Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-14-2011
253 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantris View Post
.....Dodge?

Asking this in a serious way, not QQ. Just wondering what you thought on it in how it fits into LoL? Reason I ask is I remember something about Riot wanting to take dodge out. Might of been a rumor for all I know or some random post I skimmed over.
we've de-emphasized it a lot. We also moved dodge to be pseudo-random.

Amariithynar

07-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Yes, good UI reinforcement and art and so forth can reduce this burden. But some abilities still will have it a lot, and some will have it a little bit. It's a set of trade-offs... but some ways of doing things ARE just better.
So... Does this mean that you're actually going to update the death recap so it properly shows all damage that was done to kill you, split into time blocks, so that you can actually see more than three sources, and it displays properly over time (I'd think the past, oh, 30 seconds recorded would be good)?

deathcoilfeardot

07-14-2011

Quote:
For the record, I still think dodge/crit/miss/resist/etc. have no place in serious competitive games unless they're deterministic. D&D's influence on gaming is undeniable, yet noxious in many cases.

On the other hand, even many cryptographically-strong RNGs have cycles and are therefore pseudorandom, so...

Amariithynar

07-15-2011

Quote:
Does this mean that you're going to de-emphasize crits in the near future as well? Because without a counter to crits other than massive CC, it makes anyone building a AD and Crit build do far more damage than they'd do building just AD and/or ArPen- one of the reasons that autoattack champs like Tryndamere, Caitlyn and Gangplank are so devestating compared to the relatively few AD casters (Urgot, Panth, Ezreal to name a few, even if Panth plays more like a hybrid caster/autoattacker with his Q) is because not only can you do 150% extra damage every swing without a proc-on-cast (sheen/Lich/Trinity) which limits uptime based on your CDs, but there's also no cooldown on how often you can crit- leading to up to 2.5/sec swings/shots doing the same bonus damage you get from Trinity on every swing. That's rather ridiculous.

Ankamius

07-15-2011

Fiddlesticks is the most Anti-Fun champion in the league.

If you're level 8 in the Mid Lane and doing real well without having to go back yet, then wouldn't you consider it anti-fun when Fiddle can just jump on top of you, fear, and drain you to death when you're only a few steps to the tower? I've had that happen a lot recently and it's incredibly frustating.

Madman Reborn

07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankamius View Post
Fiddlesticks is the most Anti-Fun champion in the league.

If you're level 8 in the Mid Lane and doing real well without having to go back yet, then wouldn't you consider it anti-fun when Fiddle can just jump on top of you, fear, and drain you to death when you're only a few steps to the tower? I've had that happen a lot recently and it's incredibly frustating.
That's not anti-fun. That's just unfun and freaking annoying, but not anti-fun. It's only just as anoying as any other tower-diving champ.

Wraithbane

Adjudicator

07-15-2011

Quote:
Well, I used to be a male model. But I got out of it because of how the industry objectifies men sexually. There's more to me than my wind-swept hair, you know?
I can confirm this and then some. The modeling world has yet to recover from your loss.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-15-2011
254 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithbane View Post
I can confirm this and then some. The modeling world has yet to recover from your loss.
Yeah, I still get calls now and then. I give up a lot of money not being in the modeling industry, but I find game design a lot more rewarding.

Nahath

07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff10426 View Post
Really? Rupture? Burden of Knowledge? Rofl.

*gets hit with Rupture, doesnt know what it does, runs away and dies*

"Wow wtf was that?"

"oh, he puts some dot on you that ticks if you move"

"Ah, lol"

Wow that took forever, we really dont need skills like that in the game, at all. TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!
I want a magical voice that explains exactly what happened whenever I ask "Wow, wtf was that?"

DJ Radix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2011

Quote:
Yeah, I still get calls now and then. I give up a lot of money not being in the modeling industry, but I find game design a lot more rewarding.
This quote should be in the promo materials when you pass out recruitment pamphlets for Riot.

"Why Be a Game Designer?"