[Guide] Dorkbrains' Warwick Guide

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dorkbrains

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2010

UPDATED: 05/17/11

==================
Who Is Dorkbrains?
==================

I am a 1900 Elo Warwick player. I have well over a thousand games by now with Warwick, currently in ranked I have 362 games with a 60% win ratio. I have played Warwick pretty much from the start of my League of Legends career and I do consider myself one of the best Warwick players in this game. I don't think that Warwick is really a champion who should be built one way, every game, but I do think that there are some things that you just HAVE TO DO when you play Warwick and that's what this guide is for. Do enjoy. :P

======
Skills
======

Passive:

Each of Warwick's attacks will heal him for 6/12/18 health, increasing at levels 6 and 11. Each successive attack against the same target will stack this amount of healing to Warwick up to a maximum of 3 stacks per strike. The stacks remain for 4 seconds.

This passive was recently changed from 5/10/15 stacking up to 4 times which was clearly a nerf to an already pretty week passive. Although it sounds nice to be hitting someone and getting 54 life back a hit, it's not really all that simple to really get your passive stacked all the way in a team fight, however, it was a buff in the sense that they made it easier to stack your passive all the way by changing the amount of hits needed to 3. But this passive, in all honesty, is for jungling, they nerfed it for jungling but it doesn't matter. It still works, it does its job. It's weaker, but it does what it needs to do. Let's move on.

Q - Hungering Strike:

Strikes an enemy for the greater value between the flat damage and a percentage of the target's maximum health (can only do flat damage to monsters), and heals Warwick for 100% of the damage dealt.

Flat Damage: 75 / 125 / 175 / 225 / 275 (+1 per ability power) Damage Percentage: 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20%

There is no denial that this is Warwick's absolute best skill. This is basically Warwick's only chance of survival in every teamfight as a melee champion. It does eat up a lot of his mana, but if you have a blue buff on you while you're in the middle of a fight, you can expect staying in the fight dishing out a lot of damage for a long time, it also saves you from a lot of near-death experiences like noming on a minion just before Kartus's ult hits or right before you get last hit by a turret. It's also a great last hitting tool for that guy that's sitting on a tower with only 100 HP, run in, hungering strike, make 300 gold.

W - Hunter's Call:

Warwick lets out a howl that inspires all allied champions. This increases Warwick's attack speed and all friendly champions' attack speed by 25% for a small duration.

Cooldown: 30 / 27 / 24 / 21 / 18 seconds
Attack Speed: 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 %

This is what makes Warwick Warwick. He doesn't really need any attack speed beyond his Madred's Bloodrazor because of this skill. 80% attack speed is like have two Recurve Bows, it's amazing. However, even though this skill is great, I don't like to max it out by level 13 all the time. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time. Use this skill pretty much whenever you're attacking something, just be mindful of the cooldown.

E - Blood Scent:

Warwick senses enemy champions under 50% life within certain distance of him; Upon sensing an enemy at low life he will gain Movement Speed.

Distance: 1,500 / 2,300 / 3,100 / 3,900 / 4,700
Mov. Speed: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 %

This is an amazing skill, although it is buggy as all hell, this skill is still pretty awesome. It is what allows Warwick to gank so well, you don't NEED this skill in order to gank but if you see a gank at level 3, you better throw a point into this instead of Hungering Strike and go gank because it's going to make you so much faster and make your ganking so much easier. I ALWAYS keep this skill on unless I'm sitting in a bush waiting for my team to let the enemy push, but if you do this...MAKE SURE YOU TURN IT ON BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE BUSH!!! This skill has a really annoying delay on it, not to mention its amazing ability to detect someone only when it wants to. I suggest always having it on, but if you don't want to, make sure you know how to play with its bugs.

R - Infinite Duress:

Warwick lunges at an enemy Champion, stunning them for 1.7 seconds. While they are stunned, Warwick quickly strikes the target 5 times for 33% of his attack damage plus some extra damage, and gains 30% lifesteal

Extra Damage: 40 / 60 / 80

The only thing you need to know about this skill is that it's range is large and that you can't be a ***** with it. If you see a good opportunity to rape someone with your ult, then do it. Remember that you can flash away after ulting and they are still suppressed.

