[Program] LoL-Starter (EU+US)

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

isobold

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

This tool is outdated. The successor can be discussed in this thread: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...1#post11549291

For those of you who regularly play on both servers, the new patcher offers an easy way to switch. Which server the client connects to is determined by a single line in your RADS\system\launcher.cfg
While you can adjust it accordingly each time you want to switch, I made a tiny program which can save you the hassle.

LoL-Starter
Starts your LoL-Client with appropriately adjusted launcher.cfg to join US or EU with a single click. You might get it from the Tools website:Tools Website.
Direct installation: Direct installation
New beta available: http://lol.noamik.de/al/
LoL-Starter requires you to have a current LoL-installation as it will just start the client just like you would.

Installerversion
For easy usage there is an installer version which will install LoL-Starter for you, create a desktop icon and a start menu entry. If you want to remove it, you can uninstall it with windows program manager. This version is for those who just want to click the setup.exe and be done.

Standalone-Version
For those of you who, like myself, hate to install thousands of programs I created the standalone version which requires no installation. Just unzip it to where ever you want to have it and start the LoL-Starter.exe
To uninstall just delete the folder you created for LoL-Starter and nothing will be left on your system.

Usage
While LoL-Starter will try to find your LoL-installation-directory by itself, it could happen to not locate it. In this case just click on "Change LoL-Folder" and navigate to your LoL-installation. You might type the path manually as well.
To start LoL, just click on either: "Start LoL EU" or "Start LoL US".
Once the LoL-Launcher itself has started, you can safely terminate LoL-Starter, it is not required anymore.
LoL-Starter will remember your LoL-Folder when terminated till the next start.
You need an EU-account to be able to play on EU. Don't forget to swtich your region to EU when registering your account.

Known Bugs/Problems
If you use TS3-Overlay-Plugin the GUI of LoL-Starter will become inresponsive. In this case you need to go to: Settings -> Plugins -> DirectX Overlay Plugin -> Settings, choose Profile: "LoL-Starter.exe" and select: "Disable Loading". LoL-Starter should now be responsive again (you might need to restart TS3 and LoL-Starter first, to clear remaining Hook-Problems).
- atm the switch back from US to EU fails in rare cases for some users. In this case you either won't even be able to login (wrong PvP.Net-Version error, you can check that on the login-window on the top left: US is atm: 1.38.39, EU has to be 1.36.37). The reason is the LoL-Launcher not having deleted some part of your US-Installation properly. If you are hit by the problem, go to your LoL-installation-folder and there to \RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\. There you'll find to subfolders: 0.0.0.61 and 0.0.0.63. The folder 0.0.0.63 is a remainder of your US-Installation and has to be deleted or moved.
TLDR: if you can't connect to EU anymore, you might be hit by a rare bug of Riots LoL-Launcher.
Solution: Go to your LoL-installation-folder and there to the folder \RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\. There you'll find two subfolders: 0.0.0.61 and 0.0.0.63. The folder 0.0.0.63 has to be deleted or moved.
- if you get really unlucky, you will get kicked after champ select (error: Client version 1.0.0.121, Server version 1.0.0.120). To prevent bad surprises you should consider starting a Custom-Game after switching back to EU and leave it at the fontain without any penalty. In this case you have to delete the contents of RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\releases\. LoL-Launcher will fix it and if you are fast enough, you are back in your game before the other players even spawned.

