LoL - "Deceptively Free"? No.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aethernet

04-03-2010

I think the developers deserve the money they're making.

I've gotten 5-10 friends to start playing because it costs nothing to start playing and is still fun even if you don't spend any money whatsoever.

123e

04-03-2010

This is seriously ******ed

They say there not against you having to earn rewards, but they still are at the same time

Truhls

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Stars View Post
http://goty.gamespy.com/2009/special-awards-22.html

Whoever wrote that should be fired for slander.

I had spent zero dollars on this game up until Urfwick. I have plenty of champions and enough T3 runes to fill two general pages for the champions I play most.

LoL is not deceptively free, LoL is free.

And Gamespy is trash-tier.

Though soon I will be buying more RP for IP boosts and skins but anyone could easily play this game without paying a all.
And let me guuess, you played "Hundreds" of games as that article suggested to get those items, correct?

So you sunk your time into the game, to unlock the game, thus making it deceptively free. It isnt free, as champs will always be locked untill you play 1000's of matches.

Meta

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truhls View Post
And let me guuess, you played "Hundreds" of games as that article suggested to get those items, correct?

So you sunk your time into the game, to unlock the game, thus making it deceptively free. It isnt free, as champs will always be locked untill you play 1000's of matches.
It's not the fact that what he's saying isn't somewhat true, it's that it's said with a lot of bias.

For example:

"The game wasn't positioned quite so well in terms of the customer's financial options."

...but wait, what options do you have with most other games? Usually only 1: buy it. With LoL, you can either unlock champions all for free over time, unlock the vast majority for the cost of a typical game, or unlock only the ones you like with smaller amounts of cash. Sounds like a lot of options to me.

"I can't say what effect the infuriating unlock system might have on LoL's competitive longevity"

Personally, I found the unlocking system extremely refreshing. I bought both of the bundles, and since have pretty much only unlocked champions with IP. Most games you'd have to pay for downloadable content regardless, or pay a monthly fee, but here I get it for free.

Personally, I prefer a review to attempt to be as unbiased as possible. If he had simply stated the facts, then I would have been fine with it. Instead, he finds the need to smear his extreme bias all over it, which in some cases makes very little sense at all.

xKLG

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyFortress View Post
Wow dude. First off, almost everything is an opinion. Truth is relative to the person, so don't just yell at him for being wrong.

Second, if you're going to do it, you don't have to be such an *** about it.

In regards to the OP, I myself paid 20 dollars for it and haven't regretted it. My friends however paid nothing and enjoy the game just as much.
When people are dumb and make dumb points, I point out that they are dumb. It's an awful flaw I have. Something about not liking dumb people.

Meta

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzL View Post
It's an awful flaw I have.
Yes, arrogance is a pretty awful flaw imo.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

04-03-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Stars View Post
http://goty.gamespy.com/2009/special-awards-22.html

Whoever wrote that should be fired for slander.

I had spent zero dollars on this game up until Urfwick. I have plenty of champions and enough T3 runes to fill two general pages for the champions I play most.

LoL is not deceptively free, LoL is free.

And Gamespy is trash-tier.

Though soon I will be buying more RP for IP boosts and skins but anyone could easily play this game without paying a all.
I agree with you on this point that LoL is free, not deceptively free, and I'm thrilled that you decided to support us with the urfwick skin. Hopefully we have more things in the future you want to spend money on that keep to our promise to gamers of not selling hard power.

W/ regards to gamespy in general though, I think they really understand the game (their EIC is a level 30 summoner and pretty high elo, 1700s if I recall correctly -- very rare to see that amongst the press with how busy they are). They have given us a lot of favorable coverage -- we really appreciate their support, and I think overall, their review was very fair.

Gamespy has a lot of journalistic integrity, and that means they have to also dock products on points that some players WOULD feel even when they, the reviewers, personally like the product. I think its fair to say that some players probably do feel that way, even though its not the majority opinion of players and we've tried very hard to fight that perception and keep LoL as fair as possible.

I think gametrailers.com gave us similar coverage -- they love the game, but tried very hard to give us an unbiased, fair review because they also have an obligation to gamers to give balance and have integrity.

ConeEtho

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefam View Post
You know I hate arguing with you but...

4 champions that cost 6300 IP = +20k IP = +200 victories. You have to play literally over 900 games to unlock everything.
So? You will play to unlock everything to err... PLAY with everything right? So what is the problem in having to play to play? I can't see a logic in the complainment.

The Johninator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

To be fair, they also gave LoL "The game that keeps on going" award.

http://goty.gamespy.com/2009/special-awards-2.html

BAGELBOT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeEtho View Post
So? You will play to unlock everything to err... PLAY with everything right? So what is the problem in having to play to play? I can't see a logic in the complainment.
The logic is, you have to spend countless time unlocking content that you should already be able to have fun with. I understand there is a free rotation to gauge whether or not you like a champ, but even then you don't have a definite time when you know a prospective champ will be available. What happens if you decide to buy it without playing it, then you find out that it's really not your thing? You have just wasted a LOT of time for basically nothing, and you will have to do it all over again, and again, and again, and again...

I'm all for unlocking content as well, it adds a fresh element to an otherwise stagnant game (speaking generically here). However, when you have a large amount of champions immediately unavailable to you, you could spend a huge amount of time without ever really obtaining that champion that you could potentially REALLY enjoy. For example, my girlfriend has been playing for several months and hasn't found a champ she has enjoyed and hated the fact that a large number of champs weren't available for her to try despite buying the Collector's Edition. She had to wait over 10 weeks (estimate?) to even get to try a character she fell in love with, Nidalee.

The argument can go either way, this game in its essence is free. As I stated before, you don't have to pay a single dime and can still have an enjoyable experience (as many of you have stated). However, you risk the potential of not being able to play the game fully and completely without investing (once again) a substantial amount of time or money. I love this game and have spent money on it myself, so don't think I am biased in the matter.

tl;dr: Although as a free game it is good, you are still investing a lot of time in order to experience things that could potentially allow a better LoL experience to begin with.