods should come from multiple viewpoints.

Sir Longfellow

07-19-2011

A lot of other things to consider on the base damages on skills, like morgana's tormented soil reduces magic resist, so if you have an aoe like that that doesn't it wouldn't be too unbalanced if it did a little more dps. Also attack modifiers have to greatly consider the cooldown, and a lot of them have very different effects and in Vayne and Blitzcrank's case it only scales and has no base damage.

Drake O Dagger

07-19-2011

I suggest you also add information on Cooldowns for various types of skills to help create balanced skills with mostly balanced CDs. That kind of info would certainly help with some of my champions. Great guide, and I hope it gets stickied!