FAQ
F: Which patches shall I select?
A: As long as both server have the same patches, it doesn't matter. I recommend to use the one of your region. You may also use "Auto-Switch" which will automatically choose the appropriate patcher. The upside is your launcher will automatically fix itself on launch (which will be usefull, when one server is patched and the other isn't). The downside is the launcher will sometimes download unnecessary files. I recommend to use Auto-Switcher during patch-days and to not use it after the second server got patched as well. If you have any trouble to connect to either server, just put Auto-Switcher back on ...
F: What happens, if US and EU have mismatched server versions? What happens if US got the new patch but EU doesn't?
A: If US got patched and EU doesn't and if you chose US-patches, you will not even notice. You will be able to play on both servers. If you chose EU-patches, you will get an client-outdated-error when trying to connect to the US-server. In this case close the LoL-launcher, select US-patches and restart LoL with LoL-Starter. The same applies vice-versa, if EU gets patched first.
In the very unlikely case of US and EU being incompatible (so US can't play on EU and EU can't play on US), you will have to switch your update-region according to the server you want to play on. The LoL-Launcher will fix your installation accordingly on each switch.
F: I selected German/French/what-ever language, but my US-client is still English?
A: AFAIK language selection is for EU-servers only. That's why LoL-Starter always defaults to American English, if you connect to the US-Server. I could however add language support for US-servers as well, should LoL support different languages there as well.
F: Why is there a textbox below the language selection? What does de_DE/en_GB mean?
A: Riot keeps releasing new language versions of LoL. As I can't guarantee to update my tool in time, I made this box where you can insert your language manually. Should LoL be available in Switz German one day, you would put de_CH in there. The first part of this designates the main language, the second part the corresponding dialect.
F: What does LoL-Starter do to my LoL-installation? Could it break?
A: Even so there is always a minimal risk of a software-bug, your installation will not break. If you do not trust LoL-Starter, you can do a backup of your RADS/system-folder. Worst case you restore that backup, restart LoL and the launcher will fix everything. Additionally LoL-Starter creates a backup of your files at its first start. You can locate this backup using "?" -> "Easy-Debug".
F: How do updates work?
A: Since version 0.3 LoL-Starter will make a lookup at startup and notify you of newer versions. You might then choose to install those or skip it.
F: I do not like to install a myriad of tools?
A: I don't either. That's why there is a stand-alone-version, which will install nothing on your computer. Just unpack it where ever you like and start it. You should however not use auto-updates in this case, as they will install LoL-Starter. You will have to grab the new version manually then.
F: Where does LoL-Starter installs itself to?
A: LoL-Starter is a .Net-App with Click-Once-Installation. The Windows Installer installs those automatically to: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\Data. You should not touch the data there manually, but always use the software management tools of windows.
F: Will LoL-Starter steal my login?
A: LoL-Starter has no access to the login process. If you are really paranoid, you can do all the configuration with LoL-Starter, than close the opened launcher and start lol.launcher.exe manually.
F: Is LoL-Starter free of viruses?
A: LoL-Starter is developed by a single person, being me. I guarantee you I do not write malicious code at all. On a side-note it would be pretty stupid of me to host malicious code on my own web-server using my own domain, which allows anyone who wants to to identify me.

Changelog:
Version 0.8.0

• Added some advanced initialization code
  • fixed some bugs
  • added initial backup of your files, so you can restore them manually if LoL-Starter fails somehow
  • massive reorganization of code to prepare for new EU-servers
Version 0.7.5
  • added some more debug-info in case of a crash
Version 0.7.4
  • fixed a bug which would cause LoL-Starter to crash, when LoL was updated, the launcher closed and then relaunched by LoL-Starter
Version 0.7.3
  • new error-window which catches unexpected crashes and allows for some easier bug-reports
Version 0.7.2
  • will now start LoL as Admin, if installed into a UAC-protected directory
Version 0.7.1
  • intermediate version
Version 0.7.0
  • fixes a bug which could errase your masteries and rune-pages when you used the same summoner name on both servers
  • fixed a bug which would prevent LoL-Starter from properly switching login names
Version 0.6.5
  • minor bugfixs and usability improvements
Version 0.6.4
  • minor bugfix related to login-names, when starting LoL multiple times without restarting LoL-Starter
  • should fix problems with auto-installer on Windows 7 (it does for me, pls report further bugs!)
Version 0.6.3
  • Help is now formated and reorganized
  • UAC won't be tried on Windows version before Vista anymore, LoL-Starter will now try to reset file Attributes if necessary before editing config, without using UAC
Version 0.6.2
  • added an Auto-Switcher-Checkbox for patches, if checked the appropriate patcher for each server is chosen
Version 0.6.1
  • LoL-Starter now features a help&debug-button in the upper right part of the window
Version 0.5.1
  • LoL-Starter will now ask for admin rights, if LoL-Starter can't write to your LoL-folder (this happens with older installations, where LoL got installed to "Program Files")
Version 0.4.0
  • LoL-Starter will now remember your respective last login name for EU and US (if you made LoL remember it)
Version 0.3.3
  • Fixed bug which had made Teemo disappear :-(
Version 0.3.2
  • Check-box for termination on launch added
Version 0.3.1
  • Code reorganization
Version 0.3
  • Auto-updater integrated, will now propose to install new version on program start, if available
Version 0.2.1
  • now stores configuration on termination, this keeps configuration changes done after last LoL-start
Version 0.2
  • language switch option for EU
  • better game installation folder detection
  • code reorganized
  • fixed some minor bugs
Version 0.1.0.17
  • Added option to adjust the update server used for updates manually
Version 0.1.0.16
  • Quick-Fix to prevent mix of us-locale and EU-servers
Version 0.1.0.15
  • LoL-Starter now adapts the launcher to use the appropriate language which also enables the launcher to show the proper Online status
  • LoL-Starter will now default you to en_GB if you never played on a European server before (resulting in some downloads once you start EU the first time), LoL-Starter will remember your EU-language-choice while playing on US
  • LoL-Starter will now adjust your launcher to get updates from the proper server farm, guaranteeing you to always have the current patches off both servers (patches not causing trouble while switching has been tested and is working as intended by Riot)