===========================================
Pre-Game (Masteries/Runes/Summoner Spells):
===========================================

Masteries:

My masteries change from game to game. I think the best bet for any basic game is 11-4-15 (get 1 in greed, 1 in meditation, 2 in buffs, and 3 in movement speed)

Runes:

Runes are something that you really need to play with and find out on your own. If you'd like, just go to my profile, the first page I have is ALWAYS my Warwick page. It changes all the **** time becuase I'm always trying to speed my jungle up. Most often, you're going to see me running about 6-8 armor pen, maybe some move speed quints and some attack speed marks, with MR on blues pretty much all the time.

Summoner Spells:

Smite/Flash:

Flash is back. You build Warwick tanky, you ult to gimp someone and get the **** out with flash before you die

MY THOUGHTS ON SMITE:

Is it needed to jungle? No. Not at all. Should you take it all the time? ABSOLUTELY!!! Smite isn't there to make jungling faster. Well, it is, but that's not the only reason it's there. Smite is what secures your buffs, Smite is what secures your dragon kills, Smite is what secures your Baron kills. Smite is what steals the buffs of your enemies who DON'T HAVE SMITE!! If you don't take Smite, and you're in a game against me, you better bet your ass that I'm going to ward your buffs and take them every **** time you try to get them :P.

===========
Skill Order
===========

1. W
2. Q
3. Q (E if you have a gank available at that moment, otherwise just go to golems and get level 4)
4. E
5. Q
6. R

Max level Q by level 9, get 3 points into your E, and then max out W. However, if your entire team is strong DPS, then maybe maxing W is worth it, but in all honesty, getting a few points in E is going to make your life a whole lot easier. I don't suggest maxing your E by level 13 since your attack speed from W is just sooo powerful but you do want to get some points in it.

========================
Itemization and Jungling
========================

Start with Cloth Armor, 2 HP pots and a sight ward. Go straight to your blue buff. Have your team protect the top two entrances to blue buff. Hit the golem once, pull it into the bush, use a pot, W, and kill it (smite at 547) then proceed to kill the two mini creeps. Then go over to your wolf camp. Kill the wolves with W, using Q whenver it is up. Next, kill the wraiths, using Q whenever and W, next, kill the Red buff, smite should be up for this, finally kill the golems, ward Dragon and gank.

Jungling with Warwick is not hard. Maintaining your HP is not hard. The only problem you'll have in the jungle is getting ganked by the enemy team. Warding is the only way you're going to beat their team at this. Jungling in the enemies jungle is also another way to beat this. But do be careful when doing so, you don't need to get killed in thier jungle with their buffs. That's just dumb.

After finishing your first route, try to gank, if you can, go do wolves and ****. I don't know, be creative, and smart.

I don't think Madred's Bloodrazor is the best choice anymroe, you need to go Wriggle's and tank now on Warwick. I do think it's a good idea, however, to get Merc Treads in every situation.

Best Items to keep in mind:
Wriggle's Lantern
Spirit Visage
Sunfire Cape
Randuins Omen (Heart of Gold rush is godmode)
Mercury Treads
Banshee's Veil
Guardian Angel

If you have enough HP MAYBE consider:

Force of Nature
Atma's Impaler

Once you have Wriggles and like one or two more items (For instance, Wriggles, Mercs, and SV, you need to start red and/or green potting all the time).

Always buy wards as Warwick, and don't be a cheap ****.
===================
The Alternative to Jungling
===================

Solo lane with Ignite Flash.

Figure it out.

dorkbrains

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2010

Bumped for all its glory

Joebags

04-06-2010

Didn't even read it but i've had my ass whipped by dorkbrains' warwick plenty of times in solomid games so yeah... I'm just assuming its a good guide.

xSJx

04-13-2010

I use the same skill order and love it. Max Q asap and rush bloodrazor is nasty. I'll try skipping the wits end for a banshees soon . You should probably add a bit to the item build . Which boots do you prefer? I like boots of mobility for someone like warwick who is all over the map ganking, but I'm not very high ELO so I might need to start packing merc treads. Anyways, +1.

