Your sound design is really messed up

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AD TF

06-02-2011

This has probably been brought up before but, honestly, I don't care enough to do a search, but just enough care to make this thread.

Your sound location (or whatever it's called) is way off... you have to be like directly in the center of the screen to hear what your champ (or any other champ) is doing. Like if you move even slightly to the east/west/north/south the sound completely shuts off or goes extremely silent. For example, let's say I'm farming a wave of minions with a melee champ... if I move the screen an inch to any direction the sound of my minion slaughter either shuts off completely or goes very silent. This is a MAJOR issue with your sound design... so obvious that I'm thinking it's intended this way so you can't hear an enemy in the jungle right next door? Which is really unfortunate because your sound effects are great

Maybe it's something wrong with my system but I seriously doubt it because every other game works fine.

Other than that, awesome job with the sound effects. The abilities, voices, hit sounds, are all fantastic and memorable. You guys should be given a raise.

LimitlessChaos

06-02-2011

Ok so that's a relief. I thought it was just some setting of mine or my hardware. So there's really nothing you can do about the whole lack of sound thing? I swear I can always hear the sounds on my fiance's game when she's playing next to me on the Mac beta.

It's a major bummer to not be able to hear my characters clobbering things or Cho'gath's freaky death cry.

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

06-03-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. We are currently working really hard to resolve this issue. Until then, make sure that you sound options in Windows are set to stereo and not any form of surround. This might alleviate some of the issues until we get the proper fix.

gzboli

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2011

Just wanted to chime in that this is a concern for me too. Sounds in the middle of the screen blast way above vent/iTunes/etc, and sounds at the edges are inaudible. I would actually be 100% fine with flat sound for all areas of the screen.

MCXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2011

In stereo panning is an issue as well.

I play with a headset and the panning from side to side of the screen is way way too hard. As it stands it seems that location on screen is 100% indicative of panning (full left side of screen = 100% left pan) the problem here is your field of view is not 180 degrees.

I'd suggest making the curve for panning limits somewhere closer to a 25/75 split at max separation.

That, and also, no footstep noises.

I want my hardcore Foley work, I want it to splash when I die in river!

Bilge

06-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. We are currently working really hard to resolve this issue. Until then, make sure that you sound options in Windows are set to stereo and not any form of surround. This might alleviate some of the issues until we get the proper fix.
This has nothing to do with Windows settings. My sound card doesn't even have that useless option since it's a pro audio external card. OP is exactly right. You can test it easily by using taunts/jokes/laughs.

raidonkill

06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMastini View Post
This has probably been brought up before but, honestly, I don't care enough to do a search, but just enough care to make this thread.

Your sound location (or whatever it's called) is way off... you have to be like directly in the center of the screen to hear what your champ (or any other champ) is doing. Like if you move even slightly to the east/west/north/south the sound completely shuts off or goes extremely silent. For example, let's say I'm farming a wave of minions with a melee champ... if I move the screen an inch to any direction the sound of my minion slaughter either shuts off completely or goes very silent. This is a MAJOR issue with your sound design... so obvious that I'm thinking it's intended this way so you can't hear an enemy in the jungle right next door? Which is really unfortunate because your sound effects are great

Maybe it's something wrong with my system but I seriously doubt it because every other game works fine.

Other than that, awesome job with the sound effects. The abilities, voices, hit sounds, are all fantastic and memorable. You guys should be given a raise.
It might be a fall off issue. It's a curve that calculates the gradual fading of the sound when you move perspectives. But its tricky. Sometimes you switch screens too quick that it needs to adapt to your speed without giving bad transition of audio. But it can be done by code or by the sound designer. It's a piece of cake for them.

AD TF

06-24-2011

Any ETA on a fix? Still a huge problem.

CyberTootie

06-28-2011

Audio positional and surround issues have been a problem as long as I've been playing since 2009. There's no evidence that Riot is "working really hard to resolve this issue" because if that was the case, it would've been fixed already.

Billco

07-08-2011

I'd like to chime in my own experiences. My setup is a bit out of the ordinary, in that I am using (mid-range) studio gear. Yes, I like to play the occasional game on my media workstation

The stereo panning is extremely exaggerated, as stated by MCXL. I am running in a stereo configuration, and Windows 7's sound settings reflect the same. When the champ is dead center, they sound fine, but as soon as they move an inch to the side, the sound is nearly hard-panned to that side. The stereo image is not linear at all.

Here's my take of it, as programmer and sound engineer My screen is 2560 pixels wide. If the sound source is dead center at x=1280, the sound should play at 0.7 volume (-3db) from both channels. If the source is at the left edge where x=0, play the sound at full volume in the left channel only. Everything in between is a linear approximation, with the same side ranging between 0.7 and 1.0, and the opposite side from 0.7 down to nothing. This results in an extremely simple yet "good enough" approximation of sound attenuation.

That alone will give League much improved positional sound. To the extra mile, you could play sounds outside the viewable area by attenating the one remaining channnel below 1.0, again proportional to half the screen width. So to continue my example, if a champ were 640 pixels past the left edge of my screen, the sound should play at half volume (-6db) in the left channel.

For pure flair, you can look into simple filtering. Sounds below the champ would be gently lowpassed to cue proximity, and sounds above the champ should be highpassed to imply distance. That's poor-man's 3D audio

To go beyond this, you'll want to switch to something like OpenAL or irrKlang Pro. There are other 3D libraries but they tend to have per-user licensing fees that obviously won't scale very well for a Free-to-Play game.