Gangplank Feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

09-08-2009

I wish the area of his ult was a bit more focused. It's so disgusting to watch a team just ignore it while killing your turret.

Another problem I have with him really isn't his fault but the faults of every other hero in the game. He doesn't have a reliable slow or disable without items, while almost every other champ does, and it makes him feel kinda lacking in a lot of situations. Mallet fills this gap, but his damage feels so lacking if you get this as a first item.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2009

cannon barrage WOULD be fine if the impact size of each ball was BIGGER. that way to would actually do something and be something to fear. worthy ult. very rare occassions its useful, i never get those occasions.

one time our team encountered the enemy team trying to kill nashor, so we engaged them and my friend used cannon barrage in that tiny area, he got ALL of the kills. granted the TEAM did most of the work (what was left of their hp from nashor) but his cannon shots got all of the last hits. it was funny. (note this is the only time i've ever seen it that awesome)

now when i use it, LOOK ASHE HAS 100 HP! I'LL GET HER! she then runs end to end right through the middle and doesnt get hit. failboat. now killing large creep pushes, that actually works.

also the ap ratio on it is absolutely terrible. for being so useless, you cant make it any better. late game its a joke.

klorinator

Adjudicator

09-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulhyra View Post
Parrrley, my only issue is that last game, it started not hitting folks, only thing I can think of is that they were dodging and I got loads of unlucky.
Was there a Teemo?

Razzle Dazzle

Adjudicator

09-08-2009

Parrrley should not be dodge-able... it just makes it useless a lot of the time!

Riot says the ult is being changed soon. Hopefully next patch!

Glyde

09-08-2009

After playing some more Gangplank, I think I've found out what his role is. He's a skirmisher / counter-pusher.

However, Remove Scurvy does not reflect this... Its concept shows that it *wants* to reflect this, but the cooldown is just too damn long. He's supposed to have crazy movespeed weaving around, and as soon as the crowd control hits, he's a goner. He eats his fruit, then the crowd control hits again (From my experience, LoL has a lot of crowd control.)

I'm going to second the motion of making him immune to CC after eating the orange, just for a few seconds. Or make the cooldown something like 10 seconds and reduce the healing.

On his ultimate, I think the point isn't hero killing, but rather discouraging / destroying the enemy's attempt at pushing. The cannonballs need to have either a larger AOE, or the spells AOE itself should be more focused.

Just my two cents.

Stamos

09-09-2009

Er..I'm gonna be straight up. I've played Gangplank the most out of all the heroes. I think he's fine the way he is.

I saw some complaints about Parrley being too weak early game. No way! I use a mana stick in the beginning for the 7 mp5 and I harass the hell out of opponents so early. The damage is fine, it essentially give you ranged access early game as a melee hero PLUS the chance to crit! Late game I focus on crit more and turn it into a damage dealing machine. 500+ crit damage ranged shot?? Yes please!

His ult is balanced as far as I'm concerned too. Yes it's random, but you can place it ANYWHERE on the map. I cant think of how many times I've seen an opponent run away from a friend trying to gank them, and I was successful in slowing them (or outright killing) them before they could get away....2 lanes away! Those cannons do serious damage, and all it takes is a well placed Ult drop and it's a good 85% chance to hit I'd say. Especially if they are running through it. I see too many people just "place" it directly on someone, expecting it to do damage. That's not the best way! Place it where they will be going, or will be retreating to. Force them down different directions. There's been times where I've used it simply as a diversion. If i don't want someone to run north, I'll cast it north of them, make them run another direction, most likely to my own teamates!

I feel Gangplank is amazing and does not need any buffs. You're welcome to join a game with me and watch Gangplank run a 15-0 match! Yarrrrr!

Aknar

09-09-2009

I think all his skills are fine but his ult is not something like ashe's enchanted crystal arrow where you can kill a low health champion 2 steps away from his spawning pool,or karthus' at least double kill ult,of coure is good at panicking the enemy team but 8 seconds is not enough to demolish those huge tanks like cho'gath,doctor mundo,minotaur,etc

Duffie

09-09-2009

Thought some of it over and decided to toss up some proposed changes.

Parrrley
If you shoot an enemy champion in the back, the spell will slow him by X% (probably something low)

Reasoning:
Gangplank tries his very best to be a chaser with his high movement speed and the ability to remove CC, but he just doesn't quite make the cut. Consider that most all melee heroes have an ability to close the distance to an enemy hero AND slow/stun/silence them. Gangplank has none of these. Teemo has a similar skirmisher playstyle and he has more CC and doesn't have to bother with melee range.

Remove Scurvy

Either of the following.
1) Reduce Cooldown
2) Grant immunity to movement impairing effects for a very short duration. (mini-highlander)

Reasoning:
Remove Scurvy is a great move, but does next to nill in team battles. Even if there are just two heroes around him, he will easily be CCed again before he can get away. Consider the CD of Remove Scurvy to the thousands of spammable nukes. Consider Master Yi who has Alpha Strike as an initiator, much higher damage, higher movement speed, and a much more useful anti-CC (highlander). This wouldn't be a big change, just something to put him in line with other heroes.

Boost Moral
Change it to just an activatable (no shooting a creep)
-Toss in an animation that will shoot the nearest creep thats low on hp and have the Pirate laugh insanely if there are friendly creeps nearby.

Reasoning:
A lot of team battles, the only place worth having this, happen away from friendly creeps. Even in a team battle nearby friendly creeps, it can be really difficult and time consuming to have to click the ability and find a creep with 5 enemy Champions running around. This severly limits this ability. Changing it wouldn't make the ability any more powerful, just give it the use that it was intended to have.

Cannon Barrage
Remove Randomness
-A change is apparently in the works, so no real need to discuss it.

//My two cents//

Dulhyra

09-09-2009

I agree with a previous poster saying maybe make the AoE on the drops a bit bigger. Making it a garuantee hit would probably mean nerfing the damage or its ability to use it anywhere. I don't think its aim is to kill outright but rather provide backup in team battles and pushes or defending.

khemintiri

09-09-2009

i cant see how the boost morale skill needs to be changed , hes better with creeps around ,and its already a very VERY good buff he gives if he can find a creep to kill.

and you not having the time to shoot a creep in the middle of a teambattle , well i get it done withing .3 secs everytime when theres a creep around , just practice you aiming and response time =)