Geddyn

04-13-2010

This is pretty much how I play Warwick, as well.

My item build is usually: Madred's Razor->Boots->Bloodrazor->Wit's End->Black Cleaver->Bloodthirster.

It changes based on who I'm playing with and against, though.

Thistlemin

04-13-2010

How does your strategy change for TT? I've recently ditched flash/Smite for Exhaust/Ghost and it has been working wonders.

dorkbrains

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemin View Post
How does your strategy change for TT? I've recently ditched flash/Smite for Exhaust/Ghost and it has been working wonders.
I actually run the exact same thing in a twisted treeline match. The smite is almost 100% needed in any 3v3 game so it can't hurt to have that and then flash is so nice because of the same reasons it has in 5v5. I do make sure to get max mana regen from the 13 points that i put into utility since there is no blue buff on TT which really shuts warwick down a lot but it's not really anything you can't handle. I also traded out my attack speed glphs for mana regen/level glyphs for the same mana issue. I put the attack speed quints on as well for TT.

The starting items i use in TT vary. If my team wants to lvl 1 fight. I get a red pot, 2 HP pots, and 1 sight ward. If not. I get a long sword and go jungle. Clearing the top left/right camp first. then going down to the minicamp on my side of lizard and then kill lizard. Obviously wards are a big deal in this map so unlike 5v5 make sure you get help when going for lizard.

JarL

Recruiter

04-21-2010

You need more ArP.

Blue/Red Buffs: 24 Armor
Small Wraiths: 30 Armor
Blue Wraith: 35 Armor (generally smited anyway)
Dragon: 21 Armor
Baron: 100+ Armor

So at the very least you want 24 ArP (9 red quints + masteries = 24 exactly) in order to do blue/red as fast as possible. In the end you are best off just using ArP quints and reds as enemy champions will anywhere between 50-300 depending on their level/gear and your physical dmg will always outdo your magic dmg.

dorkbrains

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarL View Post
You need more ArP.

Blue/Red Buffs: 24 Armor
Small Wraiths: 30 Armor
Blue Wraith: 35 Armor (generally smited anyway)
Dragon: 21 Armor
Baron: 100+ Armor

So at the very least you want 24 ArP (9 red quints + masteries = 24 exactly) in order to do blue/red as fast as possible. In the end you are best off just using ArP quints and reds as enemy champions will anywhere between 50-300 depending on their level/gear and your physical dmg will always outdo your magic dmg.
The armor pen is unnecessary as a jungle warwick to be honest. it's actually something Wazzabi and I talked about together many times and also something i've tested out many times. Since i run Marks/Glyphs as attack speed. im therefore attacking faster and hence dealing more damage making the armor pen negligible. i've also timed both junglewicks, and the attack speed wick was faster than the ArP wick. and finally if you are depending on damage later in the game as warwick, you're either 1. not doing your job as a warwick or 2. you don't have a carry.

as a warwick player your main focus is to get that 1 person on the enemy team insta-gibbed (normally the carry/healer) for this...all you need is a madreds bloodrazor and maybe a wits end if you really want one. you're not really supposed to be autoattacking anyone to the point where armor pen is playing such a huge role. and also...unless you are going last whisper first or something of that sort with warwick, the armor pen runes are going to ultimately be completely worthless. your runes as a warwick are for optimal jungling they are not for late game fights and even so, when you get to late game that 29 armor pen you get from runes isn't going to help you as much as you think it will. im not saying that the attack speed most definitely will...but the faster you're attacking, the faster you're procing your passive, and also the more damage you are dealing...since madreds bloodrazor deals magic damage not physical (ie. not affected by armor pen)

=== kinda a summary ===

i guess the easiest way to sum this all up is...if you think you need armor pen it's because the enemy team is stacking armor, which 29 armor pen isn't going to help out with

and besideds. if they are actually stacking armor, you're raping them with magic damage via bloodrazor, and you really aren't the sustained damage dealer...you're the clean up crew and carry insta-gibber.

Zers

04-21-2010

there is no point of dodge runes if you not going into nimbleness.... stack more attck speed

12345 ... 9