WhatsAGrimace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

Can we have a background picture besides Teemo?!
also very nice program.

Revive Is OP

05-05-2011

Love the Teemo.

EnragedBadger

05-05-2011

What happens when one server has been patched and the other hasn't? I had a similar program to this for the old client but my install got broken, I think because I tried to switch after US had been patched but EU hadn't.

isobold

05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnragedBadger View Post
What happens when one server has been patched and the other hasn't? I had a similar program to this for the old client but my install got broken, I think because I tried to switch after US had been patched but EU hadn't.
This shouldn't be a problem also I can not guarantee it until I tried on next patch day. If you want to be sure, make a backup-copy of your lol-folder, so you can switch back. In any case it will not brake your installation. The new patcher was introduced specifically to be able to run different versions of the client (essentially for replays, but it helps with server switches as well).

Worst-case you will not be able to connect to EU while it still has the old patch while you already got the new one for US till EU gets updated as well (usually within some hours).
The expected behavior of the new RIOT patcher is to read the config and download missing stuff. But again: I can not guarantee the patcher will be working as promoted by Riot, as I simply have no control over what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsAGrimace View Post
Can we have a background picture besides Teemo?!
also very nice program.
I haven't planed this atm, as it will bloat the pre-launcher (which you will only see for some seconds, till you selected your server ^^). I might however do it in the future, if there is lots of demand for it.

EnragedBadger

05-05-2011

Ok thanks.

MindChild

05-05-2011

So this really works?
Switching between EU and US without problems?
Im just a little bit screwed that my LoL crashes or something like that when a patch comes out :/

E: Could you tell me how to switch between EU and US manually, so I could change it?
Will use the LoL Starter anyways, but I would feel safe and I could change it back from EU/US when I have to (and LoL installer dont works, patching issues,...)

isobold

05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindChild View Post
So this really works?
Switching between EU and US without problems?
Im just a little bit screwed that my LoL crashes or something like that when a patch comes out :/
It works like a charm. You might however make a backup copy of your lol-folder if you want to be 100% sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindChild View Post
E: Could you tell me how to switch between EU and US manually, so I could change it?
Sure: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege..._new_launcher/ (scroll down for enhanced batch files I made)

VashTheStampede

05-09-2011

thx for this

isobold

05-10-2011

I released an update. While it is not mandatory I encourage you to use it, if you want to switch servers while patching is ongoing. If you do not update, you might face a server unavailable message, even if servers are in fact online (if you have the US client, EU will be shown offline, even so online when only US is offline, to EU-user the reverse problem will occure with the old LoL-Starter).

12345 ... 8