[Guide] Rammus the Magic Pinball

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demonwrath

04-01-2010

Okay, so i just played a game where I was able to use my build, and I ended up changing it up a bit. The only thing I didn't get was my Guardian Armor =(

But this is what I had at the end of the game:
1. Ninja Tabi
2. Frozen Heart
3. Deathfire Grasp
4. Rod of Ages
5. Abyssal Scepter

All in all, this build was hilarious, fun and POWERFUL. After i got the Abyssal Scepter I led the charge for a mid rush and basically killed EVERYTHING in our way with my Tremor that was on a 36 sec cooldown and did 195+75 (I think) dmg per second...

Not to mention my Defensive Position was returning 104 damage per hit.

I am also thinking of changing up my runes to make it so my red ones are +AP, but we will have to see.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

The new Haunting Guise will be a key item for AP Rammus.

OctopusDropkick

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeignFeign View Post
do you know the exact number where armor deduction caps? Do you have any resources to back that? If this is true, it certainly would be something to consider
This isn't the case. What armor does is the following;

Every point of armor adds an additional 1% of your total HP toward a particular damage.

Case in point;

Bob the Dillo has 1000 HP, 100 AR, 0 MR.

Bob the Dillo eats a thousand point ball fireball. It kills him, as it inflicts a perfect 1000 damage.

Bob the Dillo then eats a thousand point fist. It reduces his life to 500 HP, as it inflicts 500 damage. You have to punch Bob the Dillo a second time to kill him.

Likewise, 100 AR is like having 2000 HP vs physical damage, if your HP was 1000.

200 AR would be like having 3000 HP. 300 AR 4000 HP and so on. It is linear.

peyo

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bandito View Post
The new Haunting Guise will be a key item for AP Rammus.
it is out now and I'd like to see some update on this guide, as Rammus is free this week

Wildkarde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2010

Just played a quick practice game with Rammus and this build. Its a lot of fun! Good guide.

Hopefully you update it with any changes regarding items and such.

TyrannisUmbra

Recruiter

05-11-2010

I'm planning on working on an update sometime this week. As for some of the more recent comments:

The Armor/MR thing: It's true that armor/MR increases your effective health based off of a percentage of total health per 100 Armor/MR. However, at a certain point, armor/MR is no longer the most effective way to increase effective health.

At level 18 with no items, Rammus has 1968 HP, 89.4 armor, and 30 MR. This makes his effective health for physical hits 3727.39 HP, and for magic hits 2558.4 HP. Overall effective health is 3142.9 HP.

Adding 100 armor, Physical effective health becomes 5695.39 HP, overall becomes 4126.9 HP.
By instead adding 860 health, your physical effective HP becomes 5356.23, magic effective HP becomes 3676.4, and overall becomes 4516.32, an overall increase, and not much of a decrease at all for physical.

But remember, Rammus has DBC, giving him a bonus 150 Armor and MR... so let's redo these calculations.

With DBC, you have roughly 6580.99 effective physical health with no items, roughly 5549.76 effective magic health with no items, and 6065.38 total effective health.

By adding 100 Armor, you have 8548.99 effective physical health, 7049.38 total effective health.
By adding 100 MR, you have 7537.44 effective magic health, 7059.22 total effective health.
By adding 860 health, you have 9456.83 effective physical health, 7974.96 effective magical health, and 8715.9 total effective health -- which is already the threshold where the same cost in health beats the same cost in armor. The magic resist is much more expensive.

So while using DBC, you've already passed the threshold where health is better than armor/MR. In addition, almost every source of damage in this game is magical in nature, meaning that armor is less effective than MR. In addition, your armor can get pierced in large quantities, but your health cannot. Bloodrazor is reduced by MR -- which is one of the main focuses of this build.

As for some of the new items: I'm going to test some of them out in a build. I'm thinking that Haunting Guise will be core, not sure about others. I'm also contemplating changing my rune setup as well, since I changed it for when I picked up Shen.

As for the summoner spells: I've been using Ghost a lot recently, though I am loathe to drop Flash on Rammus. I may think of trying Ghost/Flash.

Bechermeister

05-11-2010

1v1 this rammus cant kill tank rammus

in 5v5 this rammus wont be that good as tank rammus.

1v squshie this rammus can kill him

overall 2 v 1 for tank rammus.

fun build,but if you want to stack AP there is a more effective tank for it, play singed he has similiar design pattern.

ap/tank build is most effective on singed.

try it on rammus, maybe that will be rammus playstyle breaking

btw singed and rammus are mine two main tanks.

EcoEco

05-11-2010

Viable, yes

Awesome, doesn't sound like it

More like a Hybri tank-nuke build

To my understanding, Rammus's AP ratio isn't bad. The cooldown for the skills isn't too bad either. It'll be up for sure for every battle. R is only a minute long cooldown. But as for as nuking and killing people goes. You would probably still start off with Q, and then do a few melee swipes then W+E if they run away right? R+Q if R is on or R right after you hit them. But once you use Q, it might not be up again before they ran away quite far (at least not until you got a Rylai or CDR item).

Thats one of Rammus's main problem going for nuking/damaging builds. Your nuke/damaging skills are Q and R mainly. W does some but very little in comparison, imo. You use Q to initiate, so probably you won't be able to use that again if the enemy got flash, ghost, or high movement speed or something. For R to be useful, you NEED to be faster than your opponent or they are silly enough to stand there. Well all this IS for a nuking/damaging Rammus. But yours is semi tank too, so popping R while tanking shouldn't be the problem right? That depends how long you live.

I think, if you're the ONLY tankish champion on your team. Please don't go this build. If there is another tankish champion, feel free to; it might end up better.

TyrannisUmbra

Recruiter

05-12-2010

It's already been addressed: the AP is not to make you a supercarry. You only get as much as exists on tanky items. The benefits of this build are BETTER tanking during DBC, which will pretty much always be up after you initiate, which is when you'll take the mass damage. Outside of DBC you'll be less tanky than a Rammus that stacks Armor/MR yes, but not by much at all. The difference as I've pointed out is one of only a couple hundred effective health. You'll also be doing much more AoE damage to an entire team, which makes you MUCH more useful. Massively increased damage on Powerball is a secondary form of high threat and allows for much easier farming.

Read the thread and info before posting, please. This build is incredibly deceptive. It looks like it would be terrible, but it's very good, for very specific reasons. Mostly it's a strong build due to DBC -- I've tried the same build on other champions and it doesn't work nearly as well.

ticklemepudge

Recruiter

05-15-2010

Great guide. This is my new favorite hero.